NZQN Airport Scenery Color

Larry Wigmore

Gentlemen,

I purchased  NZQN   over the holidays  and it  is a tremendous enhancement over the default FTZ NZSI.  My compliments to the designers.

I have one complaint that the colour rendering does not at all match the default  ( at least on my computer) . In particular the water as shown in attached comparison pics.  I run in DX10 mode with Steve's Fixer but DX9 shows the same. I have REX but this makes no difference either.

This spoils somewhat,  otherwise very good scenery for me. Can I do something from my end to match the NZSI color scheme?

Thanks

Larry

Hn73i.jpg
uQ7GX.jpg

Alex,

No intentional use of ENB or Shade. Looked at these a long time ago and decided not to use as I felt I could accomplish much the same just adjusting monitor settings of hue, vibrance and gamma.

Can you tell me what specific file/file type is responsible for the water color / texture in this specific scenery compared to default FTX NZSI which is OK? I also have NZMF which fits seamlessly in terms of color ?

Thanks for your help

Larry

OK Wolter, I found DX10 / Win8 breathed new life into FSX for me on my meagre machine ( Q9400 at 2.6 with Nvidia GTS 250) as long as I stick with default aircraft ( I particularly like the Maule which is actually very well done)  and have no more than 2 x AI aircraft  about.  It runs the FTX NZ scenery very well @ 25 FPS with very respectable settings.

I think I must have a "rogue" file in  FSX from fooling around with shaders or water config. files that I've forgotten about,  but now don't know where to look. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help

Larry

Larry - I have DX10+Fixer + NZQN. I can't read the slew info from your pic - so if you can decipher it and post it here, I'll slew to the exact same spot and post a comparison shot.

I don't have any "fancy" HDR or FS Water utils, but I do run REX Texture Direct. What's your REX water theme?

Another thing you can do is to check with Google Earth to see if that's a shallow area of water that really is different from the rest of the lake.

Adam.

Just to chime in here, Larry do you have your FSX water effects slider set to 1.X or 2.X or none? Switching between these three main options will have very different visual results (particularly in blending between photoreal and waterclass texture tiles); if you haven't already I'd recommend switching the water settings to 2.X and see how this looks.

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hello Adam,

I checked Google Earth and the bay in front of the runway approach does have a shallow / lighter area near the shoreline. But the rest of the bay is deep, dark blue . So what Wolter showed me is much closer to reality.

Co-ordinates are S45 1.04  E168 45.06   basically rnwy alignment  hdg 230 out over the bay.

REX textures are Deep Blue Eyes, Ocean Blue and Color Me Beautiful   but changing these has no effect on the area that i can see.

I'm thinking there may be a  changed texture file accounting for this from a previous installation of RealNZ.  I wish someone could tell me what 

file is reponsible.

In any case I'll live with it.  I bought the $5 FSX -SE version and have it dual-installed to look at  and will re-install NZ in it when Orbx is ready.

Thoroughly enjoying the sim with the NZ scenery and I now have a real-life visit on my bucket list.

Hello Jarrad,

I tried the water effects slider and it did not affect the coloration of the bay area.

Thanks to both of you for your interest in trying to help me.

Regards / Larry   (KFLO)

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the co-ordinates. Here are mine:

nzqn_dx10_01_1280.jpg

In more close-up:
nzqn_dx10_02_1280.jpg

The transition from photoreal:
nzqn_dx10_03_1280.jpg

As a matter of interest - the same view in my [new] P3D that doesn't have NZQN installed. It looks pretty similar to your "default" pic.
nzqn_p3d_1280.jpg

I'll go with what Alex says - though I don'tt think either of us are seeing any interference from REX or whatever, as our shots look pretty similar. I haven't checked with Google Earth, but I really like that photoreal texture anyway (even if it may be slightly less than realistic) - and it does blend nicely/gradually with the rest of the [default] lake texture.

@Wolter - your shot isn't showing the photoreal tile for some reason <?>. I wonder whether DX9 isn't allowing it to show through the wave animation layer. What's your water detail quality level? Maybe DX9 just does it differently <?>.

Adam.

More interesting stuff:

I "kludged" my FSX copy of FTX NZQN just to see what would happen. All the elevations etc. were wrong, but I wasn't bothered about that - I just wanted to see this photoreal tile.

P3D without terrain reflections:
nzqn_p3d_02_1280.jpg

With terrain enabled - it also appears to slightly change the palette of the water above the photoreal. Overall, the texture seems to blend in better with P3D (go figure!).
nzqn_p3d_03_1280.jpg

Adam.

Hi Adam,

I use 2x Low, don't see much use of the higher water settings except they eat FPS ;)

Too right, Wolter - I'm 100% with you on that! However - it does explain why you're not seeing the photoreal texture. I think that only kicks in at the higher levels.

Horses for courses ... each to his own ... (I never know how well these sayings translate!). Personally, I'm a real sucker for the eye-candy! 2fps would suit me fine it it looks great :lol:.

Adam.

Hello again Adam,

Looks to me like P3D is the winner on this one with very good blending and a better match with Google Earth.

I wish the designer of NZQN could make a mod to make it look like that under FSX DX10  : )

Will be curious to see if SE changes anything.

Thanks for looking at it for me.

Now I'm back looking for a river valley to take me from Queenstown to Milford Sound.  I thought I could connect to and follow Hwy 94 but there's a damn tunnel through a huge ridge blocking the route just short of the Sound.

Larry

Archived