Light configurator not working so well for me

dominique

As much as I like OrbX lights, I find them too yellow and white. In France and many other countries I know, the dominant color of street lighting is an ugly orange (sodium vapour lighting). So I welcomed the idea of having a light configurator to change them  but it does not work so well for my pupose  :) !

I set all the blue, white and yellow street lights at a low brightness and the orange ones at high brightness but I still get mostly yellow and white lights. How could I get that dominant orange hue ? Something I miss ?

Hi Dominique,

the distribution of the various base colors is fixed in the landclass textures and road vectors themselves (and most of the roadside lights should be orange already). Thus, any global color changes beyond the fine-tuning available in the Global Lights Configurator panel would have to be done manually in the effect textures themselves, which are located in \ORBX\Scripts\data\Textures. Better make backups first though before you start tweaking those.

Cheers, Holger

Thank you Holger for shedding some light here (pardon me the pun, couldn't help it :) ) !

If most of the street lights are already "orange" and no tweaking of the light configurator helps, I'm not going to mess up your textures. We say in French "le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" (better is the enemy of good). Live and learn...

As the type of color is ingrained in the LC or Vector and the hue in the textures, It would ne nice if OrbX had a look into this in a future iteration of Base, Vector or OpenLC.  

@Stew : good remark but I've yet to fly at night anywhere in OrbX lands and see that orange glow so prevalent these days.

Archived