An OrbX DIY ?

dominique

Stating the obvious : there are thousands upon thousands of airports that will never be upgraded by OrbX in our sim worlds, even with the busy bee work of Neil and the freeware team. It does not mean that they are never visited by simmers. They are. OrbX refusal to allow access to its library of objects  is totally understandable and I was appaled by the thief mentality of a recent freeware poster on the topic.

But, still, I'd love to land in Nijni Novgorod, Hertzlyia, Fayence, Agrinion or Sultan Babullah with something nicer than the present bare minimum. Couldn't be somewhat profitable to OrbX too ?

In a time long gone, in his pre-UT days, Allen Kriesman made an awfully slick piece of software for Fly! called Terramodels. It was a building and tree generator working in-game that a moderatly smart user could handle without spending days poring over the intricacies of a SDK or looking for solutions at FSDevelopper.  You had just to spend few hours mouse clicking your airport up. Kinda Lego stuff :) !  AK did not to port TM over to FS9 and FSX. I wonder whether a OrbX product of that kind would be possible today  ?

It should be tied up somewhat with the Global set to push its sales and couldn't be used without it. To make it simple, maybe not an object generator but a "placer" which would put the objects where the user wants them and, to avoid mesh issues, only on the existing flat polygons of FSX or P3D airports. It could come with a very limited number of basic hangars, towers, buildings, trees, objects but OrbX could also sell enhanced libraries. 

Would it be a competition to OrbX developpers ?  Maybe a little but not much as creating the marvellous tailor-made works of art you make, guys, would still beyond our reach and they still would be very much desirable.

I certainly underestimate the tecnhical difficulties and in any case I am really not willing to teach OrbX its ways, this is just the  though of a long time (and old) simmer who enjoys the Global set but find sometimes depressing landing on empty tarmacs.

Why should ORBX sell their libraries, when everything in them is custom made?  And as far as ORBX refusing access, unless they've changed their stance on this as well, they have no objection to a customer who owns something like IS3 using the libraries to enhance what is on their hard drive, you just can't share it with the community.  You might even be able to email them about including your enhancement in a future Global airport pack and find yourself with developer status.

Actually, if you feel up to it - you don't need to use ORBX libraries to upgrade the default airports. Most likely you should be able to do it with ADE and Instant Scenery (about $30 - I think) only. Just use the MS FSX default libraries - there is plenty of objects there. There is also an Instant Object Maker from the same IS3 publisher. And all other bits and pieces (if needed) are free. Just some elbow grease is all... :) 

Instant Scenery from Flight 1 allows you to enhance any airport you wish in FSX.

And there are a plethora of scenery objects available at Flightsim.com and AVSIM...all free for the downloading.

Any favorite airport or airstrip can be made to look like you want it to look in just a few minutes with these tools and objects.

Noel

Orbxlibs are our crown jewels what gives Orbx airports their atmosphere. They took a huge investment over seven years to make, so we're not going to give community access to them since it would dilute the value of our payware offerings. I can understand the argument that it could add value to FTX Global but in all honesty we are producing so much freeware at present I've actually asked Neil and the freeware team he leads to slow things down a little bit.

We created a community scenery subforum for the very purpose of allowing customers to create content for our FTX regions etc, but there's not a huge amount of activity there in all honesty. Sometimes well intended plans sound great in theory but I can say that making good quality realistic scenery and airports is very hard, labour intensive work that simply takes time.

Thank you John, again I understand your point ! I beg only to differ when you want to slown down Neil and team  :lol:  ! I'm touring the Med with OpenLC and I miss airports here and there.

So I want to recreate the wheel, don't I, guys :) ? Ive been so engrossed flying the OrbX fat regions these recent years that I didn't look around and know about Instant Scenery !  The Base+Vector makes things different now. Considering Flight1's peculiar policy toward P3D does IS work with this sim though ?

Elbow grease, Vlad ? Nope, a few  clicks please :) ! And, Bruce, regarding calls to OrbX libraries, I read the legal notice as an absolute no-no even for private projects. 

Yes Party Chairman, in minutes, depending on what you want.

I needed a shack and a float plane dock at Chandalar Lake in Alaska. Using Instant Scenery and three items (2 dock sections and a log cabin)from the hundreds of available objects I had it done in less than 5 minutes.

Of course if you want a large detailed airport it would take longer. But it's very easy to use.

Noel

In minutes? hmmm.....

Actually, this new release did catch my eye - no idea how good these guys are, or what this product might look like, but it is an intriguing concept.

http://secure.simmarket.com/zinertek-hd-airport-graphics-fsx-p3d.phtml

http://www.zinertek.com/flightsimulator/hdairportgraphics.html

It looks really pretty good indeed  but HD would mean 4096 textures, I fear some impact on the framerate !

Archived