Disabling Regions / Airports in the FSX Scenery Library?

CDreier

I have several questions concerning disabling features in the FSX Scenery Library. 

My 1st question is whether NA Regions and a single airport carry a significant overhead in resources when not being used?

Since most of my flying is on the east coast, is there any problem with disabling the three Regions and KJAC airport in the scenery library when not in that area?  Of course, I would then also disable the Hybrid mode in the FTX Control Panel.

Is this what you'd might suggest, or anything else that might be helpful?

Thank you.

BTW, my products are listed in my signature.

Hello! 

My impression is:  If you don't fly in the regions or are not involved with that single airport (landing, take off, etc.), then they offer no impact on system resources.  I *think* you'll find that disabling them won't affect your system resources, only the load up time for FSX or P3D.  Also, I think the prevailing wisdom is to uncheck Hybrid mode if you're still planning to fly in North America, at least that's my setting--I do all my flying in NA and sometimes outside the full fat regions CRM and PNW.

I think I misspoke above, and believe me, I'm no expert!  When I fly in North America, I set FTX Central to North America and leave it there.  Since I'm not flying outside North America, I don't set it to Global.  If I fly from NA to South America, for example, then I should set it to Global/Hybrid.  At least that's my understanding from the Global manual.  If I'm missing something there, I'd appreciate a correction. 

I'm going back and rereading the manual tonight. I'm going to just look and the black and white and not try to interpret anything. I'll report back if there's clarification on exactly how a situation such as mine should be handled.

In a nutshell, for you both, if you plan to fly in and out of an FTX region

then the correct setting is indeed Global+Hybrid as Stewart has said.

If you plan to fly wholly within a region, then the correct setting is

for that region, ie North America.

If you plan to fly wholly outside any regions the correct setting is Global.

These are the recommendations for the best possible experience.

Setting FTX Central to Global+Hybrid is the best catch all setting but

some aspects, such as autogen buildings and trees will not look quite

right in some areas.

That is not to say that they will not display properly, rather that they may

not match the region they are in.

Archived