Global set : scenery library order

dominique

I've now the whole Global set (Base, Vector, OpenLC)  plus a mesh and I want to be sure that they are correctly installed . From the bottom (highest numbers) up in the scenery library

- Vector _AEC

- XXXX base

- Vector (4 line items)

- the PILOT's Ultimate mesh

- Misc. (enhanced default sceneries)

- OpenLC

-  Misc. (fat regions, airport,  etc.)

What confuses me is that seems not reflect the layers graphics of your guide.

Is it ok ? thanks !

dominique,

first question, did you let the installers place the files where they are meant to go?  Or did you manipulate them after installing?  If you changed the order from the default installed order then they should be reset to the default location because VECTOR in particular does not belong at the top of the scenery library in FSX.  In fact the Vector_AEC file should be only three from the very bottom of the library order.  VECTOR files in the scenery library are location specific, at least for FSX I can't speak for P3D.

Maurizio,  What happens if those Vector entries are out of order, for example, placed above the Global mesh?

Stew

It will screw up things in your sim.  The manual explicitly states that the files should NOT be moved from the default locations.  Do so at your own peril.

I notice that sometimes the FTX England and Scotland regions move closer to the top every now and then. This results in them moving closer to the top above payware addon airports (EGPF and EGLL by UK2000) which I had originally installed after these regions. I manually move the priority down (I think it is four files for each region), but sometimes they have moved back up to the top.

I think this occurs when I am switching between Global and Europe in FTX Central.

My question is this: is it okay to leave these regions where they are in the scenery library (of FSX), even if it means they are in a higher position than the aforementioned payware airports?

Many thanks,

Neil

It will screw up things in your sim.  The manual explicitly states that the files should NOT be moved from the default locations.  Do so at your own peril.

Hi, spud.  I did move them once, without realizing the manual said not to do so.  I didn't notice anything weird.  But since I have reinstalled FSX on its own SSDrive and re-installed all my ORBX stuff in the process, I've left the Vector entries where they were originally place by the installer.  I think the reason I didn't notice anything weird is because I spend most of my flying time inside the so-called full fat regions.  I could be wrong, though.

Vector and the mesh are a delicate equilibrium, so better not to explore library priorities different to what the installers perform. I am not able to tell what it happens moving wrongly the priority, it would depend on the area, and from which vector files are interested in that area.

The mesh, anyway, is altered by vector, and i can tell it for sure. Maybe at a first look, you can think that changing the order is the same, because you don't notice nothing wrong, but it's not so ;) If for instance our developers forget to activate something or we have for error the libraries in a certain mode, also to test new stuffs, sometimes it happens, we have undesired results, and neither we understand why sometimes, until we realize that it depends from a wrong library order..... so, my advice is do not touch anything, let the installers to perform its operations.

Vector and the mesh are a delicate equilibrium, so better not to explore library priorities different to what the installers perform. I am not able to tell what it happens moving wrongly the priority, it would depend on the area, and from which vector files are interested in that area.

The mesh, anyway, is altered by vector, and i can tell it for sure. Maybe at a first look, you can think that changing the order is the same, because you don't notice nothing wrong, but it's not so ;) If for instance our developers forget to activate something or we have for error the libraries in a certain mode, also to test new stuffs, sometimes it happens, we have undesired results, and neither we understand why sometimes, until we realize that it depends from a wrong library order..... so, my advice is do not touch anything, let the installers to perform its operations.

Fair enough, Maurizio.  I'll take your advice and leave them alone.

Archived