Throttle Recommendations

chumley

Currently I use the CH Products Yoke with built in Throttle for my power control needs.

Of late I have decided it is time to commit more to FS and the first thing I want to do is replace the throttle controls with a unit that is specific to that purpose. 

I have looked at various cockpit setups posted here and have seen many variations of throttle controls.

I new seek the collective advice of people here to identify a unit and supplier that will take me forward as I start to assemble more hardware.

Once the throttle issues is sorted I will be checking the market for a better quality yoke and pedals. The USB CH Products has served me well but now it is time to look beyond.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi,

I have Saitek TPM as throttle for small aircraft such as cessna. It looks realistic and works fine for VFR. It also has lots of switchs to assign additionnal functions

I have been looking at the FDS Quadrant - so that should give an indication of where the upper limit of the price range might be. Obviously I fly the 737 and less obviously the 777. But I also fly the A320 and Dash 8-400. I assume being the FDS Quandrant is USB it can be used for any aircraft but that is an assumption based on nothing more. What I'm after is a reliable and accurate in terms of sensititivity piece of hardware.

I have also considered this one - GoFlight - GF-TQ6 - ADV Advanced Throttle Quadrant 

Hi Andy,

I currently have 2 sets:

http://www.flightsimpm.com/products#!/737-Throttle-Quadrant-PRO-v2-0/p/33600129/category=11158156

http://www.goflightinc.com/products/gf-tq6-throttle-quadrant

I use the 737 for tubeliners (737 and 757 mainly - probably the 777 when it is on P3D) and it is good - it's made mainly of wood which initially was a bit odd but works well. Needs anchoring down as it is quite light so having a good base to secure it to is a must. 

The GoFlight stuff I have really mixed feelings about. I bought it as I liked the idea of swapping out handles depending on what I flew (single engine, twin engine, tubeliner, GA etc) - that still is a plus point. However, I did invest in the extra 737 handles which was a massive mistake. They needed to be hardwired in making swapping out impossible so I took the plunge figuring I fly mainly the tubeliners and would use them for that - however, the weight of the handles made them drop constantly to idle. No amount of tweaking by me and even sending them back for tweaking to GoFlight fixed them (annoyingly they glued a load of the bases and connections during their attempts). I ended up ripping the 737 handles out and going back to the stock handles but even then I find the build quality (for the price) really questionable. Some of the sleeves the handles sit in come loose and it's a real pain to have to keep opening up the system to tighten things up (a fiddly exercise in itself). I wasn't blown away by the customer service either - certainly expected more for the price. They are like premium Saitek handles but without the longevity of my trusty old Saitek quadrant (still fine after 7 years) - not worth the price/upgrade.

I wish I had gone for the PFC stuff as reviews all seem positive - I do still use the GoFlight stuff for basic GA and a couple of twin engine bits like the Airbuses but I could get the same effect using 2 Saitek quadrants together for way less. 

Just my experiences with GoFlight in particular after having them for around a year now.

James

Archived