Palm Springs (KPSP) - Z-Fighting / Flickering

markodim

Hello all,

My order number for Palm Springs is FSS0324403.

I am just wondering if any others are having issues with z-fighting / flickering textures on the terminal buildings?  On my rig, this is a pronounced problem.  The areas of concern include gate numbers, nearby protruding building detail (not sure what to call this...concrete rectangles?), as well as the area where the jetway connects to the physical terminal building.

Please let me know if anything can be done or if others are experiencing the same issues.  I have indeed tried different Nivida drivers and multiple setting combinations.  No tweaks to my CFG file.

Thank you kindly in advance,

Mark

No flickering here except for the really small 1 pixel elements at distance.  I have DX10 with Steve's fixer, and I ensure that I have run the fixer after each scenery install.

NVidia settings are as per the NVidia control panel and are basically the highest possible settings, 8, 16 or 32x whatever is available.  It's also necessary to enable AA etc in the FSX settings.

You should also make sure that you have the HIGMEMFIX tweak in your cfg file, it can't hurt and has no negatives as far as I know.

G'day Mark,

Are you using DX10 or regular DX9 FSX? We had some minor flashing in testing, but I was able to fix all these issues for release. Also, are you experiencing this issue with a regular view (say zoom= 0.3-0.5) or zooming in from a distance? (zoom >0.6-0.8)

Cheers,

jarrad

Hi Jarrad, thank you kindly for the reply.

The issue persists across all platforms - I have tried in FSX DX9 and DX10, P3D1.4, and P3D2.X.  As far as zoom goes, the flashing is always present regardless of setting, of course less noticeable at distance.  Interestingly the flashing stops when extremely close, as in almost right up to the terminal.  Perhaps more interesting is that the flashing only occurs when on the ground, if I fly by with the trike or any other aircraft even at a low altitude, the flickering is gone...

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Can you tell us more about your graphic card and its settings (outside FSX/P3D) ?

KPSP stress a bit the rig because of the large number of details. The graphic card can then overheat and the first symptoms are texture flickering.

It may be interesting to investigate in that direction.

Ummm, well, that order number is absolutely correct and corresponds to the same account used for previous support queries for other sceneries (BZN, RDD).  I may have had another username once upon a time, "markabcan", that's all I can think off that may be causing this issue.

Wolter,

I don't recall the reason for multiple accounts but perhaps delete the other one as it is not used.  This is frustrating as I am a legitimate customer with a legitimate support request.  Moreover, I noted another user is experiencing the same problem and commented in my thread - for some reason his post was deleted.

The issue persists across all platforms - I have tried in FSX DX9 and DX10, P3D1.4, and P3D2.X.  As far as zoom goes, the flashing is always present regardless of setting, of course less noticeable at distance.  Interestingly the flashing stops when extremely close, as in almost right up to the terminal.  Perhaps more interesting is that the flashing only occurs when on the ground, if I fly by with the trike or any other aircraft even at a low altitude, the flickering is gone...

G'day Mark,

This sounds like it is being caused by one of two things;

1. Try running the scenery with a clean FSX.cfg if you haven't already. Various tweaks and mods can have unintended visual consequences, so this is always worth testing. 

2. If not, then as has been suggested by others, it will be an issue with your graphics card settings, though as Richard points out this may be an indication of overstressing your system. If that's the case, turn down some of your heavy-hitting FSX settings (AI, autogen, vehicles, weather density, ground resolution are good places to start) and disable all the options in the KPSP, and then gradually add more components/turn up your settings until you find the sweet spot. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Archived