Third time lucky or......

VH-KDK

.......when things keep going belly up reach for the SAAB!

1.eVNaz.jpg

Take off from Don Mueang, Bangkok. Replay to take some take off caps but the port engine is now on fire! Return to fly and the engine is still on fire and the 777 goes into a very steep climb! Give up try some thing else.

2. K5Xsm.jpg

OK we will try the Hawker Beech 800 thingy out of Don Mueang again. Reach the desired FL, press the Alt Hold button but it porpoises like a .......well porpoise. Give up try a SAAB.

3.XIoBu.jpg

My intended destination was Lijiang Sanyi which is near China, so a look for the nearest airport which happens to be Myitkyina in Myanmar. Yay success. We are off, George is co-operating and everything is rosy. There we go over the Ayeyarwaddy River.

4. 0089L.jpg

Now over the Shweli River with the town of Main Man on the bend.

5.Bq2WM.jpg

Very happy now passing over some breathtaking mountain scenery. Hard to believe that this is FTXG. Can hardly wait for Open LC.

6.kwO.jpg

Spot the windy road. This is in the Dapingchang area.

7.M8Pl4.jpg

Need to descend which we can do now that we have safely passed the ridge. This is in the Heqing area.

8.NGyK.jpg

Now turning to fly down the valley to the airport. Nothing can stop us now.......

9.MxPXk.jpg

.....apart from a fog bank sitting directly over the airport.

10.b1xYE.jpg

I must go back and find out what I am doing wrong with ILS approaches as I have messed it up again. Oh well time to look at the GPS and read the instruments. I know that the airport elevation is 7360 ft so we have 1200 ft to play with.

11.JNRLj.jpg

It is down there somewhere.

12.tW52.jpg

Just at the right moment there is a break in the fog and the runway appears.

I enjoyed that although I don't think it would be a great idea in RL and I am glad the 39 passengers thought I knew what I was doing. Anyway down safely and so excited I forgot to replay and take some touch down shots.

Now where is that ILS tutorial on YouTube?

Very good indeed! You seem to know a lot that area. It was a good journey!

Try to visit Thailand once a year but Myanmar and China I have to rely on Google Earth.

Great shots Martyn.It seems you can always rely on the trusty SAAB :)

Just love the SAAB and now have it's larger friend the 717!

Nice landing Martyn . I enjoyed the trip .

Cheers

Brad

Quite exciting landing Brad and when all seemed lost the threshold appeared as if by Magic.

Thanks for your comments Gents. Greatly appreciated.

Very nice and well narrated. Shame about the ILS approach, but I am sure you will master it. There is nothing like that satisfaction when you know it all works as it should :)

Thanks for commenting. Did some homework on YouTube this morning and it has done the trick. It's a buggar getting old and losing the memory!

Superb set, love the 340 and the area.

Thanks for the post. The 340 is tops and shall be flying more around this area in the future.

Archived