Running-in the new toy (18 shots)

Got a nice package in the letter box this morning, but between dropping kids off at daycare, and taking younger kids and mothers to hospital for checkups, it took me a while to get it set up and flown.  Once I was organised, I set myself a little trip to test it out taking off from my home airfield of Wangaratta, dropping into Porepunkah, then up to Albury and back to Wang...

Taking off from YWNG.  I took this shot in this position, because if my house was portrayed in FTX, you would be looking straight at it here.. A bit to the left of the footy oval (??) probably across the road from what looks like a tennis court (???)

Posted Image

Leaving Wang en-route to YPOK..

Posted Image

Heading around to the east side of Mt Buffalo where we'll find Porepunkah..

Posted Image

Downwind for YPOK.  Heading up the valley a bit to set up my approach..

Posted Image

Turning onto base.  I decided to fly over the ridge ahead and run my approach up the next valley.  Worked out well..

Posted Image

Posted Image

On finals, check gear, flaps, airspeed, trim... I LOVE this plane!  I can finally fly an FS aircraft like a real plane without it being a Cessna!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Parked for a quick coffee before we head over to YMAV..

Posted Image

After that last shot, I had to go change a nappy or something, and when I came back all the electricals had gone kaput cos I left it with the engine off but everything else on.  I couldn't find a set of jumper leads in the cargo hold of the cub, so I just reloaded the aircraft to fix it.  A bit like putting a new battery in I guess..

After departing Porepunkah, I decided to fly the leg to Albury on autopilot.  It took me that long to figure out how to work the damn thing that this was the first shot I managed to get.  I think I prefer flying this one hands on..

Posted Image

Looking back at where we've come from.. Mt Buffalo is on the far left of shot.

Posted Image

Looking left at where we began..  That dark green strip on the far horizon is the Warby Ranges.  Thats where Wangaratta is.

Posted Image

After swinging a little right hander to get lined up for the runway at Albury, here we are over Lake Hume.  I don't think there is this much water in it in RL though.

Posted Image

On approach to Albury.  Didn't bother stopping here, just left a bit of rubber on the runway and took off again.

Posted Image

And... Departing.

Posted Image

En-route back to Wang, with the Warby's dead ahead.

Posted Image

And after a quick circuit, I figured a buzz of the strip go-around was needed..

Posted Image

Thanks for looking, I had fun making!  ;D  First impressions, Great investment!  A highly detailed model that really makes you feel like your in it, and no sign of stutters!  Which is no mean feat on my system..

Well done Divad.  Glad you like it.  It is a lovely 'plane to fly.  Try to get the Carenado Mooney.  That's pretty good too, specially when flying into the sun when its low in the sky!  I see you like to fly with the zoom right out.  Trouble is, when I do that I can't see the instruments too well and on auto pilot its difficult to see the pictures.  I know everything can be individually brought up using the keyboard but I really don't like doing that.

Nice set of pictures, and thanks for telling the story.  Adds interest.

John

To get around the zoom issue, I usually leave Shift+O mouse look on, and I can zoom with the scroll wheel.  I also find studying the gauges and memorising the numbers on them helps.  I had to do this for the ASI on this one.. It took me a while to realise the the numbers were on the odd tens rather than the even ones.  If I'm zooming in to click stuff, I turn Shift+O off, and hold the space bar down instead.  It does the same thing, but turns off as soon as you release the spacebar.

Plus I have a nice big 22" widescreen monitor which always helps..

Dont forget I have 2 Aussie paints for this Dave, I also love this plane, next time you go to porpunkah dont forget the mt Beauty strip that is a hop skip and a jump away and some really nice scenery!

Yeah, I've hopped over the hill to Mt Beauty once.. The main reason I hang around YPOK so much is because it is the closest OZx strip to home.  I'm going over to have a look at your paints now.  I downloaded VH-SIA that a fella on VOZ made a while back, but it doesn't work on this version of the aircraft.

Ahhh yes the Real Air SF260...  How I would like to see an Accu-Sim version of that beautiful bird.

Beautiful screenies David, cheers and thanks for posting those.  Enjoy the SF260.  I actually circumnavigated Oz in that pre-Orbx  :D

Ryan, I downloaded your VH-MWL paint (I ignored the other one because I don't like football.  More of a motorsports fan.  I don't even know what code that team is from!)  but it was no good.  It had no glass textures or cockpit textures for a start, but I know how to fix that.  I just don't recall reading it in the readme file.  I just need to copy and paste all the files from any of the other textures and NOT replace when asked.  But the big issue with it is that the textures appear to have their light reflective qualities reversed..  I'll load it up and take a screenshot..  But I'll put all those other textures in the folder first..

Never mind, fixed it!  I worked out how the textures work on this baby..  Because I'm a left hand seat pilot, the texture.cfg file was pointing to the wrong folder.  I put the right values in, saved it, and flew from Wang to Mt Beauty!

Posted Image

And a bonus shot I took last night when I was playing with its spin capabilities..

Posted Image

Sorry about the issues Dave, its because I made it as a right seat variant, VH-SIA is unfortunately for the FS9 version so doesnt work, I might have a go at fixing that to work in FSX for you.

Hi Divad

If you want to do aerobatics in the Marchetti, I seem to remember, I think its in the 'readme',  that there's a way to remove the extra fuel tanks on the ends of the wings which are really an option for long journeys.  Something you'll do a lot in Australia with your plans.

John

Yep, I've been playing around with different fuel loads and how it behaves in aerobatics loaded and unloaded..  Its really cool how much of a difference it makes!  I need to work out what its outright range is next..  I think I'll do that tonight.  Set it on autopilot on normal cruise settings straight out of an airport, turn off crashes, turn off the monitor and go to bed.  Check GPS in the morning for how far it got, take 3 or 4 miles off for "Glide" then take half an hour off for "range with reserve".  I've got a gut feeling that it'll be more hours than I would be willing to sit through for a flying session, but it will give me an idea of how little fuel I can put in for legs of the flight..  I've found that at 6500 to 7500 feet and 23/23 on the engine controls it gets a ground speed so close to 180kts it makes no difference.  This is good.  It makes it easy to calculate.  3 miles/minute.  Then corect for wind, and I'm on my way!

I just found a version of VH-SIA on flightsim.com that is updated BY realair for use on the FSX version.. I'm about to go test it..  I'll post a shot when I'm done.

Surely you don't need to go to all that trouble Divad.  Why don't you use the flight planner to calculate the fuel you need?  It gives you the distance and the fuel usage.  All you need to do then is add more for diversions, getting lost, flying to another airport, err, why not fill it up and switch to unlimited?! ;D

John

Hehe.. If I was going to switch to unlimited, I'd empty it so that it is lighter.  But thats cheating.  The trouble with using the flight planner is that the majority of the airports I'm flying to don't have AFCADs, and therefor cannot be "found" in FS.  They need to be located by external means such as good maps and good old fashioned VFR.

As for checking the range, I'm going to get off the computer and go to bed within the next 1/2 hour, so setting the plane up on autopilot will be the last thing I do.  Then tomorrow morning the result will be there waiting for me.  I just had a thought though, I'd best make sure I point the plane into the centre of aus, otherwise if it runs out of fuel over an ocean, it won't stop.  It'll just keep bouncing back into the air!

Archived