Unable to unwrap/install Canberra Airport

RobJ

Hi folks,

Unfortunately I am having an issue trying to unwrap YSCB airport. I keep getting the error message 'another program is currently using this file'.

I bought YSCB in the same purchase  as YMML and that went in fine. So far I've tried turning off UAC, running as administrator, running CCleaner, uninstalling, downloading the zip file again, rebooting, all to no avail. I'm reluctant to do a complete ORBX reinstall unless I have to obviously..

I'd appreciate any help. Up to now I've never had a problem.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

Can you check the following things for me:

• That you have extracted the .zip that you downloaded from The FlightSim Store (you can't run the installer without extracting the zip first).
  • Select all of the files in the installer folder, right click then go properties. Make sure that the "read-only" box is completely blank. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  • If you're using anti-virus software, disable it temporarily as it may be trying to scan the file when the wrapper is trying to use it (remember to turn it back on again when you've finished).

If it's still not working after that, we can use "Resource Monitor" to determine which process has control over the file:

• Click start, type in "Resource Monitor".
  • Go to the "CPU" tab.
  • Under "Associated Handles", do a search for "orbx".
  • You should now see a list of processes. In my example screenshot, "explorer.exe" is showing because I have the folder open in Windows Explorer. In your case, you will probably see another exe file that is taking over.

Ben

post-18382-0-33613000-1413168712_thumb.p

post-18382-0-45969300-1413168714_thumb.p

Hi Ben and John,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've done all the above including the resource manager, with the same result. Scanning and firewall off, read only unchecked,  CTRL ALT DEL etc..

The only other thing I can think of is, just maybe, I used the registration number for Melbourne Airport  instead of the one for Canberra Airport in the validation screen. I bought the software together, so it's possible...In any case  it no longer brings up the validation screen when I run the exec, so I can't comfirm or change it.

I'm stumped. Any other ideas?

Rob

Hi again Rob,

How much free space do you have on your computer? It's possible that it can't access the file because there isn't enough space?

If the validation screen isn't showing, it means that you have entered valid information in the past and it has remembered it (so no need to change it).

Ben

Hi Adrian,

Interesting.

I tried downloading some FTX freeware airports and found that the files were corrupted, so I immediately suspected Internet Download Manager.So  I uninstalled it, got rid of the problematic YSCB files and tried a freeware airport download again and it went straight in to FSX, no problem. Bingo! So then I downloaded YSCB again with high hopes, ran it , and .. the same error message!

I'll run another virus scan and CCleaner and see what happens

Rob

Hi Rob, you could consider these two freeware programs to fix your problem. One is lockhunter 3.1.1, it adds an option on your mouse right click menu (What is locking this file?), and it tells you what is blocking the file.

The other program is Unlocker 1.9.2 that allows you immediately to unlock a file no matter what is the process that's locking it. To be used carefully anyway :)

Hi Maurizio,

Thanks, I tried lockhunter but it didn't show up anything the first time, the second time it did show an .exe file which I terminated but it made no difference to the result.

As for unlocker 1.9.2. , well I don't want to risk it slipping in unwanted extra programs as it seems to be designed to.Thanks for the tip anyway.

So is a complete Orbx folder reinstall the best idea or do I just cut my losses?

Thanks everyone for the help in any case

Just to be sure..,. you've turned off or disabled all virus and firewall programs prior to running the exe file?

You've unzipped to a separate folder and run the exe form there?

You've set FTX Central to the correct region and exited?  You've exited from FSX and any add-ons such as Traffic, etc?

One thing you can do is look in the list of running processes and see if you can Google any that you don't recognise the function of... there might be a background process that isn't needed that is causing this conflict.  

THere has to be an explanation for this, as you're possibly the only person ever to have this problem.

Hi Maurizio,

Thanks, I tried lockhunter but it didn't show up anything the first time, the second time it did show an .exe file which I terminated but it made no difference to the result.

As for unlocker 1.9.2. , well I don't want to risk it slipping in unwanted extra programs as it seems to be designed to.Thanks for the tip anyway.

So is a complete Orbx folder reinstall the best idea or do I just cut my losses?

Thanks everyone for the help in any case

No problem Rob, i hoped this could help you to fix the issue. In effect it's very strange that your installer can't run, i am tempted to think that's related to the antivirus or possibly virus problem as Adrian said.

Hi John,

Well it is either some massive oversight on my part or some very weird little bug, but I've done everything I can think of including the Firewall/antivirus thing. For now I'm just going to overfly YSCB until I get a Eureka moment - or take up another pastime..

Thanks for the help. Great site BTW. Matches the quality of the software.

Rob

Hi Ben and John,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've done all the above including the resource manager, with the same result. Scanning and firewall off, read only unchecked,  CTRL ALT DEL etc..

The only other thing I can think of is, just maybe, I used the registration number for Melbourne Airport  instead of the one for Canberra Airport in the validation screen. I bought the software together, so it's possible...In any case  it no longer brings up the validation screen when I run the exec, so I can't comfirm or change it.

I'm stumped. Any other ideas?

Rob

The order number thing is the only thing that I can think of that might be affecting the install but I don't know how the security is configured.  Perhaps if you email Adrian at FSS he can run some tests or work out if the security entries are likely to generate the problem if a code is already in use when a second airport requests the same code.  I know that the FSS permissions are very robust, as I have completely uninstalled FSX and rebuilt it on another drive, and yet my FSS purchases are still recognised so they install without needing to enter the purchase info again.  So, perhaps once that erroneous code has been entered it doesn't get overwritten, so it is locked in place.  THat's my guess.

Hi Adrian,

Can't seem to paste a screenshot but it's pretty simple to describe

I run the exe file as normal , it verifies the installer, you get a 'welcome to the ORBX Canberra airport wrapper' box, you hit 'OK' and then it asks you to have your registration details ready.

You hit 'OK' but then it doesn't prompt you to enter them. (it did the first couple of times I tried to install).The wrapper starts to unwrap the installer, you get the horizontal green bar loading, it hangs for a few minutes at about 60% done, you then get a prompt telling you not to hit 'finish' until the product installer has installed, you click OK, (so far so normal).

The wrapper unwraps almost to the end and then you get a dialog box pop up with a red circle and a white X on it saying 'Another program is currently using this file'. At the top of this error message it has the temp folder path C\Users\ROBJUL~1\AppData\Local\Temp_ir_sf_tem..

What John said seems to make sense to me, that maybe I entered the same code for YSCB as YMML and that could be it. I don't know...

What about running the software again with a new code? (if that could be arranged)

cheers

Rob

Archived