Goodbye to Western Australia for a while

John York

I took a little flight to find the town of Esperence but all I found was the Wind Farm;

Posted Image

Then I had a look at the Dundas Nature Reserve.  Lovely place.  Full of ponds and lakes.  And people live there!

Posted Image

Its a hell of a way to Eucla so I changed to something a bit quicker and higher;

Posted Image

Problem was the aircraft became definitely rattly when I got above 15,000' so I finished the main part of the journey at a comfortable 10,000'.

Posted Image

My goodness.  That's a drastic difference!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is 'Forest' YECT known as Eucla by OZx I think.  Mind you.  I stand to be corrected.  It wouldn't be the first time I've come down in the wrong place and I was feeling a little jaded by this time!

Posted Image

After that flight it had got a bit stuffy so it was nice to open the canopy for some air.

See you in Southern Australia soon for the next leg of my trip.

John

Thank you ImageShack - peerless!

Hey John, great set of pics.

These guys are right. Forest is a strip quite some distance to the north of Eucla.

I was looking into it some time back because of a flight plan i found on the net of a Stearman flown from Caboolture (QLD) to Jandakot (WA). I started flying some of the legs and i have only got to Bourke so far. Some of it in a Stearman which is pretty slow.

Happy flying across the bight. For all non australians, that the Bite. The place where a great white shark took a chunk out of the great island continent of Australis.

Please make this next flight at around 2000 ft and capture some of the cliffs. maybe you will see a roo at low level. Be careful they dont hop in front of you. ha.

TreeTops.  :)

Ah, I thought I could be wrong about Forrest viz a viz Eucla.  Thanks for putting me right. 

One day I'll get around to trying to find those OZx airfields not on the FSX flight planner list but for the moment, I'm concentrating on getting round the Continent and at the same time getting in some hours in England and Wales as there are still many airfields there I haven't seen yet.  I must admit to like flying in England and Wales with the truly photographic scenery and the coasts never more than 100 miles or so apart, it does allow for short flights with lots of interest with towns and beautiful countryside all crammed in between.

When I take off from Forrest, I'll have a look for Eucla before proceeding on the next leg.  You never know, I may find it using the OZx guide.

Best wishes to you all.

John

When I take off from Forrest, I'll have a look for Eucla before proceeding on the next leg.  You never know, I may find it using the OZx guide.

Aim for the point where the WA/SA border meets the sea, Eucla is a NM or 2 to the west..  Hard to miss.  I'm waiting for my copy of the SF260 to arrive in the mail (hopefully today, maybe tomorrow) then I'm going to circumnavigate Aus in it, trying to land only at OZx/ORBx/Ants fields.  I haven't decided whether I'll go clockwise or anti-clockwise yet..

Thanks for the directions to Eucla Divad. 

You'll enjoy the circumnavigation as I have done.  There's not much left for me to do now.  Some of the distances are awsome even with the help of OZx and Ants airfields.  However, I've only used the Learjet once and the rest has been done with the Cessna 172N, the SIAI Marchetti SF200 and the Carenado Mooney.

There're little criticisms with all of them.  The Cessna is simply too slow for some of the distances, the Marchetti has a slightly crooked nose that eats up the front view even with the seat raised and the Mooney has to all intents and purposes a tinted windscreen!

Good luck and enjoy it.  I have.

John

... then I'm going to circumnavigate Aus in it, trying to land only at OZx/ORBx/Ants fields. 

Great idea.  I only wish we could add these fields to FSEconomy, as my simming time is limited, I tend to do all my flights running assignments for FSEconomy which only uses the default airfields.

Cheers and all the best with it, looking forward to some screenies.

Yes, I went the other way round Divad and I think it was perhaps a mistake going from Auckland and turning right.  Yours is the better idea.  We'll probably pass one another along the route!  You've got some distances to travel though mate using only Orbx, OZx and Ants airfields let alone the problem of trying to find some of them! ;D

Good flying

John

Yes, I went the other way round Divad and I think it was perhaps a mistake going from Auckland and turning right.  Yours is the better idea.  We'll probably pass one another along the route!  You've got some distances to travel though mate using only Orbx, OZx and Ants airfields let alone the problem of trying to find some of them! ;D

Good flying

John

Well, I got the aircraft today..  I'll start mapping the route soon.  As for finding the strips, I've found nearly all of them already.  Some by GPS, most by the directions given, a few by the old fashioned method using maps rulers pencils and stopwatch.  I haven't had too much trouble finding any of them..  As for the distances, I'm kinda hoping some of the big flights such as northern WA will be shortened with new additions to OZx before I get there.  But if I have to land at default fields because I don't have the fuel capacity, the so be it..  It should be fun!  I'm getting all of my dad's old nav bits and pieces (maps, flight computer, rulers, protractors, etc) and trying to find a very busy RW pilot whom I can buy a complete set of out of date WAC charts cheaply.  They are about $350 or so for the full set to buy new..  For now, I have a HUGE map of Aus in JPG format that I downloaded piece by piece and stitched together from the Aus Gov website.  If I were to print it full size I think it is 2 sheets of A0.  I have a printer at work that can print A0 width in colour... I might get in trouble though if I did that..  I'll figure something out maps-wise though..

Archived