Can't open FTX Central

Cal

When I select the FTX Central icon the opening widow appears but I get a missing file message. Its a different file each time so I can't get the right file moved. I've installed the 14901 library to reinstall FTX Central but no success. Where can I get a fresh, updated file?

thanks, Cal

FTX Central locked to taskbar

This is an odd little Windows7 bug with an easy fix!

1 - Open FTXcentral

2 - Hold Shift and right click the icon in the taskbar

3 - select 'Maximise', then close FTXcentral by clicking the 'X' in the top right

4 - It should open fine now

Thanks for that Wolter but its still not opening. I right clicked the Logo in the taskbar but the option to maximize did not appear. Minimize the window was ghosted out . One clue is when I tried to open the FTX Central config. the message said it was inaccesible. That sounds corrupted to me.

When I open FTX Central the message tells me several different things. If I hit Exit   " object reference not set to an instance of an object "

Part of path is missing from C:\Users\Cal Brockman\Documents\terrain.cfg

"                 "                   "   E:\Program files\  Scenery\World\texture\Tile Pattern12.bmp

E:\Program files\Scenery\World\texture\010b2lm0.bmp      

I've located thes files and moved them into place but no change. I've installed the newest library. Can't I reinstall a region to install a fresh FTX Central?    Thanks for the help.

Cal     

The comedy continues,

I decided to re-install No. Calif. to recapture FTX Central. I did that and installed the newest library but still got the same notice when I tried to open FTX Central. I was surprised. I searched for an archived FTX Central. exe, opened it and was eveen more surprised when it actually opened but then a large window opened on top of it with hundreds of missing file errors. Pretty funny huh?

I closed the missing file error and was looking at a complete FTX Central with four regions. I selected North America and applied, TA message came up that it had been applied BUT with errors and missing files. I tried Global and got the same message. 

I can't figure out why hundreds of scenery files are missing but I think I can make FTX Central open without them so I can at least have scenery even if files are missing. I haven't tried it yet.

Is this fixable or do I re-install all of my Orbx regions? I will try to send a shot of the missing file notice.

Thanks all.

Cal

Thanks for that Wolter but its still not opening. I right clicked the Logo in the taskbar but the option to maximize did not appear. Minimize the window was ghosted out . One clue is when I tried to open the FTX Central config. the message said it was inaccesible. That sounds corrupted to me.

When I open FTX Central the message tells me several different things. If I hit Exit   " object reference not set to an instance of an object "

Part of path is missing from C:\Users\Cal Brockman\Documents\terrain.cfg

"                 "                   "   E:\Program files\  Scenery\World\texture\Tile Pattern12.bmp

I've located thes files and moved them into place but no change. I've installed the newest library. Can't I reinstall a region to install a fresh FTX Central?    Thanks for the help.

Cal     

If you have typed the error messages correctly, they look a little odd,

there should be no 

C:\Users\Cal Brockman\Documents\terrain.cfg file

and FTX Central should not be looking there in any case.

These two

E:\Program files\  Scenery\World\texture\Tile Pattern12.bmp

suggest that your FSX root folder is E:\Program files, is this

actually the case?

Can you provide the path to your FSX installation and have you moved it since

it was originally installed?

I wonder if it is your registry entries that are incorrect, pointing FTX Central to

a location where there are no relevant files.

Hi Nick,

You're right, I think I'm stressed as I copy down those unwanted messages. It could not list the path as C:\Users\Cal Brockman  I must have it wrong. I will look again with a pair of glasses and in a calm manner. 

I tried to include a screen shot of the missing files message which opens on top of FTX Central. If I close that message I am now seeing a complete FTX Central with four regions. I select and apply then I get a message saying something like  " this region was successfully loaded but with errors"  and the region will work but I'm missing hundreds of scenery files in each region. 

I attempted to give you a screenshot but it didn't work. I'll re-read the instructions and try again.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your help.

Cal

If you have typed the error messages correctly, they look a little odd,

there should be no 

C:\Users\Cal Brockman\Documents\terrain.cfg file

and FTX Central should not be looking there in any case.

These two

E:\Program files\  Scenery\World\texture\Tile Pattern12.bmp

suggest that your FSX root folder is E:\Program files, is this

actually the case?

Can you provide the path to your FSX installation and have you moved it since

it was originally installed?

I wonder if it is your registry entries that are incorrect, pointing FTX Central to

a location where there are no relevant files.

1. suggest that your FSX root folder is E:\Program files, is this

actually the case?    Yes that is correct          

2.   Can you provide the path to your FSX installation and have you moved it since

it was originally installed?        That is what I've always used. I used Registry Repair and targeted the FSX.exe for repair.  I currently have my only FTX Central .exe file  in a new unnamed folder on my desktop and I am opening it each time from that location   Is that an error?   The error message does list different files which I know are in Orbx\scripts but I am copying them into the new unnamed desktop folder in an attempt to supply what FTX Central is asking for.  I think that may be a clue to what is happening.

Thank you

Cal

I think you have identified your own problem.

The file structure intended by FTX is crucial to the correct operation of both FTX Central and the scenery.

If you have FSX installed into E:\Program Files, then you must have a folder

E:\Program Files\ORBX and FTX Central.exe must be in

E:\Program Files\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral.

Naturally, all the other files must be in the right place too.

Can I ask you to put it back there and see what happens.

Also, can I ask you to try to install an FTX product, choose any

freeware airports pack.

Run the installer as far as "the product will be installed in the folder...."

and note what location the installer detects.

There is no need to actually install anything, you can cancel it at this stage.

This will check the registry entry that you have for FSX.

Many thanks

Hi Nick,

Yes, I'll do that and report back. I do not recall doing anything that may have caused this but I will do as you say and look forward to having things cleared up soon. I plan to do this tonight, Thursday as I have some time. Thank you.

Cal

Hi Nick,

Well I keep trying but no joy yet.  I do indeed have a folder

E:\Program Files\ORBX and FTX Central.exe is in  E:\Program Files\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral. However, it isn't opening beyond the blank blue FTX Central panel with no regions. The message says there is a missing part of the path but it is not even the right path.

That was a good idea to load an airport. It targeted  C:\Users\Cal Brockman\Documents which is wrong. It seems a lot of stuff has been sent to that folder but I sure don't see why.

thank you,  Cal

Hello Cal,

It seems that your registry entry is incorrect.

It must be corrected first.

Here is how.

1. Right click on your Taskbar and from the drop down box select Task Manager.

2. At the top left of the Task Manager window menu bar  you will see File.

Left click on this and select Run new task and in the box that appears, type regedit.

3. Click OK and the registry editor window will open, it works like Windows File Explorer.

As you would in Windows File Explorer, using the left hand window pane, navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

In the right hand window pane you should now see

Xw6i1.jpg

Your SetupPath will read C:\Users\Cal Brockman\Documents

You need to change this to E:\Program Files

Right click on SetupPath and you will see this

qplw1.jpg

Left click on Modify

and you will see this

t4ar.jpg

Make sure that C:\Users\Cal Brockman\Documents is highlighted as in the picture

and then type E:\Program Files into its place.

wDmC7.jpg

Click on OK and close the registry editor.

If you now run the airport installer again, you will see a target of E:\Program Files.

Once you have done this, re-install the latest library again and FTX Central will be

installed into the correct location and should work.

Hi Nick,

It worked. I am pleased to tell you I have a working FTX Central again after following your excellent instructions. I tried to repair the registry with the on-line tools that Holger gave links to and guessed my way through HKEY machine and HKEY user but with no success. Your instructions were what worked for me. Thank you. I hope anyone else who runs into trouble like this will be helped by what you showed me. I will look for ways to help others with what I've learned.

Thanks to all who replied to my requests for help. This forum is a great benefit and sure adds to the fun of flight simming.

good flights, Cal

Hey all,

Thanks to Nick for that last set of instructions, I have flown in three regions without problems. I am grateful to all and happily airborne again. Please mark this as resolved

Archived