Yoke

VH-WCE

G'day guys

Just wondering what your opinions are on the CH yoke (flight sim and eclipse)  and Saitek one.

I have been given the CH throttle quadrant and CH Pro Throttle and the GoFlight rudder controls from a friends who has upgraded his stuff.

So was wondering on a good yoke to get. Was thinking of the CH Flight sim yoke. looks like a good choice not being as expensive as the other two choices.

so was just wondering what your opinions are on the three products and what you would recommend ;)

thanks heaps!! ;D

cheers,

I've had the CH yoke for many years now(bought in 2002 or 2003), and I'm very happy with it. I had one problem where one of the springs inside came loose, but it was a simple fix. As Pete said, if you do some easy maintenance every now and then it will last for many years.

The Saitek one I have yet to try. Many friends of mine have it though and are happy with it. If it will live as long as the CH one is a question we will know the answer for in about 5-6 years.

I must add that I have the Saitek throttle quadrant(two of them in fact) and they are great. Got them 1,5 years ago and haven't had one single issue this far.

What did your friend upgrade to if he's getting rid of the old stuff.. ?

not sure actually.

the CH yoke seems like the choice ;)

thanks guys for the help 8)

hopefully i can get it on the weekend so it will arrive by the end of the week :)

cheers,

I have both a CH Flight Yoke and a Saitek yoke. I had the CH one for years before the Saitek one, but once I got the Saitek yoke I have have loved it over the CH one hands down. To me, it's simply built better, has a much better feel and construction.

• 2 weeks later...

The CH yoke fits the bill for many people but as I stated above its certainly NOT my favorite Yoke.

I saved for my Saitek and currently use my G25 Race wheel pedals as rudder but I of course don't have toe brakes, so after I have paid for a few other things I'll no doubt look seriously

That is my point, you have to modify it to get it to work the way you like - you should not have to do that, not too mention the warranty implications. I have read many post on the web about issues with getting the saitek to work.

Hey,

I have the saitek yoke/pedals/quadrant and i was wondering if there was a way to adjust the tension (like on the pedals) on the yoke or if there is a force-feedback one out there as my friend is looking into it.

Nick

There probably is but I'm not sure of any FFB around. I'm going to try to work out a way of utilizing an old race wheel and pilfer it's FFB Motor etc.

Yeah I have an old Microsoft racing wheel from about 6 years ago that is force feedback but it doesn't really work as a yoke

Any idea about the tension?

Nick

Well there are a couple of ways, the simplest is to open the case and use a toothed belt from an old printer and run that around the tensioning collar and terminate in 2 longer springs one on either side thus giving a smoother tension.

As for FFB well I'm working on that but I need to get another USB unit  (because it's easier) to cannabalise and mate the two,

this will also gain some additional switches as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there are a couple of ways, the simplest is to open the case and use a toothed belt from an old printer and run that around the tensioning collar and terminate in 2 longer springs one on either side thus giving a smoother tension.

As for FFB well I'm working on that but I need to get another USB unit  (because it's easier) to cannabalise and mate the two,

this will also gain some additional switches as well.

I was just wondering if you have gotten anywhere with this?

Nick

Interesting John I don't think I calibrate mine very often at all, I don't use the programing software from Saitek either but my Yoke Quadrant and Pedals are BLOODY BRILLIANT. 

Admittedly I scrimped and saved a while , but it was well worth it.

Its mainly the twist grip needs recalibrating.  As I said, when I put it away, admittedly while its still on usually because its in the way of the mouse otherwise, I have to twist it and insert it into a small space in the cabinet my computer and monitor is housed in.  I think as I put it away, the handle twists and when I turn it off it stays that way.  probably about 50% of the time.  The thing is I don't know until I start flying and that can be b....y disastrous, so now I recalibrate it as part of my setting up the flight procedure.

Its alright for you guys with plenty of space.  I'm in a small spare bedroom with which I share a double bed, a tiple wardrobe, a double wardrobe, 2 chairs, my printing cabinet plus this one and if she ever sees this I'll be put out into the hallway! ::);D

John

Bugger on the space John but where is the twist grip on your yoke???

Sure your not refering to the x52 Joystick set which suffered from unassigned keystrokes. Any yes they were in need of calibration when plugged in often.

Archived