Albany to Ravensthorpe

John York

This was a beautiful flight in lovely weather so I thought you might like to see these;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ravensthorpe at last.

Posted Image

I just wish that bloke would stay off the 'phone for five minutes!

The distances in Australia catch me out.  It didn't look so far on the road atlas but this was a much longer flight (my fault) than I anticipated and although that version of the Cessna is a delight to fly and easy to trim after something over an hour and a half I found it was quite tiring so I don't know how real pilots fare.  I think its the SIAI Marchetti SF200 and the autopilot for the next leg to Esperance!

Hope you liked them.

John

Thank you ImageShack

Cheers mate, great shots of a beautiful part of the world IRL.

Your comments reminded me of an occasion many years ago when in the engineering dept that I worked in a casual draftsman had been employed who had only just come out of Blighty for a working holiday.  After a few weeks he decided to, in his words "take a bit of a drive over to Sydney" to have a look.

Given that I had just done the 4000+ km trip in my car, I asked him what he was driving over in and what preparation he has made, to which he replied, "...well I got a page out of my mates daughters atlas, and I topped the water off in the mini".  The mini cost him $300.00 and was a wreck.  I asked him what he would do in an emergency if the thing broke down and he indicated that he would 'just pull off the "motorway" and call the road service'  :D

Distances here are pretty big and at times there is not much in between.  I drove approximately 60,000 kms per year over the last 26 or so years and that is not a lot compared to some of my work colleagues.  BTW the guy eventually got to Sydney  ;D

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but your series has brought back a few memories.

Cheers and thanks for posting those,

John,

A great set of pics there.  From what I recall flying Cessnas in real life (over 20 years ago now), they were much easier to trim than in the sim.  It was very easy to make minute adjustments with the trim wheel compared to the steps in trim in FSX.  Trimming the plane in the circuit was a lot more work than in cruise as you are making adjustments on all legs of the circuit as you change speed and altitude but it still wasn't a problem for an hour of circuits.

I thought you would be getting used to the distances by now after your flights in the GAAR. :)

Regards,

Peter

Well, to reply, not necessarily in order.

Yes it's REX with a little help from FSWC.  I'm trying to get the water to the colour I remember it was when I was in the Far East, oh, so many years ago now.  I haven't quite got there yet so still a little tinkering to do.  I think the colour is almost there but it does need to be a little lighter I think.

I can't really picture them yet so I'm having to measure the distances off the Atlas and Road map with a ruler until I get into Flight Planner and then it very often tells me something completely different.  Being old its easy to get confused! ::)  This was one of those occasions and if I had realised I would have used the SIAI Machetti SF200 which is a lot quicker.  Once I got up I couldn't be bothered to change the aircraft, and before you say, yes I know it can be done in flight, but it would also have lost the picture sequence I was after. 

Liked your story of the friend and his mini Chris.

Yes, this Cessna (I'm told) is as much like the real thing in flying characteristics as you can get.  Even so, after an hour I both tend to get bored and my wrists ache a bit because although the trim wheel is almost as good as an autopilot its not quite, especially with the occasional turbulence. With wind drift course corrections are frequent so all in all its only a minute or two you get with your hand off the joystick and for a quick slurp of tea.

Lastly, thank you all for your kind comments. :)

John

Archived