A few questions about lights

Rimshot

Hi guys,

Recently I did a fresh install of FSX. As far as Orbx products are concerned I currently only use all of the the US regions, except Alaska. In FTX Central I also have an option to select Vector Road Lights. I'm not sure whether I should select this option when flying in the regions, What does it change? And why is it there in the first place? I do not have FTX Global Vector installed and I don't see the selection box mentioned in the manuals of the regions I have installed...

Than there's the FTX switcher for day and night. Is this still current? In other words can I still use this without messing things up? Thanks in advahnce for the replies guys!

Hi there,

"Vector lights" are 3D lightpoints associated with urban vector roads meaning they are not just linked to the Vector product but are used in regions as well. Initially they had quite a bit of fps impact, which is why people asked us to make them optional. With the new lighting system there is no or very little fps impact so I'd assume most people have the checkbox active all the time.

The Day/Night switcher still has its use as most of the photoreal areas within our FTX regions as well as the add-on airports still use them and will continue to do so; for technical reasons but also because those "old" lights have lightpost models, which looks more realistic in areas of detail. As with the Vector lights checkbox though it's probably no longer necessary to switch them off because, compared to the tens of thousands of 3D lights within the surrounding autogen textures that now use the new system, those few hundred lights with lamppost won't do much damage fps wise.

If in doubt set up your own flight dawn/dusk situation, save it, and then make direct comparisons of visuals and fps changes using the different options.

Cheers, Holger

Archived