HDD/SSD advice please

petehowell57

Hi

I am running FSX DX10 at present but want to start experimenting with P3D v2.3. (but still have FSX running as well in the immediate future)

My present setup runs Windows 7 64 bit on a conventional 7200 rpm HDD, FSX on an SSD and I have two "spare" 10,000 rpm velociraptors .

Anyone have any advice or experience that could help me formulate the best combination from the following:

1)  Leave the status quo and run P3D on a velociraptor

2) Leave the OS alone, move FSX onto a velociraptor and put P3D onto the SSD

3) Put the OS onto the SSD and put FSX and P3D onto the velociraptors

I hope to be upgrading my GTX 480 to a GTX 770 (4 Gb) in the near future too.

Many thanks in anticipation

Pete

I would have FSX on its own SSD and P3D on its own SSD and win7 on what you like if you can another SSD would be best but velociraptors are good if you have 2 RAID them .  From the BIOS splash screen to desk top is around 10sec on a new SSD.  

I like option #3. From my experience the only thing to be gained by putting P3D on the SSD would be a decrease in initial load times. Other than that the performance is going to be the same and you'll still have the advantage of the OS running as fast as possible on the SSD. If you look at the cost/performance factors of an SSD vs. a Velociraptor I'll bet you'll take the WD HDD every time.

Doug

I use an SSD for my OS (fast startups, snappy tools.. photoshop etc) and Velociraptors for FSX and P3D, I also lump everything else.. pictures, music, downloads, fs addons, installers etc a couple of cheap 1Tb 7200 standard drives to avoid cluttering the SSD

Which do you want? snappy windows startup and general performance, or faster (initial) start ups of P3D/FSX - sure both is better on SSD, but the increase in overall amazingness is not a lot

Pete

I agree with the general consensus here. You are better off having Windows on a dedecated SSD, it really does speed everything up as it's the backbone on which everything else runs.

You will notice very little difference in running either filght sim from a SSD over a HDD other than initial load times.

Best option:

256Gb SSD for Windows

512Gb SSD for FSX and P3D

Next best option:

256Gb SSD for Windows

Any HDD for sims. Preferably hybrid.

The GTX770 is a really good gfx card, I have the 2Gb GTX760 but I wish I had got the 4Gb.

One other thing:

Move all of your 'My Documents', 'My Pictures', 'My Video' etc etc to a HDD. It saves a lot of write passes to the SSD.

Just enjoy.

Thanks guys

Good advice.

Can't justify moving everything to SSD's as I'm saving to get the 770, so it looks like option 3 is the way to go.  Now just got to get the nerve to do it as I don't really want to start from scratch if I can help it.

Pete

Archived