Advice and Help needed

Johncc

I am running FSX on window 8.1 on a brand new PC. I had massive problems to begin with but the shop that sold me the PC fixed those probs but I allways get this message when starting FSX  "SCENERY. CFG File error Invalid Remote Senery path in scenery Area. 107" I press continue and FSX runs ok. But in cetain places I get water where water should no be. I have EUROPE ENGLAND 1.0 & EUROPE WALES 1,0. Purchesed Global Base but that does not seem to make any difference. I then got Vector which had dissasterous results. In so much as the runway at Humberside vanished into a big grassy hill and the airport itself was engulfed in big grassy mounds. So I uninstalled it. I have no complaints about England and Wales because they are far better and more realistic than default. I have also downloaded the patches and fixes for England 1 & 2 seemed to have installed ok but 3 will not unzip. I am not sure that the patches are actually working. I am 60 and a complete computer idiot. I can not go above the lowest resolution because I am running a 3 screen monitor set up. My 24 year old son did all of that for me. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

John

Darent do it. As I said the PC had to go back to PC World because FSX would not run on it it took a young man over a day to get it to work. I have allways suspected there is a prob with try to run sothemthing that was designed for windows 7 on windows 8. Wished I knew how to buy Prepar 3D

just go to prepar3d website and buy the academic version.Download it and install into C:\p3d2 not in the same file as your operating system.

You just need a credit card and away you go.You can always get a pre-paid credit card if you currently don't have one top it up and pay.

Good to go.

Gary

The reason you are getting that error is one of two issues

1) You have a scenery installed but it is not activated in the scenery library.

Or

2) You have a scenery activated in the scenery library but the scenery is no longer installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I managed to find the offending line in the cfg scenery file. But then I developed more probs. So had PC fried back to factory settings but kept windows 8.1. Then I find out through tech support that because my discs were bought on Amozon, I have no support. Makes me wonder if discs are bogus. Getting new ones from official site plus having an expensive graphics card fitted. So will let you all know how things progress.

John

You must have been conned byt the PC-shop!!!! You can buy your HHD:s/Graphic card in ANY shop (also Amazon) and plug them into your PC and it should work without any problems. Ok if they will not give you support/help because you didn´t buy the hardware mentioned in their shop, I would ask them to go to a hotter place and go to another shop.

Make a reinstall of WIN 8 and it should fix the problems. When you start your PC the screen must work and also the system starts, I guess, so what´s the problem? That shows that both the Graphic card and the HD works. I´m not sure I understand what your problem is. Have you adeded a second HDD or?

Can you please specify your hardware EXACTLY. When we know what´s in your chassi we can probably help you, without you having to invest in new expensive hardware.

When you add a second HDD just "xcopy" (No this is NOT a typo) and paste to the new drive and then edit the registry to reflect where you moved FSX too. Your error is a dumbass security issue with Win 8 because it is so anal in it's operation, thinking every access request to "C\" is malicious unless it instigates itself.

And while your in the registry make "D:\" or "E:\" or what ever you called the second drive the default Program Files Location as well.  As I have said so many times on these pages "C:\" is for the OS ALONE and your Temp Dirs ect should all be well away from it.

For the cost of them now days put 2 or 3 additional drives in your system having one as a backup drive is cheap and wise.  External drives IMHO invite disaster to happen simply by virtue of the fact they are not mounted and can be bumped when active .

Anybody who thinks that FSX was designed just to work on Windows 7 and not Windows 8 has rocks in their head.

I had FSX running perfectly on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. I am now running Windows 8.1 and FSX is running better than ever although it has been relegated to a secondary sim since I have converted to P3D V2.3. And yes 99% of my FSX aircraft work well in P3D.

Archived