Ascoli Piceno Italy not well represented

dave302

Hi.  With openLC Europe Ascoli Piceno is represented by small town/village type texture, whereas in reality it is a city with a population of about 100,000.

Below are comparison screenshots of the city in FSX and the actual city in Google Earth.

Would it be possible to render the city using a better Italian-style urban texture and make the city larger?

Thanks a lot.

Ascoli Piceno in FSX

d1x38.jpg

Ascoli Piceno in Google Earth

ZkRJQ.jpg

Hi Dave, how many other italian cities or semi-unknown villages are you planning to report as bugs? :) For us the urban areas are in general well represented considering that's a landclass product. At this stage we are considering only "show stoppers" (read macroscopic bugs, very evident), with the future patches the product will be for sure improved also regarding the urban areas (not with the tecnique used in this version reasonably).

The situation you are reporting is not a bug, at least in my personal opinion.

Hi Dave, how many other italian cities or semi-unknown villages are you planning to report as bugs? :) For us the urban areas are in general well represented considering that's a landclass product. At this stage we are considering only "show stoppers" (read macroscopic bugs, very evident), with the future patches the product will be for sure improved also regarding the urban areas (not with the tecnique used in this version reasonably).

The situation you are reporting is not a bug, at least in my personal opinion.

Hi Maurizio,

This is a quote from the pinned post "New dedicated support forum for openLC":

"Just like we've done for FTX global Vector, please use this dedicated support forum for any openLC bugs, issues, enhancement requests, installation issues etc."

I am reporting "issues" and making an "enhancement request".  I did not call these issues "bugs".  By the way, I wasn't aware that you were only considering "show stoppers".  I couldn't find a post stating this particular fact.

Look, I understand if ORBX decides not to create a special urban texture for Puglia as that may be asking too much for the openLC line of products, but perhaps a different existing urban texture could be used that would better represent these areas?

As far as Ascoli Piceno is concerned, I think that area could definitely be improved. 

Thanks.

Dave

One more thing:

Maurizio,

In the Italian forum you didn't seem to have a problem with the fact that someone was reporting a very minor landclass error near Malpensa airport, and indeed stated that you think the landclass in that area can be corrected.

I don't understand, then, why you take issue with my report of Ascoli Piceno and the towns in the Puglia region?

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Maurizio,

I think Dave's point about a possible better Italian style city texture (for use in the whole Mediterranean area) should be worth consideration. The very dense, closed housing with the typical red roofs and only few trees is really not very well represented with the textures currently in use.

Regards

Hi guys, we'll gladly continue to receive any issues reported with openLC EU and of course, determine what can be corrected within the scope of the 1km landclass resolution and/or our texture palette available.

Whilst it would of course be very desirable to have even more unique textures to cater for every possible variation and situation geographically you must remember we have already shipped with a huge number of textures and our intent was never to replicate the diversity of our full-fat FTX regions but provide a best-fit landclass product. In doing so, and if you understand those limitations, then compromises must always be made.

As for Maurizio, being from Italy I expect his opinion is not purely defensive but he speaks as a local who likely appreciates the improvement to his homeland even with the limitations imposed on us.

One more thing:

Maurizio,

In the Italian forum you didn't seem to have a problem with the fact that someone was reporting a very minor landclass error near Malpensa airport, and indeed stated that you think the landclass in that area can be corrected.

I don't understand, then, why you take issue with my report of Ascoli Piceno and the towns in the Puglia region?

Thanks.

Dave

10 kmq of urban area where there should be vegetation landcalss with buildings on direct ils path of a two rw is not a minor bug i think without cutting autogen some people will crash on some building during approach and near a big airport having all this urban lc is a performance killer specially using payware airliners and a non default scenery, Maurizio very gently reported the problem as he would for any other. Orbx is very attentive to customer requests and I'm sure they will do their best to please everyone.

Regards

10 kmq of urban area where there should be vegetation landcalss with buildings on direct ils path of a two rw is not a minor bug i think without cutting autogen some people will crash on some building during approach and near a big airport having all this urban lc is a performance killer specially using payware airliners and a non default scenery, Maurizio very gently reported the problem as he would for any other. Orbx is very attentive to customer requests and I'm sure they will do their best to please everyone.

Regards

My intention was not to diminish your bug report.  Yes, the fact that this is near a major airport gives the issue more importance than it otherwise would have being that it is a very small area. 

I was comparing Maurizio's response to your reported issue and his response to mine.  He was somewhat critical of the issues that I reported, albeit in a friendly way, and I do not believe that his response was equitable as my reports deserve just as much consideration as yours do. 

John Venema has stated that the ORBX team will consider all these reports and will fix or improve what they can considering the scope of the product and other limitations, and I'm completely satisfied with that policy.

Dave

A me pare di aver detto le stesse cose di JV, in ogni modo sono contento che vi state appassionando al prodotto :)

Le valutazioni che puo' fare un beta tester o uno sviluppatore durante il periodo dei test o dopo che il prodotto e' gia' uscito, insieme ai vostri reports, permetteranno al reparto tecnico di sviluppo di prendere le opportune decisioni in merito a quanto riportato.

Dal mio punto di vista credo di essere stato equo nel giudicare i vari reports

I think i said the same things as JV, anyway i'm happy you're enjoying the product

The evalutions that can be done by a beta tester or a developer before and after a product is released, along your reports, will allow the technical dept to take the opportune decisions about the issues you reported.

By my point of view i think to have been equal in judging the various reports. :)

Archived