KTVL Very Poor framerates

corkery

Compared to the level of complexity against other Orbx offerings this kills the fps when taxying north or south and when flying just looking at the airfield drops > 10 fps! My rig is no sloth 990X 3.47Ghz but I just can't see what it is that would give such a hit.

Hi, mate,

For your reference on P3D v2.2,

Basic Rig: Mobo Asus Z87 Deluxe, 16 gig ram, Intel CPU i7--4770@3.40 ​​at 4:24 GPU Gtx 770  

Those are my averages: 

Flying over the runway, 50 feet: 24 fps 

Flying over the parking apron area, 100 feet: 29 fps 

Hover (10 feet) on the head of the runway 18/36: 23 fps 

Hover (10 feet) the parking apron area: 28 fps

Outside the perimeter: 46 fps

I'm still trying to improve the settings, I think I'll get a better average. In CYSE got 28 fps.

Cheers,

Hello,

Since all systems are different, it might be worth playing with the control panel settings a little. The airport uses a lot of bushes and vegetation, which might have a bit of an impact on certain systems, so I recommend turning those off first, and see if that improves it. If not, there must be something else wrong.

Cheers

OK I've done quite a few ccts with consistent results. ccts left hand Rwy 18 FPS locked at 35

Taxying north 17 - 19 (look left or right fps rises 2-3)

Line up with centreline FPs 14-15

At approx 500' passed threshold on upwind 35

Crosswind 35 looking forward

Downwind abeam control tower looking forward 33-35 look left at airfield drops to 15-16 everytime

Turn base looking forward 33-35 look at airfiled drops to 21-23

Turn onto final and fps drops progressively thru 20s until 500' from threshold when it drops to 12 and stays there throughout roll out until you pass the threshold again when it rises to 35

I am struggling to see why this would happen? As my sig shows I have experience of all Orbx scenery and this seems odd?

Scenery settings Orbx recommended and KTVL control panel left at default

Just for grins!  What is your density and water settings?

I say this because of the dense, life like scenery approaching both ends of the runway. 

I never look at frames since getting my config file tweaked on FB.  I have tried the FSX Fiber Accelerator with members of my VA.  With like systems but mine being an i53570K, I would MAX OUT  my processor at 85+% on like scenery at KSFF.  My details were full and fluid without any changes by the app.  When I tried for FPS results, I lost scenery details and got stutters.  It made me believe that FPS is not what it is made of.  More FPS might have your system (mobo, ram, and video) out of sync.

Just a thought.  I have been building PCs since the days of home computers in the late 70's.  There for a second I thought I had all the answers.  LOL

Hi Tony,

For today's standard of scenery, your rig on high settings would be pushing it. Could you try putting the vegetation down in the control panel, and maybe use a normal-dense setting for the FSX autogen setting?

Since the vegetation at the airport is so dense, if your system isn't exactly up to specs it will have a bit of a hit (hundreds of models).

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

I always run at normal autogen density. By looking at the coverage map and matching were I have fps problems it seems it's the 30cm area that is causing my system a problem. I will try reducing the vegetation and see if I can get the performance I need without actually turning everything off I've paid for!

Could we not have an option to install 60cm areas instead? If Orbx are going to optimise scenery for P3D2.2 I'm sure us FSXers will think twice.

Hey,

The resolution of the photoreal will make no difference to performance whatsoever,

From my testing the veg does cause the biggest hit, try just the level one grass first (that'll make the least difference visually but it removes quite a lot of models.

One other factor might be your GPU. Which one do you have? It might be struggling to load all the textures efficiently if it's not up to standards, especially if you're using p3d.

Cheers

Ok I'm running a Sandy@4.8ghz (I've run a 5ghz with no improvement) 8gb Ram, Win 7 x64, and a GTX670 4gb. My system is a FSX only system, and is highly tuned using combinations of tweaks I've found best work for me (Kosta and Nick N tweaks included)

KTVL is pretty smooth for me in simple aircraft like the A2A Cub and Realair Scout. When switching to the Realair Turbine Duke last night which runs 2 RXP530's in crossfill, I noticed similar performance decrease as the original poster. So my solution......Don't fly the Turbine Duke at KTVL :) Really this scenery imho is designed to fly low and slow over IN simple aircraft anyway to enjoy all the 3D objects. So to the OP I'm curious which aircraft you have tried flying around KTVL?

Chris Order # 307102

Hi Chris,

On the contrary, this scenery was designed with both types of flying in mind. There have been many reports with very smooth performance with just default settings, and there will always be a few that must cut settings back to achieve desirable performance.

Every system is set up differently and it's impossible to cater for all setups perfectly.

At this stage the only thing I can recommend is the above, fiddle with the Cp settings and fsx settings to find a balance right for you.

I also recommend defragmenting your hard drive (not SSD) using a program such as defraggler, this often increases performance across the whole board significantly.

Don't use ground scenery shadows in fsx either, as this impacts performance tremendously.

Cheers

Just as a pointer too, I find I get much higher FPS in both FSX and P3D in dense areas using an unlimited setting for FPS. I get at least 6 FPS less whenever I use a locked setting, whatever that setting may be...

Hi Chris,

On the contrary, this scenery was designed with both types of flying in mind. There have been many reports with very smooth performance with just default settings, and there will always be a few that must cut settings back to achieve desirable performance.

Every system is set up differently and it's impossible to cater for all setups perfectly.

At this stage the only thing I can recommend is the above, fiddle with the Cp settings and fsx settings to find a balance right for you.

I also recommend defragmenting your hard drive (not SSD) using a program such as defraggler, this often increases performance across the whole board significantly.

Don't use ground scenery shadows in fsx either, as this impacts performance tremendously.

Cheers

Hi Misha,

Thanks for being active and available on the forum. As many have said (don't want to puff up your ego too much) :) You have a lot of talent and a bright future ahead of you in 3D design! What I meant was ->for me<- this scenery is designed for low and slow. But that just reflects my own personal subjective taste, and is how I use Orbx scenery in general. As a native Californian flying over the state real world for over 50 years I need photo scenery to get that suspention of disbelief when flying high over my state in FSX. Other areas I've never been like Europe, Orbx is perfect up high since I dont know what it looks like real world. I was delighted to see you use the photoscenery in KTVL that you did, it really hits a home run in that area around the desolation wilderness, and hope you continue to use as much photoscenery as possible on your future products. Thanks for trying to help in the performace department. I've been doing this as a hobby consistantly for 30 years, and am retired from the commercial flight simulation industry, so I have a pretty good grasp on systems and system tuning in FSX, but like a good pilot never stops learning, neither the flight simulation enthusiast ehh :) Yeah I use all SSD's so no defragmenting there. Just need to dial down a few things if I want to fly say the Orbx RV4 at TVL, but I'm perfectly happy with the Cub and maxed out settings. Good job on TVL and keep up the great work!

Chris

Cloudswimmer,

So to the OP I'm curious which aircraft you have tried flying around KTVL?

Originally I used the A2A commanche which is my current aircraft of choice but understanding the demands of accusim om the sim I switched to the RealAir Ballanca and its those results I reported.  However, the features list does include 'Optimised for the NGX and Airlines' so the implication is that the scenery still allows suffcient headroom to run these complex addons?

Don't get me wrong, the scenery is visually stunning but I have a general point on visuals, performance etc that I think I'll take to the discussion area. As for now I accept that my once heavy duty machine can be brought to its knees by some flora :-)

I had a similar issue when I first ran this airport and found it was simply those bushes, I unticked them and my FPS stays locked at 35 while looking directly down runway 18 in the A2A Piper Cub. All my other settings are maxed out in FSX and the KTVL control panel. I'm running Ultimate Traffic 2 for air traffic with 25% GA and 60% commercial. I also run some pretty heavy sparse grid super sampling in Nvidia Inspector so that probably explains the FPS hit. My Nvidia Inspector settings reflect the recommendations made by Steve on his DirectX 10 website.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Hi Misha,

I just installed KTVL, the latest NCA patch (I assume not PNW as states in the .pdf?), the latest libs, and I think my performance suffers too much on the runways.  Sitting on the ramp looking at your nice handiwork, I get a frame rate of 40.  Turn and look north or south from there, and I get mid 20's.  Move to a runway to take off, and it's 19 or 20 which I am not at all interested in.  So I wanted to change the complexity settings using the KTVL control panel, however I get this error message whenever I choose an option:

Could not switch option 'Stones', or any other option 'Could not switch option '3D grass level 2'.

Be nice to post an image here, but I can't see how.

Help w/ the Control Panel for KTVL.   Thanks!

noel

Hi Noel,

Go to your .....\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery folder and right click ModuleInstaller.exe, select run as Administrator, make sure the correct path for your main fsX folder is selected and then hit the "Install Flight Simulator module(s)" That should activate the stuff

please make sure you Have Admin Rights and that UAC is disabled also worthwhile is to exclude fsX from continuous Anti Virus scanner programs

Thanks for that.  I'm using P3DV2.2, and went to the same place in the app to run ModuleInstaller.exe, but the error remains.  Could it be related to running the Estonia Migration Tool?   Anyway, no joy yet.  Other ideas?

Hi Noel,

The scenery won't work if you used the Estonia migration tool to port it over. The FSX and P3D files are completely different and you will encounter many visual errors.

The KTVL installer has an option for P3D so best option is to remove the FTX_AA_KTVL folder which you ported over, and reinstall KTVL into P3D using the official installer.

Cheers

Hi Noel,

The scenery won't work if you used the Estonia migration tool to port it over. The FSX and P3D files are completely different and you will encounter many visual errors.

The KTVL installer has an option for P3D so best option is to remove the FTX_AA_KTVL folder which you ported over, and reinstall KTVL into P3D using the official installer.

Cheers

I'm still not sure what you are suggesting.  Are you suggesting I 'Disable Virtual FSX' prior to the install?  I did use the native installer, but I have have had EMT in virtual fsx mode i think.

OK, I did hit the Disable Virtual FSX and reinstalled KTVL--and all's well now.  This allowed me to dial back some settings and I now have good performance.

Many thanks ;o)  

Archived