A bit disappointed on my home bases [EBLG OpenLC EU]

hello,

first, thank you for all your wonderful products (see my signature....)

Not so bad LC and new textures but  I'm a bit disappionted with my two home base approach land class: I do not find the feeeling of reality at all !

May be a future pacth can adjust a bit the LC in the direct vicinity of these two airports?

EBLG is one of the main cargo airport of europe...

349829ComparaisonEBLGreal.jpg

494921ComparaisonEBLGlceuro.jpg

and EBSP

560492ComparaisonEBSPreal.jpg

116805ComparaisonEBSPlcEurope.jpg

Bug.

Greetings All,

Hey Bug, don't take it so hard. When the kind folks at Orbx nailed my airfield (ID85 Elk River, ID) they wiped out a fair amount of the town. ;) The approach and feel of the place are perfect... And I love the the new house Orbx built for me on the flight line!

Respectfully,

Brian

Hello,

thanks for answering.

I do understand, but my "hopes" was to find again the feeling of a real approach with a good land class, but, in this case, there is no improvement on my two home base... (even worst for EBSP than default)

Depite this, I like very much the new textures provided with the LC.

Hoping a sharper improvement soon.... :unsure:

Bug.

I sympathize with ya Bug, But like everyone says,  The world is a big place. My favorite area is a little, "off" also. One question, On approach do those differences throw you off any? 

Yes, it does, just have a look on the 05 EBSP aproach, there is no house at all: EBSP is a part of FTX global freeware airport

aid,apt,e,b,ebsp,ai,1296508337854.jpg

Bug.

Hi Bug those areas around those two airports would have to be hand crafted as I understand that the  land class is a 1km by 1km square so there are constraints to what is possible using automation, so if I am correct these area's would have to be done by hand a long laborious job I believe, I expect given time things will be made much better, Rome was not built in a day. I hope that helps your understanding a little.

Regards

Hi Bug those areas around those two airports would have to be hand crafted as I understand that the  land class is a 1km by 1km square so there are constraints to what is possible using automation, so if I am correct these area's would have to be done by hand a long laborious job I believe, I expect given time things will be made much better, Rome was not built in a day. I hope that helps your understanding a little.

Regards

OK! Thank you for this precision !

Bug.

Hi Bug, I think in this case the main problem is that some users are real life VFR pilots, some others aren't. 

VFR pilots have difficulties with generated scenery because "we know". I'm also disappointed about missing so much real scenery in my favorite areas or finding completly wrong placed pieces of townscapes or landscapes. I just finished a testflight in Italy (I mentioned the route in another post) and I'm really sad about the results.

"Not knowing" is sometimes the better way to enjoy the virtual ORBX landscape and there in fact ORBX did a great job, not with accuracy but with "felt realism". F. e. cruising around ORBX England landscapes, for me it feels "real" as I've just seen it lots of times as passenger on commercial flights, but not knowing the small citys names and places of this beautyful country. 

So I can enjoy the landscape whre I don't know the real Thing, but it's awful to see VFR-known places completely disordered in the simulation. I just hope that ORBX will push the OpenLC bugfixing more intense than they do with this Vector stuff.  

The worse way to deal with a huge scenery like Open LC is to fly over your own city.

In fact it's a non sens to think that you will identify your neighborhood using a scenery that has been designed for a whole continent.

If you really want that, go for photoreal.

The worse way to deal with a huge scenery like Open LC is to fly over your own city.

In fact it's a non sens to think that you will identify your neighborhood using a scenery that has been designed for a whole continent.

If you really want that, go for photoreal.

Ok, ok, ok,  I know and understand what you mean, but, for exemple, in the case of EBSP, a city was born from nowhere in woods with this LC so you can undestand that's a bit surprising ???

May be a bit more attention on Belgium will be more realistic?

It seems there is a lot of simmer in my little country and all these peoples are ORBX 's fan....

Anyway, I'm happy with all ORBX products and surely will continue to warm-up my credit card to complete my Sim.

Just a bit disappointed with these little things....

Bug.

The advice that makes the most sense given the scale of the project is to raise issues and hope something can be easily done to incorporate your wishes, in which case it may well be.  But, there are 10,000,000 sq km of landclass cells each of 1x1 sq km that have to be assigned a 'class of land'.  Within each cell there can only be one 'class of land' unless the scenery is hand-annotated.

So each request must be not only looked at and assessed, but maybe actioned if the accuracy is way off.  If there are only 1% of scenery cells that are reported, that's still 10,000 tasks for the team to assess, let alone action.

Hope this adds some perspective to your impression of what OLC Eu can achieve on a local scale.

The advice that makes the most sense given the scale of the project is to raise issues and hope something can be easily done to incorporate your wishes, in which case it may well be.  But, there are 10,000,000 sq km of landclass cells each of 1x1 sq km that have to be assigned a 'class of land'.  Within each cell there can only be one 'class of land' unless the scenery is hand-annotated.

So each request must be not only looked at and assessed, but maybe actioned if the accuracy is way off.  If there are only 1% of scenery cells that are reported, that's still 10,000 tasks for the team to assess, let alone action.

Hope this adds some perspective to your impression of what OLC Eu can achieve on a local scale.

Yes, I understand! So let's hope.....

Bug.

Yes, I also know that the coverage and the efforts are huge but...

... sorry, the old fashioned UTX did a better job, with customisable vector data for different street types, beaches, lakesites, coastlines etc etc. AND more exact landclasses where I could identify almost everything I know from real VFR flying. Off course UTX didn't have the coverage of OpenLC but I think it would be much better to release smaller but much more accurate LC parts of the world instead of such a LC bulk load, containing more or less severe faults.

Particularly when the expectations had been pushed to the max in advance with all these screenshots and announcements etc. I'm not expecting to find my own home or rubbish like that in OpenLC but it should be closer to reality. The really neat (but sometimes false) impression given by OpenLC is the same as visiting Germany as a tourist from Down Under and expecting to see everybody wearing leather trouser and drinking beer... That's nice but wrong.

I am ready to pay money for good accuracy in smaller parts parts of OpenLC EU. If you would sell every 10 EU LC packages as single solutions for about 10 AUD$ each or a bundle of 10 for about 100 AUD$, this would be a fair solution and a reasonable price, providing that the accuracy would be greatly improved. And why not combining OpenLC with Vector like UTX did it? 

I'm still a happy ORBX customer, enjoying the small airfields and the older regions like PNW and AU. and I'm buying almost every new ORBX product. But the "Master Products" Global, the still very faulty and incomplete Vector stuff and now OpenLC with its lack af accuracy, they all need a "little" more refinement.

Hi John, this is not a crusade againts ORBX! As you might know I'm pleased with nearly every product of ORBX and that's why I also bought almost each of them, more than 70 on the last count...

I really understand that such a big project can not be done perfect on the first run so that it will suit everybodies expectations. Therefore your yesterdays "Holy Cow!" post is really helpful and I hope the community with use the chance to improve OpenLC by sending screenies with suggestions for improvement.

Btw, as I mentioned in another post, I really enjoy (!) the OpenLC landscapes wherever I've never seen the real landscape on a VFR flight with my friend's C182. Off course I do not compare OpenLC scenery with Google Earth or Maps images, just because I really like what I see (apart from some issues at well known regions) with OpenLC.

And off course I congratulate you and your team by heart for the huge number of OpenLC sales and the smile on ORBX team faces for all the happy OpenLC customers!!!

My additional 2c worth I should have added in my last post is to take charge of your patch!

Years ago when VOZ introduced better scenery around my home city I was disappointed in the surrounding scenery which was absolutely wrong in areas as big as 30 x 10 km!  I did some research, downloaded a couple of tools, and spent a week modifying the scenery tiles to better reflect the landscape.  It was never perfect but at least farmland replaced forests in areas where it was needed.

The same tools and programs are available in many locations today, and allow the hand annotation of scenery areas, excludes and instant scenery objects.  A change of a small area on approach to an airport you know shouldn't take more than a few hours to learn and modify... for your own use of course!

Archived