Morphing textures - FTXGlobal - should I use the backup terrain.cfg

Jethro VH-JET

Hi guys,

Asking for help from the team, Its been such a long time away, hope you are all doing great, I really miss the days of testing and deadlines (maybe not the deadlines) eyesight worse than ever and struggling on regardless, have bought a few more titles, FTXGlobal is one that I have finally been able to install, my new stuff along with regions such as PNW and Australia, as with all the other titles and the many beta builds I tested, never had any trouble..

For the first time ever I am having difficulties knowing exactly what to do, I've installed FTXG and finally have begun installing the free FTXG airfields (FTX Global Freeware Airports NA Pack 1) all went well and every airfield a vision of beauty, and no problems with texture morphing in Regions previously or FTXG default.

Next I installed (FTX Global Freeware Airports NA Pack 2) and went to KBIH "Eastern Sierra" Having FTXCentral set to FTXGlobal mode, and flew from the airport towards the mountains and noticed some out of place textures, then the morphing began, water, striping, unusual features, irrigation crop circles. Zooming to overhead view the problem grew to cover the entire valley floor. (Pics below) this is no doubt the morphing effect Holger spoke of in FAQ's

Question: Should I try the backup terrain.cfg from (G:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work) as per the Holgers FAQ on morphing textures, or is this fix just for when Regions begin to morph.

Or

Because I have FTXG installed as well, should I use the backup terrain.cfg from (G:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\FTX Global\Backup)

f5SdM.jpg

9WMX5.jpg

aX5ou.jpg

cAYba.jpg

Many thanks if you might shed some light into my darkness.

Ta Dieter, it does, and Holgers advice in the FAQ and that link is what I will try, if I can clarify whether the terrain.cfg residing in the FTXGlobal backup folder should be used in this case. Failing that I have kept a backup of the faulty one, don't really want to put that one back. 

Hi Jeff,

are you using NCA as well? In any case you need to make sure that the Global OpenLC entries are below your FTX block of entries in the scenery library menu. That's because the ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 folder contains landclass improvements to the US southwest that can lead to display issues if the entry is above the NCA entries.

Cheers, Holger

Thankyou Holger, appreciate you coming back with some sage wisdom, before I went and did something silly. I do indeed have NCA installed + NCA-SP1, although it was not active because I was not in Hybrid mode or in NorthAmerican Region, I was operating / installing & sightseeing in FTXGlobal default mode after each Freeware FTXG airport pack, #2 is when things went south.

I think I have the problem licked though, having checked the FSX Library order as it was, before doing anything drastic all seems to be in right order (picture below). I decided to cycle FTXCentral a few times between NorthAmerica & FTXGlobal & it seems to have righted its self.

Could you compare the pictures below to see if this is correct, it seems alright to me now and am not noticing glitches anywhere else. The Mountain texture has changed quite significantly from previous pics, I kinda liked the first ones only without the morphing.

giwEY.jpg

YBefC.jpg

THKma.jpg

C2i1n.jpg

Hi Jeff,

those screenshots look OK to me. While FTX Global replaces the default landclass textures, which have to work across the globe, the FTX regions bring their own full set of textures derived from local source imagery meaning it's not surprising they offer a more realistic representation of the local mountains and lowlands. Your first set of screenshots clearly show the NCA landclass files meaning the NCA 08 folder must have been active in your scenery library menu.

Cheers, Holger

Archived