Black Lines

tuisong

Hi, I was just wondering what would cause the black lines running from the fire to the aeroplane? They follow the aeroplane like lasers. This shot is at 6CL9 Peoria NCA. Although this was the first time I have come across this, it happened again on another NCA strip, which I didn't record. Sorry.

4XlA.jpg

I'm seeing it too.  I am thinking it is "scenery/object/P3D" related. I can uncheck this scenery and the problem goes away. I only see this on ONE of 500 scenery locations we have at Return to Misty Moorings. This is in P3D ... it is not showing in FSX/DX10. This is probably more P3D related (LM) than FTX.  But I thought you'd like to see a second example with a little more information. Whatever it is, the answer will be interesting.

Doug/RTMM

.powerboat_regatta.jpg

See my screenshot, same position at 6CL9/NCA in FSX.

- I don't have black lines, but I wonder I don't have smoke. Where does it come from? (I didn't change anything)

Maybe that's the culprit?

Dieter

hjpHb.jpg

What's interesting is I don't see the lines in FSX, but in P3D.  I'm taking the scenery package apart this morning to see which objects are the culprits. 

Update:  Found them. in "Mission Objects" (FSX Acceleration) .. gen_pylon RedBull_1

As soon as I took them out, the lines disappeared.  So this is "object" related, and again I'm seeing it only in P3D ... and for Return to Misty Moorings, this was the only place the lines were seen in over 600 scenery locations and literally thousands (over 4000) objects.  Maybe this will give the smarter folks an idea what this could be.  It is not a problem for us, I'm going to remove that scenery, and the problem is gone for us ... but it should be "noted" for other people.  I don't see any red bull pylons in tuisong's picture.

Hi guys,

the object in question at 6CL9 is a campsite object from the FSX/P3D default "missionobjects.bgl" library. As Alex reckoned the black lines occur when "Ground scenery shadows" is active in the FSX Settings > Display > Scenery menu, which indicates an issue with the way it has been modeled. There's nothing we can do that about other than removing the object. However, we recommend not using ground scenery shadows anyway because there are many 3D objects that don't display proper shadowing and, probably more important, it's quite a bit of a resource/fps hog in areas with lots of scenery objects.

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: Dieter, not sure why the smoke won't display for you assuming you have "advanced animations" checked in the FSX display menu. It's a default effect and, even if somehow the corresponding effect textures went missing, it would still display as moving black boxes.  

Archived