Advice on Monitors Please

Hi everyone, I have the dreaded shadows appearing on my monitor,I searched Google and a fix was to unplug then re plug the power supply.That seemed to work for two weeks, but now it is back and worse than before.So I have a couple of questions if you would take the time to respond on your experience please. My current Monitor (only 48 months old) is the LG E Flatron E2441

1: What is a great monitor ?

2: Well any insight of what to look out for ?

3: As far as quality is concerned, does the image look crisper and sharper on some, and can I get Plasma or Hd?

4: Does a bigger screen affect P3DV2.2 in performance as such.?

5: And has anyone used this LG? 

V49ef.jpg

1: What is a great monitor ?

2: Well any insight of what to look out for ?

3: As far as quality is concerned, does the image look crisper and sharper on some, and can I get Plasma or Hd?

4: Does a bigger screen affect P3DV2.2 in performance as such.?

5: And has anyone used this LG? 

1. I'm glad you asked this question, many people don't seem to be aware that there are several different monitor technologies with key differences between them. This is mostly because the monitor type is rarely ever mentioned in the marketing blurb and often not even in the tech specs on sales pages. There are three main types, TN, IPS and VA. Here's a short explanation of the differences: http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/. Broadly speaking, IPS is the best, TN is the worst, and the prices reflect that. If you've ever seen an amazingly cheap monitor, it's probably TN, if it's expensive it's probably IPS.

2. Colour depth/quality, viewing angle and response time are the main ones.

• TN monitors have the fastest response time and are apparently ideal for gamers playing first person shooters and other games that require very fast reflexes. Colour quality is terrible though. They're only 6 bits per colour channel (so only 18 bit colour instead of 24) and they have to use dithering to reproduce all the colours. This is particularly noticeable in the shadows. Useless for any colour critical work (like video or photo editing) and they just don't look as good as the other types. Viewing angle is terrible, which means that you get colour shifts and the screen blacking out if you don't look at them straight on. Avoid unless you really need a fast response speed or you're on a low budget.
  • IPS is the better option and is used in high price monitors that are often marketed at photographers due to their high quality colour reproduction, although you don't have to be a photographer to appreciate that. Colour quality does vary though, with the better monitors offering up to 99% of sRGB (necessary for colour critical work). Viewing angle is very wide, there's hardly any difference looking at them from any angle. Response time is slower though, but it's improved a lot over the years and isn't really a problem anymore. The average gamer wouldn't notice any difference.
  • VA is in between the two, but closer to IPS. I think that's not used so often anymore.

My first LCD was a VA, which I was very happy with, but my newer two are both IPS and are much better. I'm a photographer so I need the quality. Only one of them (16:10) is photo quality, the other (21:9) I use for gaming, but they both look great. My 29" monitor even has a "gaming mode" setting which reduces the colour quality and increases the response time, but I've never felt the need to use it.

3. I don't think sharpness is really an issue, but I'm not sure that a screen designed for TV would be ideal for computer use. I don't know how plasma compares. I don't know much about the TV side of things. It may be fine for big screen gaming, but someone else would have to comment on that.

4. Larger screens require a more powerful graphics card, but with modern computers that's unlikely to be a problem.

5. No, but my latest monitor is a Dell 29" 21:9, and I believe that LG make the screens for it, and unlike the LG version, it comes with a good height adjustable stand. It looks really good and I want one!

I was looking at a video about that very monitor today and was just about to post about it myself. Here's the review:

>http://youtu.be/KnrxNfxRK_4

I too have been looking at ultra-wide monitors as an alternative to multiple monitor set-ups.

The only problem with this however is that with three monitors, you can angle the outer two monitors so as to create a more panoramic experience, whereas with a single flat screen the edges may appear too far away. I am wondering whether these new curved TVs would solve this problem.

In my research I came across this awesome LG 105-inch ultra-wide curved TV, which could run FSX/P3D at a staggering 5120 x 2160 resolution. At $70,000 however, it's a bit outside my price range. I'll have to stick with the 55" ones, which can be bought for around $4,200.

But, we can dream - imagine P3D on this: :D

lg-105-lcd.jpg

Coming from three 25 inch monitors in both Nvidia's surround and ATi's eyefinity what rockiffe is true. Three to five monitors are very immersive! 

My best decision was to go with a large LG 47" 120 HZ 3D TV. I can now fly without my glasses! The color, clarity, detail and response time are a thing of beauty! 

Picking up details I never new existed in FSX and games as well! I was fortunate to pick  up new one for $500 US at a local shop, one on sale as a loss leader!

Absolutely no regrets!!!

My two cents!

P.S. 120hz or 240hz TV specs are misleading, in reality most refresh @ 60hz 

Unless wide monitors 'wrap' around the pilot's view, all you'll end up with is an image with the wrong perspective!

Actually, you'll have the wrong perspective anyway. Perspective is a complex issue. There are different kinds of perspective, such as rectilinear and curvilinear. See example photos here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectilinear_lens.

Camera lenses are usually rectilinear, meaning that they use many lens elements to correct the image to ensure that straight lines remain straight. This effect is best seen in wide angle lenses. Cheap lenses often show curved lines, while expensive lenses have better corrections. However, the corrections that keep straight lines straight actually distort the image, stretching it toward the corners. This is sometimes noticeable when you photograph a group of people with a wide angle lens - people's faces near the corners are distorted. I think that Flight Sim uses a rectilinear projection, just like a camera lens. This can be seen in the corners and edges when you zoom right out, particularly noticeable with a 21:9 monitor. Have you ever noticed the moon being stretched instead of perfectly circular?

But get ready for a shock - reality is curved! It doesn't look the way we see it in photographs! Our eyes only have one lens with no correction, so we actually see straight lines as curves. Yet we don't notice this! Only the central part of our eyes is sharp and the rest is blurry, so our eyes flick around gathering data from different parts of the scene, and our brains do an amazing trick of fooling us that we're looking at a single sharp image. Since our brains know that straight lines are straight, it fools us into thinking that we're seeing straight lines, when in reality they are curved. It's actually possible to see this if you try very hard. If you look at a scene that has straight lines, like the top of a wall, but you fix your gaze at a lower point, it's possible to see the curvature in the blurry edges of our peripheral vision. Not easy, but it is possible if you concentrate hard enough.

This principle is demonstrated well with a panoramic camera. I took these photos with a Horizon 202 camera which has a rotating lens, which means that the lens is corrected vertically, but not horizontally, resulting in massively unrealistic curves if the camera isn't perfectly horizontal. Take particular notice of the photo of Tesco in the bottom right of the web page. The camera is perfectly horizontal and faces the centre of the building, but the roof, which is a perfect straight line in reality, curves toward the edges. This is not the camera lens that's curving it, it's due to the fact that the edges of the building are further away from the camera than the centre of the building, so this is what it really looks like, except that we don't consciously see it that way. Note the white lines of the parking bays too, those are pointing straight at one another, but are curved also.

http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/articles/swansea-docks-panoramas.html

One reason we don't notice curves like this is because we don't see in "wide angle", our focus is on a much narrower field of view, around 45 degrees (a 50mm camera lens is 47 degrees). The panoramic camera captures an angle of view of 120 degrees, which is why the curvature is so noticeable in the photograph. It is realistic, but it looks very strange to us because we just don't see that wide.

With regard to field of view and monitors, in order for the perspective to look correct, the field of view of the image onscreen must match the field of view of your eyes when viewing the screen. So if the image onscreen shows a 90 degree field of view, you must sit at the correct distance from your monitor so that the width of the monitor fills 90 degrees of the field of view of your eyes. It should become immediately obvious that if you have your flight sim zoom set to ultra-wide, then you'll either need to sit very close to the screen, or you'll need a very large screen (or multiple monitors). Also, since we see the world curved (everything we see wraps around us, as if we are in the centre of a sphere), the monitor needs to be curved too, at the right angle, so that all parts of the monitor are the same distance from our eyes.

Looking at the picture of the curved monitor further up in this thread, it should be obvious that there's a "focal point", a specific point that you should sit at so that all parts of the monitor are the same distance away from you. You'll then need to work out the angle of view from that point. For the image onscreen to look correct, you'll need to set the zoom to match that angle of view. Only then will the perspective look "correct"...

...except that it won't, because the flight sim is using rectilinear correction and stretching the corners of the image! :blink:

For this to work therefore, the way the image is displayed in flight sim would need to be "uncorrected", to show the curves that exist in reality. With a huge screen that curves around you, sitting at the focal point of the screen, with a matching field of view on the screen, and an uncorrected image - THEN the perspective would match reality! 8)  You wouldn't (shouldn't) notice the curved lines on the screen for the same reason that you don't notice them in reality, your brain would (should) correct for them and fool you.

On the other hand, you could just buy a big monitor, go flying and simply not worry about any of this stuff! :D

P.S. I watch frame rates too... :)

Archived