VOZ outback and also northern wilderness regions

krigl

Hi, very excited about the coming product, and also looking forwards to the Gold screenshots too... it's going to ROCK....

My Q? is about the tropical north and the desert outback regions. Having just finished a tour of the whole coastline of VOZ, and also flying all the way through the middle, I'm only too aware of what can also be seen on any map - most of it is flat, depressingly uniform, and without settlements or airfields.

While I'm sure that your textures will be gorgeous and the landclass work impeccable, the fact remains that FS is at it's best when there are mountains and lakes around, and most importantly places to land. Flying in a bugsmasher (what this detailed texture add-on is mainly all about) really isn't much fun when it takes four hours to get from one airfield to another, and all you can see below is flat red sand and rock.

I can imagine that it will make Australia complete, and be of benefit to tube pilots flying over from Asia for example. And the transitional regions between areas will be fascinating to explore, as a flight carries you in a couple of hours from desert into the tropics, or lush farmland for example.

I can't imagine though that many people will want to fly around the desert centre much, though, or over hundreds of kms of rainforest without end. My question is:

Will there be some kind of 'extra value' included in the North and Outback region packs? Because if it's 'just' amazing textures it would seem to have a lot less 'value' than the inhabited, complex regions of the south and the East coast.

Just one or two well modelled airports included with these packs would really give them a boost. Or alternately, put the two regions together in one pack perhaps. It's just a thought.

I might get a kick up the bottom for being 'disloyal' here, but with GEX now available for the US in 'enhanced form' and really looking pretty nice, the people who buy GEX for Asia/Australia/Oceania might sit and think a while and say - '60 Australian dollars for 2 regions in which I'll rarely fly. Perhaps the GEX textures will do'...

....then again, hopefully your team will be faster as Vos/Needham are doing Europe right now, but like I said, maybe something to think about.

I think part of the 'problem' for me is in the one price for all regions concept. I think 30 Aus dollars for Aus Blue is incredible value - I'd have paid much more... but it's not going to necessarily make everyone go out and spend the same money on something with a lot less 'value' in it just because 'you gave me a great deal last time so I'll buy something that has much less in it for me this time because you're a great company.' People will choose according to how they spend their flying time, and how much is in their wallet. 

You guys are the business people not me, but I'd have gone for a higher pricetag for your first effort - people would have paid it for sure - and lower prices for the other regions. So I'm just wondering if you have anything special planned for these regions. I'll probably buy them anyway, lol..... ;D

Anyway, I'll shut up now...sorry if it seems like I'm lecturing - can't help it, I'm a teacher  ::);D - just trying to help really...

Wishing you all the best with this venture...

Cheers

Krigl

I can't imagine though that many people will want to fly around the desert centre much, though, or over hundreds of kms of rainforest without end. My question is:

Alice Springs to Ayres Rock is nice short flight.  Would look amazing with FTX treatment I reckon.  Especially if they can add some of the dynamic content that was talked about before (eg pick-up trucks kicking up dust, livestock etc)

Alice Springs to Ayres Rock is nice short flight.   Would look amazing with FTX treatment I reckon.   Especially if they can add some of the dynamic content that was talked about before (eg pick-up trucks kicking up dust, livestock etc)

I guess that could be the sort of 'added value' I mean...doesn't have to be airports, could be missions set in different areas where the regions are at their best, with added dynamic eye candy, something with more than just textures...

Hello Krigl,

those are some very well thought out points; thanks for sharing.

I'm just one of the data crunchers on this project but I do know that some of our source data contain interesting features that we're hoping to exploit in the regions RED and GREEN, respectively. Sorry, can't be more specific at this point  ;)

The issue with missions is that they are very involved in terms of making them yet limited in "replay" value. However, Jim Keir is just about to publish his Mission Editor utility, which will make the process much simpler both for hobby/freeware mission builders as well as commercial vendors. See http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewtopic.php?t=738

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the feedback Krigl, it's much appreciated!

Actually AU RED is probably going to have the most content and features out of all our Oz regions. We also have someone now on the team making professional mission packs with full voiceovers and a lot of fun to do, which will come bundled with all regions. But back on topic - the outback is far from featureless and boring. Some of the most amazing, almost alien landscapes in the world can be found there and the mountain and rock formations in places are amazing. I can assure you AU RED is not just about some pretty textures (in fact, FTX is so much more than just ground textures), but there will be lots of airports, private strips, large properties with cattle, road trains, dust storms and lots more we're still working on. We also will have fences covering the entire outback. I can see missions being built around fence inspections, kangaroo kulling hunts, cattle droving in helos, SAR operations for lost hikers and lots more.

Orbx will also strive to give much more than just a texture addon. That's not the business we're into. We're all about making immersive, realistic and fun VFR environments. So as we've mentioned, we're giving away 40+ airports for AU BLUE, with probably 50+ for AU GOLD and goodness knows how many for the other regions. Add to that the missions being worked on now, perhaps some aircraft repaints and much more, and I think the value is actually very, very good.

But again, good points raised and thank you!

Will there be some kind of 'extra value' included in the North and Outback region packs? Because if it's 'just' amazing textures it would seem to have a lot less 'value' than the inhabited, complex regions of the south and the East coast.

I have to disagree here...  When flying in the Northwest of WA, there are a huge variety of landforms and "textures" evident in the real world.  There are also multiple opportunities for creating something worthwhile with various mining environments, townships and even shipping facilities.  Granted elevations aren't as varied as the Canadian Rockies or Italian Alps, but fly over the Bungle Bungles, Ningaloo Reefs, Lake Ballard and Karajini National Park amongst many others in a puddle jumper and you will know what I mean.

And those don't even count the hugely varying coastlines that are evident.  Please don't assume that the MS view of Oz is anything approaching reality...  Orbx and FTX have a much better handle on it IMHO.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow.... :o

It sounds like my fears were groundless then. It all sounds absolutely incredible!!

I am a little skeptical that you'll get all that done for 3 regions by the end of the year, but even if you don't, the wait will be surely worth it!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me - again demonstrating that you guys really are a quality team. Perhaps you might like to add some more of this detail to the region pack introductions on the website, as IMHO they don't quite give this feeling of 'WOW all this will be there?!' that comes from when I read what you are telling me.

Would you mind if I linked to this post from Simviation - I think a good few people might like to hear about this....

Wishing you all the best in creating this magnificent add-on

Roger/Krigl

I think you are missing the point roger,i don't think it matters how long it takes

a region after the first one is released. Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery for England

an Wales is in four(4)parts,Frances VFR Real Scenery is in just as many.

You buy the first one,enjoy that,untill the next one comes along,and hope,it does not take to long.

I think nearly all regions of England and France VFR Real Scenery were in the shops

by about 18 months.

JohnG.... :-*:-* :-*

This is great news on the Red region. I was wondering if the ORBX team would see the region as just a means to complete Aus and provide limited ground textures only - now I am inspired by the vision given by ORBX. Anyone who has seen the Mcdonnell ranges near Alice Springs as well as Ayers Rock at sunset will never forget the sight. And the colours on the north west coast of WA where desert meets the turquiose waters of the Indian ocean is just stunning. This region has the potential to be the most beautiful of all given the contrast of colours and landscapes. My RFDS PC-12 is ready to explore !

Wow.... :o

It sounds like my fears were groundless then. It all sounds absolutely incredible!!

I am a little skeptical that you'll get all that done for 3 regions by the end of the year, but even if you don't, the wait will be surely worth it!!

AU GOLD will be in tester's hands late next week, perhaps as soon as Wednesday. Most of the work over the last 12 months has been in doing R&D developing the tech behind FTX. 99% of that is now done, so creating new region packs will take a fraction of the time of the first region.

Also great news Koorby - thank you for your time and patience!!

JohnG - I've been waiting for this product since before FSX was even released; please forgive my enthusiasm/impatience after something like 20 months; it's hard to imagine that the rest of the regions will just pop up like mushrooms after rain, but if Koorby says so, then it is so. It DOES matter how long it takes anyway - simmers all over the world are looking forward to seeing what Orbx does next  :)

AU GOLD will be in tester's hands late next week, perhaps as soon as Wednesday. Most of the work over the last 12 months has been in doing R&D developing the tech behind FTX. 99% of that is now done, so creating new region packs will take a fraction of the time of the first region.

Excellent.... Looking forward to some screens!

Matt, I have AU GOLD up and running on my dev laptop now, looks great, but needs some base landclass region definition changes, so screens will be a week or two away. I also don't want to distract the beta testing team with new goodies to play with while we enter the final week before release of AU BLUE. But I have to say, flying from Coolangatta and over Surfers and into YBBN last night was a visual treat! :)

Like others - I have to say that the centre and deserts of Australia are anyththing but flat and featureless.  There is incredible variation in coulour, topography, etc - much of it visible from 38,000 feet.  Nothing as crude as the Alps of course.  More subtle - much like the average Australian!

Regards

Simon

Alright, alright guys, I get the picture... the red centre isn't boring... ;D

Well, having never been to Australia and living maybe 10000km away or more, and after using Vista Australis for 2 years and the VOZ forums for over one, and seeing hardly any scenery developed (by Australians) for the red centre, and hardly any screenshots (by Australians) from there either, plus flying over it myself in VOZ and finding almost nowhere to land, and just hundreds and hundreds of km of BORING flat land....what other conclusion am I supposed to draw... :D

Looking forward to Orbx bringing it to life!

Cheers - Krigl

Archived