KMRY Airport Elevation

FireRx

Hey guys,

Flying with my friends, one with orbx and the other with default FSX  scenery, and I see both of their aircraft above ground like 50 ft or so. So we  test flew to KHAF, and to KOAK and everything was normal at those airports. Did something in the new KMRY scenery pack change the default elevation? I installed the scenery pack, install the last Lib 140518, and run the auto-configuration in Vectors.  Did I miss a step here?

Hi FireRx,

it's not a fix it's an explanation. Both NCA and KMRY lower the default altitude meaning online flying with people not using either add-on won't work out. It's nothing special with KMRY as the same thing will happen at any of the several dozen airports within each of our regions that alter the default altitude.

Mind you it's not just the elevation; any third-party add-on for an airport also typically alters runway and taxiway positions, parking spots, buildings and structures, meaning all sorts of visual oddities are to be expected if people in group flights use different add-ons (or none).

Cheers, Holger 

aw man,  wow :(, is there a way I can set the elevation for that airport? It one of our frequent HOPS.  KFSO, KHAF, KOAK all on the same hop , but those airport's Elevations are okay

I tried to enable/disable in Vectors, but it stays at the same elevation in both setting..

This is a problem with the way FSX handles mesh / airport integration. It is what causes the airports to be on plateaus or in ditches when you add a hi-res mesh to a default airport. The only way around this is for everyone to be using the same mesh and scenery regardless of the creator of the scenery, be it free or payware. If the mesh or flattens change you will see this effect.

Hi again,

As Holger has pointed out in your other topic, there is much more sense for the airport to be at 205ft rather than the default 257ft - this is why it is the case in NCA, and why I made Monterey to be at 205ft. The average height of the field, the centre of the main runway and the middle of the field all lie at 205 feet. 

Changing the altitude of the airport back to the default altitude breaks the scenery terribly, as explained by Holger and demonstrated by the screenshot below. It is not simply a matter of flicking a switch - the terrain around the airport (even with major work) would look off, and most buildings, fences, hand-placed trees etc would need to be reworked to match the new terrain. 

t6WqU.jpg

What would be a much more realistic alternative, would be for your friends to download Airport Design Editor, a free and very user-friendly program that edits default airports - they could easily change the height of the default airport to 205ft to better work with KMRY.

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi there,

Jarrad's idea with having your friends change the default KMRY elevation is a good one though it probably also requires placement of peripheral flattens to avoid having parts of the airport sit in a trench.

The quickest option to get on the same configuration as your multiplayer friends is to set FTX Central to Global, without the "hybrid" checkbox, and then also deactivate the FTXAA_KMRY entry in the scenery library. That will deactivate both NCA and KMRY and return the airport to the default altitude and layout.

Cheers, Holger 

the propose solution is unacceptable. My community is not going to change their elevations to suit one airport.  I fly 99.5% of the time in multiplayer with other pilots.  Can I get a refund and just uninstall it somehow?

I'm really sorry, we don't offer refunds.

We have suggested to you some reasonable solutions to a problem which falls outside of the scope of our normal customer support, I hope you understand that we can't offer customized modifications to individual customers. What you are experiencing is a known limitation of the multiplayer engine that is not limited to ORBX products - you have obviously been lucky to have not experienced a similar clash before. 

Again, my apologies, but we have done our best to explain the situation to you and offer some reasonable solutions to your problem.

Thanks,

Jarrad

That is something that should be disclosed before someone purchases Airport addons. These addons are not cheap and most of the community that have orbx just barely afford Global.  Not a happy camper right now. >:(  while the hybrid off solution does seem to work, it renders the facility not usable.   This affectively Killed any future purchases of Addon Airports since I wasted $32 bucks on something I cannot use.

I love my FTX Global, Vectors, and Regions. Awesome scenery!!! I waited to buy Vectors till the update came to make the altitudes fsx default friendly.

After reading this, I'm not buying Airport packs as I only fly online in multiplayer. Some of the guys I fly with don't have the money to buy extras like this or don't want too. I want us to be at the same altitude at the airports. I will steer clear for now.

FireRX thanks for posting.

If you didn't take the time to post I would have been stuck too.

Hang I there, maybe these guys will do the right thing.

Let us know ok?

Back to lurking.  :)

Archived