All AI traffic in England disappeared!

DeeJay

Hi together!

For a few weeks I have this very strange problem: All the AI traffic in England has disappeared in FSX! This is only concerning England, not Scotland. So I guess it has nothing to do with ORBX FTX, but I thought maybe anyone of those experienced simmers and developers here might have a clue. I have no idea which of my actions could have a relation to that problem. Yes, I have updated a few flightplans over the recent time, but that never was a problem and it still isn't generally.

I can nearly exclude the following errors because of the following reasons:

- FS9 code *.bgl traffic file that would disable the FSX traffic: In all the other regions traffic works fine (exept in TNCM I have the impression)

- faulty English flightplans: A lot of English flightplans work in other places, for example: I can see British Airways planes in Edinburgh, Paris, New York,... but there is not a single plane of any airline at Heathrow!

- faulty AFCAD flie: When I want to select a parking position in the scenery menu in FSX the parking designators are there as always and I can also select them so that FSX takes me to the proper gate.

- problem with addon scenery: It happens at ALL English sceneries (or at least at all places that I've tried so far: EGLL, EGPH, EGBB, EGGD, EGHI, EGSG,...), no matter if it's a ORBX, a UK2000, a default or any other addon scenery. The same goes for the kind of flightplans: self-compiled or default flight plans... simply nothing!

I should add that there is not only no traffic visible, but also no ATC communications all over England while the UI plane can communicate with ATC normally.

Any thoughts what could be wrong???

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Dominik

This may sound like a shot in the dark, but my AI Traffic ceased to exist only in England because FranceVFR installed a file ((TRF_Jetset.bgl) in one of their scenery folders (outside \Scenery\World\Scenery). So, maybe, this might have happened to you (not regarding FranceVFR specifically). So check if you installed any add-ons lately or search add-on folders for traffic files. 

@Wolter: I know, but in this case ALL AI traffic would have disappeared, right?? I already had this error before I knew about it.

@The Man_RJ: Wel... I don't have anything by FranceVFR, but searching for any other *bgl file would be like searching a needle in a haystack?? :-/ But seems as if I had no chance..

Disable (=FALSE) all scenery entries from SCENERY.cfg and see what happens. If this solves the problem, then you know one of these scenery entries is the culprit. So divide and conquer. Enable 50% of the scenery entries and see what happens. Go on like that until you nailed to just one entry.

Now, if disabling the sceneries entries doesn't work, go to your \SCENERY\WORLD\SCENERY folder and do the same as above, although this time rename the BGL files to OFF (your name or initials would be better, since some files may already have the .OFF extension).

Go it? :)

OK, I'm gonna start with your second method first because it should also work by creating a subfolder and moving all the "test" files there and thus disabling them. ;-)

Thank you for all your advices. First I hoped there was an easier way to find it out, but maybe someone else who has this problem can save that time if I can solve it.

I'll report back if I have it.

Its probably an fs9 traffic file. That won't kill ai worldwide, but it will kill ai in whatever region the old file is. In my case I had a freeware scenery that installed an fs9 taffic file for Sarajevo, that knocked out traffic for much of eastern Europe, but not everywhere. There is a freeware traffic utility you can download that will sniff out old traffic files for you. I forget what its called, but its the same one widely used to convert traffic files for WOAI. Worked for me.

Hi DeeJay

Download AIFP2 from http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=true and once extracted, run AIFP2. Click 'Files' then 'Find FS9 Traffic Files'. This will show up any FS9 files that are messing up system. When you have found your rogue trader, click 'Files' again then 'Convert FS9 Traffic Files to FSX' and follow instructions.

Hope this works

Kind Regards

Ian

OK Folks, you've been absolutely right! There was a small file named traffic_Goodwood.bgl that obviously had the wrong format. It was a file that I installed in a package (I believe from Avsim) which should add a bit of AI traffic to Goodwood. Now I also remember that I forgot to convert that very file into the FSX format then.

But anyway: Good to know it also works with AIFP2. I have this programme and I've even used it to add a bit of AI traffic to several - until then - "dead" GA airports. But I didn't know it can also find faulty *.bgl files so far.

The second lesson I've learned: Indeed not ALL traffic in the world is disabled with 1 or more *.bgl files in FS9 format, but maybe only 1 region - as someone mentioned above. Didn't know that so far. That also explains why I could see traffic in Scotland, but not in England.

Thanks again for all those helpful advices!

Best regards,

Dominik

Glad you got it fixed up! The tribal knowledge that mixing the files kills all the traffic has been around for a while, and probably has to do with folks who ported their entire woai install and nothing else worked. If theres just one or two traffic files, it definitely does not shut down traffic everywhere.

Archived