Here comes a 4GHZ processor folks..

Not really mate, since sandy bridge people have done 5GHz overclocks and the later generations overclocked less as the chips brought voltage regulators and the like onto the die and the issues with 3d transistors....all that means modern cpus overclock less. And each generation only brought about marginal per clock improvements from the prior with performance. Devils Canyon CPUs are a good product offering from Intel but it will only be incremental improvements not a game changer

Well, without overclocking, it's 14% faster than the 4770K. This means that if flight sim performance would scale perfectly with clock frequency and you got 25 FPS with the 4770K, you would get 28.5 FPS with this magical new CPU.

Well, without overclocking, it's 14% faster than the 4770K. This means that if flight sim performance would scale perfectly with clock frequency and you got 25 FPS with the 4770K, you would get 28.5 FPS with this magical new CPU.

For the price of $500+ likely!

any current haswell owner is better off waiting to see what broadwell holds, a 14% increase is not worth the price tag, unless you sell your current haswell for 80% of what it cost,on the other hand the thermal on the haswell refresh is suppose to be much better for overclockers,i myself as a current haswell owner will hold out for broadwell because the 10 series boards will have ddr4, why buy a motherboard twice.i wil jusst have to see what the refresh brings as far as overclocks.

any current haswell owner is better off waiting to see what broadwell holds, a 14% increase is not worth the price tag, unless you sell your current haswell for 80% of what it cost,on the other hand the thermal on the haswell refresh is suppose to be much better for overclockers,i myself as a current haswell owner will hold out for broadwell because the 10 series boards will have ddr4, why buy a motherboard twice.i wil jusst have to see what the refresh brings as far as overclocks.

I'm wondering how much of a difference DDR4 will make over DDR3. It's such a new technology, so I'd doubt any huge impact right off the bat.

well the haswell will be the first native 4 ghz intel cpu i believe, with the turbo boost, another 3 or 4 years and 5 ghz will probably be standard unless intel changes things around

Brett they wont progress to 5Ghz, atlest while using silicon as the base substrate material

I know your a younger guy and maybe youll live to see common place quantum computing or a new substrate like germanium in common use. For me in my lifetime I have seen Intel grow from less than a single MIPS to having the power of what used to be supercomputers in an apple iphone. I wont live to see the next major leaps. Weve hit a road end, with silicon substrate. Its all been about more parallel processing in modern times which isnt universally applicable to all computing tasks.

The thing is that silicon hits a thermal wall around 4GHz and it takes too much power power watt to increase it in the consumer level thermal design parameters with air cooling. IBM Mainframes can run sub zero and over 5ghz but that isnt consumer computing.

There was a megahertz race in the 90s and the 20s but its over now stifled by physics. Its all about more cores at the same speed these days

It seems logical moving to P3d and invest in high end gpu rather than paying 500$ for new intel chip. Fsx is dead-end anyway. If you have already powerful system, further investments for hardware can make performance only marginally better.    

It seems logical moving to P3d and invest in high end gpu rather than paying 500$ for new intel chip. Fsx is dead-end anyway. If you have already powerful system, further investments for hardware can make performance only marginally better.    

It's unknown how much it will costs, heck it's even unknown whether the new CPU will actually run at 4/4.4 Ghz, because for some odd reason the whole world seem to forget that this information is purley based on claims of a single web site in China and as for Prepar3D; also that one will continue to rely heavily on the CPU as long as developers continue to develop poorly performing add-ons and refuse to follow the excellent work that the Majestic team did in the area of peformance with their Q400.

It's unknown how much it will costs, heck it's even unknown whether the new CPU will actually run at 4/4.4 Ghz, because for some odd reason the whole world seem to forget that this information is purley based on claims of a single web site in China and as for Prepar3D; also that one will continue to rely heavily on the CPU as long as developers continue to develop poorly performing add-ons and refuse to follow the excellent work that the Majestic team did in the area of peformance with their Q400.

And I always wonder what holds developers back from following Majestic's path... If only PMDG could do this, I'd be thrilled.

Archived