Freeware airports all corrupted downloads

Hi there 413x3.  No-one else has responded to your post re corrupted freeware downloads, so I thought I'd throw in my observation that several members (including me) have suffered similar problems recently. In my case, every attempt to download EDBH has failed part-way through, resulting in a corrupted file.  John Dow kindly suggested I try using Free Download Manager, and I'm going to try it soon - and another member solved his problem using the DownThemAll plug-in for Firefox. But the inference I draw from this situation is that something is not quite right with the Orbx server - at least, the one supplyiing the freeware files. My ISP provides various test downloads, and my system handles them all with no problems.  Before resorting to download managers, I think I'd first like to be reassured by Orbx that the server involved is completely reliable. Given that several members have had comparable difficulties recently, I think it's worth having an Orbx tech check things carefully. I have so far had no trouble downloading files from other, unrelated servers. What do you think, 413?

Regards, Ian / Macismatic

Win xp, Core-2 Duo 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, GeF 8600GT, WD HDD's Cav Blk x3 for 1.1TB.  TP-Link W8961ND ADSL2+ modem.
FTX AU, PNW, CRM, PFJ, NRM, NZSI, NZNI, ENG, SCO, WLS, ICE Demo, & app 31 Orbx airports, Lancair.

(FSS0059133, FSS0064618, FSS0093118, FSS0114932 and lots more.)

I should like to add that I have tried to download all the North American free airports and not one will download correctly. I have tried with Internet Explorer, Google and Firefox. It would be nice to know if there will be a solution at some time.

Just like to add my pennyworth. I have never had any difficulty downloading Orbx files before, and can still download from any other site with no problem. For a week or so, now, I have not been able to complete any freeware airfield download. The result is always an interrupted download error which on restarting is followed by a premature "complete" and a corrupt result.

I am not to keen to use download managers unless there's no other way. Is there, possibly, a problem with the server concerned?

Hi

Just like to say i have the same problem downloading the free AU Airports and i have been trying for a few weeks also.

I could download the smaller Airports but anything over 70mb it just stops midway through and says it's finished.

The files in question are quite large, and as with any large file, if you get even the slightest interruption to your connection using a browser based downloader, the whole download becomes corrupted and is unusable. ORBX has always recommended using a download manager to download large files as this will protect you against interruptions or problems like you are getting.

The FTX guide here explains it all:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=18001

Personally, I'm cheap and so I use FDM (Free Download Manager) as its freeware and does a great job. Never had an issue with downloads since using it, but almost always had problems using IE or Chrome...

I will try a download manager, but the thing is i have downloaded all this before and it worked fine.

I have a new pc and i am busy re-installing FSX, got all my addons from FSS they all downloaded fine and i am going to give FTX Global a go.

But it would be nice to add all the freebies also.

hi

I just purchased the AU region and attempted to get the free AU mesh and had the same issue, will try the d/load manager.

Mike..

Archived