Prepar3D v2.2 Samedan to Lugano - Switzerland

Rob Ainscough

Your videos are pure joy, technical and visual quality is outstanding!

A small remark to Lugano: streetlamps seem much brighter than airport-lights.

Cheers, Fritz

Thank you sir.  Yeah, the Orbx lights do seem a little bright even when I have them set to low brightness in Lights Configurator. 

862906594472fddffec15e8c65914e14.jpg

Absolutely beautiful Robains! ::)

Mountainous regions such as the Alps are such beautiful regions to fly (I hope Orbx might even do this area as Region packs someday, much like the 'Rockies' Orbx Regions, but your video already showcases them in FTX Global et al as a place that already inspires wonderful flying experiences. ::) In fact all the great mountain ranges of th world would make the most amazing, atmospheric and awe-inspiringly scenic Regions someday. Anyway, thank you for the inspiring vid! You made me want to jump straight into the sim and experience some more of the 'Swiss wonderland'! I think I'll do that this afternoon. In fact, I must be sure to start my flight in Lugano...Looks fabulous!

Out of curiosity, are you using any Environmental and Weather add-ons such as REX4 and/or ASN in that video? Plus, is that water native P3D v2?

Cheers,

Sid

Thanks Sid,

In this video I setup my own custom weather.  I do have ASN, OpusFSX, and FSGRW ... have been using ASN frequently.  Yes, using REX 4 for textures.

I think a Switzerland region would be fantastic and I do hope Orbx produce one with all 4 seasons.

I did a similar flight but in the Twin Otter ... was testing out AffinityMask settings and AutoGen at altitude and how my smaller lights looked.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIX8tjrF75M

I've been doing a lot of simulated flying lately as I'm also going thru real world flight school for my PPL.  Finally got these memorized. 

Alpha

Bravo

Charlie

Delta

Echo

Foxtrot

Golf

Hotel

India

Juliet

Kilo

Lima

Mike

November 

Oscar

Papa

Quebec

Romeo

Sierra

Tango

Uniform

Victor

Whisky

X-ray

Yankee

Zulu

Cheers, Rob. 

Very nice Rob! I'm loving that Twotter myself too for some time now, especially when it comes to its versatility.

Thanks for the info regarding the environment/weather your using here...very much appreciated...I've just bought REX 4 HD myself to upgrade from REX 3 + Overdrive and need to install it now but am still deciding on which of those 3 weather packages to go for. Sounds like ASN is the one floating your boat at the moment.

Oh yes...Switzerland in 4 seasons would be simply beautiful...An Orbx alpine region like a 4 seasons Swiss would do very well indeed...I'd certainly spend a hell of a lot of time there....I already just love flying there in the sim and am surprised I have never visited it yet but I will most definitely have to correct that very soon indeed.

By the way, Congrats on getting those phonetics memorised! That's a very good start and is going to come in very handy in your real world flying ;) I wish you all the very best of luck and enjoyment in getting your PPL over there in the Golden State!

All the best Rob, and thanks again mate!  ::)

Sid

Thanks Sid!  Life's new adventure ... auto racing lasted me 14 years so hopefully flying will keep me interested just as long.  I have my wife test me on my aircraft training materials when we go on our long walks (from her iPad mini - technology these days) ... multi-tasking :)

Yes, using ASN Open Beta at the moment.

Cheers, Rob.

Random question but how big was the file size originally rob?! I did the same flight in xp10 but the file was 7gb in the end! I think the mbits were at 15000 or something though...

FRAPS uses a proprietary compression ... in fact I have to make sure FRAPS is loaded on the same PC I do the video editing from otherwise Adobe PP will not be able to work with the FRAPS output.  It's not usually a single file I record ... but combined files over one flight is usually around 100-130GB.  I'm using FRAPS to record at 2560 x 1600 @ 30 fps (locked).  For example when I start recording my approach (say a 10 minute segment) it will be about 37-40GB file size.  So when I'm working in Adobe PP I'll cut out as much as I can aiming for a 10-13 minute final video (out of an hour long or so flight) ... it's hard cause I want to show it all but I know that could get pretty boring for viewers.  So the cut files are probably closer to combine 40-50GB total, then they are compressed down to 1-2GB with a 16mbps target at 2560 x 1600 - 30 fps ... then YouTube does it's thing and chops that to 1440p, 1080p, 720p, etc. etc.

I'm trying to find a capture card that will allow me to do away with using FRAPS and I'll use a separate PC to record the video output ... should be easy right?  Well I've searched far and wide to find a capture card that can work with my resolution 2560 x 1600 and have not found a single one ... some high end ones will do 4K ($2000 for the capture card) but most will only do 1080 variants and that doesn't include getting all the inputs matched up (HDMI, DVI-D, etc.).

I'll test out Shadow Play when the drivers are officially released and see how that works but my hunch is that there is only so much CPU/GPU processing power regardless how it's used so the net effects will probably be similar.

I could always record at 1/2 size, as that put MUCH less stress on my system ... but who watches 720p these days ;)

Cheers, Rob.

Cheers, useful information. I was using the OBS package, because it's free, 64 bit and has a minimal CPU impact (in fact it's CPU impact is adjustable). Seems 7gb isn't that bad then!

I looped back at the end and landed back at samedan shortly after sunset - bloody terrifying. One thing though was that the v2 mesh compares very favourably with the pilots one. Xp10 stock building autogen not a patch on ftx global though (obviously)

Ps - do none of the blackmagic cards do what you need them to do?

Yes and no on the BlackMagic Designs cards ... it becomes a connector game then ... DVI-D to SDI then back out to DVI-D from SDI ... and I'm almost certain visual quality will be impacted along the way.

I'll check out OBS (assuming you mean this: http://obsproject.com/) - I'm a little weary of OpenSource/freeware -- about 50% of the time they contain a virus or malware (real, not false positives).  DXTory was a positive disaster running with P3DV2.x ... works for about 3 mintues then starts to introduce black frames every so often and it would often crash P3DV2.x on start.

Anyway, my search continues ... 

Cheers, Rob.

Archived