Real life ATC cont.

Ed Correia

Well, went for the ATC tests today. Shall we just say it was an interesting day.

First test involved basic numeracy and time skills, basically asking things such as how far a plane travelled if it went 280km/h for 45 minutes and questions with departure and arrival times. As you were doing these questions a voice on a tape recorder would interrupt you asking all sorts of other questions with the answers to be written down. So to start off, it wasn't too bad.

Next batch of test were a major pain in the arse. It was number and picture matching, but the damn thing went so quick it was not easy. The whole group there hated that one.

Third test was time estimation and more pattern matching. This test we actually got to see our results (but not if they were of a pass mark), but gave you a good indication as to how you were going. I was pretty happy with this as my scores were decent compared to others.

Last test took about 3 hours all up. A very basic ATC setup where you had to guide planes in to land and exit out of "gates". You had 4 practice tries before the real test, so I guess they were also seeing how well you hold up after practising for 2 hours and then attempting the real thing. I was happy with that result as well, with 97% of aircraft at their destinations in the time allowed, but I had one seperation error right in the beginning. Compared to others, I think I did OK on that one.

But overall, I don't know. Well get our results back in 2-3 weeks. I went terrible in that second test and the supervisor there said that to pass is very difficult. They had 18 testing yesterday and only 6 passed.

What's done is done. Did my best, now all I can do is wait. Thanks for reading.

Ed

I too went to be in ATC did the tests and failed, I hated that pattern match thing too I couldn't and still don't understand the relivance of it after all on a radar screen they all look the same don't they????

I really wanted to work in ATC and I thought that since I already was a pilot I stood a great chance....I was wrong.....Then I thought but I do ATC from time to time on Vatsim surley that will help.......Wrong again.....Oh well guess you really have to be above the average IQ for this job.

I agree that we have the highest standards and the best ATC in the world but sometimes people should be given the chance to see if they can make a great ATC controller and forget the stupid pattern thing, just train them and unless they are complete brain dead idiots they will understand very well.

Training is what it should be about. You can train a monkey but he can't think very well....Hmmm I wonder if a chimp might get the pattern thingy?????

:)

Colin

I hope you did well mate but don't be discouraged if you don't make the cut. ATC standards in Australia are some of the highest in the world I believe.

Seconded.  And those extraordinary standards, and the remarkable skills of the controllers, would be even more valuable if ASA management had to sit some kind of competence test as well. 

Reminds me of the RAAF nav tests. We did a bunch of similar tests then at the end of each one a number of people were called out and lead away never to be seen again (kind of like survivor). We started with about forty and ended with ten.....then on to stage two.

I hope you did well mate but don't be discouraged if you don't make the cut. ATC standards in Australia are some of the highest in the world I believe.

I agree. ATC is bloody hard stuff. No shame either way.

As a back door entry you may consider the RAAF. Not sure what the age requirements are for ATC though, but I think you are OK. Once your ROSO is over, ditch 'em and go civillian.

• 2 months later...

I thought I would update this post with my progress. I arranged a visit to Melbourne Centre and went there last week in preperation of my interview. Was there for about 2 hours and had the opportunity to chat to different controllers handling different sectors. The people there were so great, plugged in listening to all the communications and asking questions in between. It was a great chance to check it all out. I just hope I didn't get in the way.

Well, went for my interview this morning. A little bit nervous, but that's to be expected. Lots of workplace scenario questions. Bit tricky at first, but it wasn't so bad towards the end. I will find out in 4 weeks if I'm successful. If so, training begins in October.

Fingers crossed.

Ed

Good luck with it Ed!

My instructor is trying to organise a trip over to the tower here at YCSB for myself and Extra260, just so we can see what it looks like from the other side of the radio. I'm looking forward to it. It should be interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

Real sorry to hear that Ed,

Chin up mate, it must be like having to go through the proverbial eye of the needle. So you've done exceptionally well to get this far this time. If you really want it perseverance is certainly to your advantage.

Cheers

Butch

Hard luck Ed, but you'll be wiser, and better prepared for you next tilt at it, and judging by the distance you got this time, you'll be a shoe-in mate.

Cheers

Thanks for the encouragement. You get two cracks at it so I've got nothing to lose.

Feedback from the interview was that I didn't have enough depth in my replies regarding skills & experience. I've emailed Airservices (which they invite you to do -no sour grapes here), asking more specific feedback. Next time I know what to expect & what they expect from me. Provided I pass those tests again.

Like I said nothing to lose. :)

Archived