At a loss with elevations

rockliffe

I'm just on a trip from KORS to my newly acquired 11s and on the trip I decided to drop into Jefferson and Diamond Point, both had elevation issues. After stopping the sim and entering the two airports into Vector's airport elevation tool, and then starting the fight again, I was rather surprised to find that neither had the correct elevations after initiating the process. So at the moment, I have three payware airports that are unable to be flown due to elevation errors. I understand the forthcoming Vector update will have, by default, all the airports set with correct airport elevations but as the tool does not correct these two airports, what will change with the update? Thanks...

I would really like to get Vector to replace my UTX addons but it seems that Global Vector causes more trouble that its worth, especially if it starts messing up full regions and add on airports too.

Hmmm..I went for a flight to check it out and found no issues at KORS, OS9 (Jefferson), 2WA1 (Diamond Point), or 11S, although non of these are added payware, I am using FTX Global, Vector1.1, FTX PNW, and FSGlobal2010FTX mesh.

OS9 Jefferson

PYwaZ.png
R4njf.png

2WA1 Diamond Point

NVBDJ.png
9eZK1.png

I would really like to get Vector to replace my UTX addons but it seems that Global Vector causes more trouble that its worth, especially if it starts messing up full regions and add on airports too.

Hi Glenn, sure, I've come across lots of airports that all need to be corrected, in most cases the elevation tool has sorted things out, but to also find payware airports with issues is a bit of a drag, and i hope it will be resolved soon. I'm hoping the forthcoming Vector update will at last sort out all these issues, and I'm sure it will.

although non of these are added payware,

I suspect that's the difference Doug...

I suspect that's the difference Doug...

That's bizarre eh?! Lol :)  I don't have any payware airports in PNW, but the two I do have in PFJ have no elevation issues, and any other minor elevation issues I have had are outside of any ORBX Regions and have been rectified with Vectors AEC tool.

Sure, I know. I was as surprised as the next person to find issues with two payware airports. Having said that, I also have Charles de Gaulle that is useless! I hope we don't have to wait too long for this update as CDG is one of my fave big airports.

SORTED! Apologies guys, I have found the issue, me being a dipstick! For some very odd reason, which remains a mystery, I had completely knackered my entire scenery library during an update yesterday. I was also flying from the two airports in question with FTX central set to default :banghead: This morning I've just done a complete reinstall from a  week old backup and so everything is now fine, phew!  :D

Howard,

Great that you could sorted out the mess a library can do. But I was carefully following your post as I have problems like you had - airports not fixed after AEC applied, mainly in OrbX regions - and no matter which FTX Central region I use, the problems remain. Doogles knows about some of these problems (KSEA).

How did your library got knackered (sic)? You've manually moved the entries up and down for whatever reason?

I have in my FTX Central two regions: Global and NAmerica - What do you mean for "Default"? I fly all the time with Global in Hybrid Mode and all the OrbX payware airports are shown complete and pretty good (people moving, birds singing, etc).

I had an issue with KORS, before installing the payware airport. There was a big trench in the middle of the field. After installing the payware, KORS is fine now.

The only exceptions for me are Hoquiam (OrbX freeware) and Seattle (default FSX). Hoquiam presents a runway transparent in some places, trenches, but I can use it. Seatlle Intl is impossible to use because is completely messed - cliffs, trenches and three floors of objects above ground.

Yes, there are a lot of flavors of vectoring problems, because AEC solves an issue for some but not for all.

Thanks and regards,

Howard,

Great that you could sorted out the mess a library can do. But I was carefully following your post as I have problems like you had - airports not fixed after AEC applied, mainly in OrbX regions - and no matter which FTX Central region I use, the problems remain. Doogles knows about some of these problems (KSEA).

How did your library got knackered (sic)? You've manually moved the entries up and down for whatever reason?

I have in my FTX Central two regions: Global and NAmerica - What do you mean for "Default"? I fly all the time with Global in Hybrid Mode and all the OrbX payware airports are shown complete and pretty good (people moving, birds singing, etc).

I had an issue with KORS, before installing the payware airport. There was a big trench in the middle of the field. After installing the payware, KORS is fine now.

The only exceptions for me are Hoquiam (OrbX freeware) and Seattle (default FSX). Hoquiam presents a runway transparent in some places, trenches, but I can use it. Seatlle Intl is impossible to use because is completely messed - cliffs, trenches and three floors of objects above ground.

Yes, there are a lot of flavors of vectoring problems, because AEC solves an issue for some but not for all.

Thanks and regards,

Hi Heron, unsure what I actually did yesterday, but it was during the installation of the three latest updates for PNW, CRM and PFJ. I then followed it with the latest libs update, prior to which I had installed Sekiu. I know it was finger trouble on my part, nothing to do with the products. I think I was a little less than my usual cautious self. Maybe I had FTX central set wrongly when installing the patches, I think that may have been the issue. Anyway, sorted now.

As for my 'default' description, sorry, I meant to say Global! Yes, it's no secret that Vector has played havoc with many airport elevations, even with the recommended mesh installed. However, JV has indicated that the issue will be resolved in the next Vector update. l suspect, like many, I'd be interested to have a rough idea as to when that might be.

SORTED! Apologies guys, I have found the issue, me being a dipstick! For some very odd reason, which remains a mystery, I had completely knackered my entire scenery library during an update yesterday. I was also flying from the two airports in question with FTX central set to default :banghead: This morning I've just done a complete reinstall from a  week old backup and so everything is now fine, phew!  :D

Hi Howard, just curious as to how you do your backup and restore. Are you talking about several hundred Gb and how long does this take. For me I look on a re-install as taking a week for the basics and even after a month I would be still configuring.

Hi Howard, just curious as to how you do your backup and restore. Are you talking about several hundred Gb and how long does this take. For me I look on a re-install as taking a week for the basics and even after a month I would be still configuring.

Hi Anton, sure, I do a full mirror backup using Acronis every month. This copies both my FSX drive and my main Win C drive. In total it's about 360gb and is copied across to an external Samsung 1Tb USB drive. To run the backup at any point, which I have done several times, it takes a couple of hours, I'm then ready to go!

Hi Antonovs,

I do almost the same as Rockliffe: I use Acronis to clone my C: drive. Usually takes 1h10, more or less.

A 2TB HD with 0.99 TB with applications and data is cloned, three flight simulators and graphic applications and text.

Do cloning when major changes are made and the system is stable. ;) 

Cheers,

Just to add my two cents in...I also use  Acronis and can confirm that is a brilliant piece of software. I keep a backup image of my two SSD's at a complete build stage (Win7, FSX) without all my addon scenery and aircraft, but with my peripheral's settings (Yoke, Throttles, VRinsight, Thrustmaster) in place, that I can restore to, or incase I want to do something different down the road. I also keep a cloned set of velociraptor drives with full scenery/aircraft installed, that I can pull the side cover of my rig and plug in at any time to run or re-clone my SSD's.

Moral of the story...Acronis  does work great :)

....I also have Charles de Gaulle that is useless!

@Rockliffe, I managed to get LFPG working if you're interested. Leave all Vector files active in AEC. Go into the LFPG scenery folder and remove/rename the five flattening .bgl files. Restart and go! Worked for me, hope this helps. Cheers!

Easy

@Rockliffe, I managed to get LFPG working if you're interested. Leave all Vector files active in AEC. Go into the LFPG scenery folder and remove/rename the five flattening .bgl files. Restart and go! Worked for me, hope this helps. Cheers!

Easy

Ah, thanks matey. But what are the names of the five flattening files?

Another really useful tool I use, if you don't already have it, is Airport Scanner. Install, run, hit scan (may take a bit of you have a lot of airports) then choose the airport in question and it will show if you have any duplicate AFCAD, ADEX or elevation bgl's. Usually you can remove or rename the stock elevation bgl and it fixes the issue without having to disable on Vector.

Easy

Another really useful tool I use, if you don't already have it, is Airport Scanner. Install, run, hit scan (may take a bit of you have a lot of airports) then choose the airport in question and it will show if you have any duplicate AFCAD, ADEX or elevation bgl's. Usually you can remove or rename the stock elevation bgl and it fixes the issue without having to disable on Vector.

Easy

Excellent, top man! Thanks...

Archived