Performance Gain (De)activating DLL.xml Entries?

RJ

To conserve loading times, memory, etc., I only activate scenery areas in SCENERY.CFG in which I'll be flying. For that I use SceneryConfigEditor.

So, for example, when I fly OrbX EU England only the region (not Wales, NIR or Scotland) and some airports belonging to this area will be activated.

For the same reason, would I gain performance if I deactivated DLL entries in DLL.xml?

If so, is there a program like SceneryConfigEditor to do that?

Any DLL loaded will take a certain amount of CPU cycles and memory (VAS). I experimented with removing DLL's I don't need but the gain was too small to bother.

If you have a particularly "heavy" DLL, removing it might help you free up some VAS. I know AccuFeel needs a lot of VAS for the sounds and simulations, but I use it on every flight so no point in disabling it :)

Any DLL loaded will take a certain amount of CPU cycles and memory (VAS).

DLLs are just libraries of executable code that don't run unless they're invoked by something else. Even if FSX pre-loads them they will be swapped out again when something else needs the memory. Hence I would expect no impact at all, except maybe a slightly faster startup.

If you disable an ObjectFlow module for an airport outside of the area you are flying it is doubtful you'd see a performance gain. The scenery objects controlled by the module will only be loaded if you are flying near them, so if you disable ObjectFlow modules for airports in North America while flying in England, the objects would not have been loaded anyway. If you disable modules for airports in England you will be missing objects from those airports so there will be a performance benefit, but in the same way that your car will go faster if you take out all the seats :)

If you disable an ObjectFlow module for an airport outside of the area you are flying it is doubtful you'd see a performance gain. The scenery objects controlled by the module will only be loaded if you are flying near them, so if you disable ObjectFlow modules for airports in North America while flying in England, the objects would not have been loaded anyway. If you disable modules for airports in England you will be missing objects from those airports so there will be a performance benefit, but in the same way that your car will go faster if you take out all the seats :)

Case closed! :)

Thank you all! :)

Archived