Real Orbx Airport Visit

zazaboeing

Hello guys!

I came all the way from Brazil to Boeing in Seattle, and with a few days left here, I would like any recommendation on what small airport (specially those made by ORBX) I could visit.

Spotting places, tower access, sightseeing spots, maybe even local flights and mainly, local HOSPITALITY to general aviation lovers, with real pilot licence , are a must.

Has anyone here visited Orcas Island? There's a great wish on meeting that place!

What would you recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Rafael

I might be biased, but I say you should go check out 0S9 Jefferson County in Port Townsend!  You can have a delicious lunch at the Spruce Goose Cafe, polish it off with some fresh-baked pie, all the while watching a variety of cool planes come and go.  There's also a great little aviation museum run by local school kids.  It's a favorite destination airport for pilots around the Pacific Northwest for good reason, that's why I chose to make it for my first ORBX scenery.  It's also a beautiful drive too; you would take the ferry from either Seattle or Edmonds to the Kitsap peninsula, drive over the Hood Canal bridge, then go north on Hwy 19 til you get to the airport.

If you're willing to spend a bit of money and the weather is good, for the ultimate experience you can hire a plane and instructor from one of the Seattle-area airports and make a loop, doing touch-and goes at some of the other ORBX airports too!  A great route would be 0S9 Jeff Co - KORS Orcas - 74S Anacortes - S43 Harvey Field - overfly 1WA6 Fall City (and see the falls!) and back to your point of origin.  If you decide to do this, I would recommend ProFlight at KRNT, they're a great bunch of people and have good prices.  I used to flight instruct there; tell 'em Scott sent you :)

Hi zaza,

I'm from Lynnwood, just up the road from Boeing Field (15 mi) .  Depending on your time available there are a number of airports to visit.  If you have access to a rental car you could visit Darrington, Concrete or Skagit Regional airports all done as ORBX payware and within a couple hours drive.   Orcas island you can get to by ferry (or Kenmore air) but you would need transportation once you are there.  If you don't have loads of time I agree with the Museum of Flight (right there at Boeing Field) or a tour of the Everett Boeing plant which also has close by at Paine Field a WWII museum.

Contact me directly via the "messenger" icon at the top of this forum page if you want more info.

Cheers, Neil

Go visit krdd redding in California, I bet the views are breath taking up in the mountains, and its a new orbx airport, if I win a screenshot contest that's first on my list. California is probably the most beautiful part of the u.s anyway in the rockies, enjoy the rest of your trip.I have been to 46 states including California but not by plane. When I use to deliver freight .

California is probably the most beautiful part of the u.s anyway in the rockies, enjoy the rest of your trip

???

You are joking, right? Or just drunk?

Thanks for all the answers guys!! Im at Paine Field now and completed all Boeing tours. Now for the small airfields!

Wait, Rafael, I got it!

You need to go see Falls City, WA. If you need to visit an ORBX airport, then it is 1WA6 and it is just a couple miles from Snoqualmie Falls, which you really have to see anyway. When I lived there in the area, I would always take visitors from out of town to that place.

Guys, thanks again for all the replies, I've had a WONDERFUL afternoon with the guys in Harvey, and it was great remembering the old days flying the 172. How I miss flying small planes in small airfields, maybe that's why I love Orbxs representations so much!

Here are some pics of what we did, and you gotta guess where it was!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've already talked to the guys there, and they highly recommended me Friday Harbour for a day flying. I'll do that next time for sure!! Right now I'm at the old Meigs Fields site. So sad to see what it has become.

See ya!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

???

You need to go see Falls City, WA. If you need to visit an ORBX airport, then it is 1WA6 and it is just a couple miles from Snoqualmie anyway. which you really have to see anyway. When I lived there in the area, I would always take visitors from out of town to that place.

Rip, we were told not to touch-and-go in 1WA6 since it's a private field, that was indeed my initial idea! I choosed to make the TGL at KBFI then...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Great pics! Were you able to rent an aircraft with an instructor for a day from Harvey? I wish to do something similar once I go up to the Pacific Northwest in 2016, and fly around the whole area and visit all the airports.

Yes Misha, as a certified pilot they had special rates for me and the guys over there are GREAT, I highly recommend. Look for Rich in the Snohomish Flying Service. Great flights!

Rafael

Nice, by then I will also have my private pilot's licence so hopefully that will apply to me as well.

Which airports did you go to? I guess with private strips such as 1WA6 you could always call the manager to get permission to land there.

Rafael, I really like all these shots, thanks for sharing.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/22/pymepaju.jpg

In particular I noticed that shot of Boeing Field -- you can see the UPS cargo plane parked there. I used to work there in college, unloading that UPS jet at 4 AM, and then reloading the small feeder planes, caravans and such.

It looks like the weather was very good for your visit, particularly this time of year.

Cheers

Nice, by then I will also have my private pilot's licence so hopefully that will apply to me as well.

Which airports did you go to? I guess with private strips such as 1WA6 you could always call the manager to get permission to land there.

Yes, its 1wa6, a veeery small runway indeed, we performed a touch and go there, overflew Fall City, TGL @ KBFI, Seattle city, Space Needle overfly and back to Harvey.

Rafael, I really like all these shots, thanks for sharing.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/22/pymepaju.jpgIn particular I noticed that shot of Boeing Field -- you can see the UPS cargo plane parked there. I used to work there in college, unloading that UPS jet at 4 AM, and then reloading the small feeder planes, caravans and such.It looks like the weather was very good for your visit, particularly this time of year.Cheers

Nice Ripcord! There were a lot of 787s activities that day also, and turned out weather helped a lot, not like it was forecasted. Lucky me!

Best Regards,

Rafael

Archived