What Does ORBX Looke Like On Your TV?

boleyd

One way to quickly see ORBX in action, or any simulator addons on your TV, is through Chromecast. 

Start flying and turn on the Auto-Pilot.

Start Chrome browser. There is a Chromecast button in the top right. Read up on how to get that too work - really simple.

When you click on the Chromecast APP the resulting menu will have a symbol in the top right corner. Click on it and follow the instructions. This will send your live PC screen to any TV equipped with a Chromecast device ($35). Don't expect smooth performance. However, the picture quality is very good (HD). If you run the simulator at full screen you see pretty much what you would see if the TV was on an HDMI cable from from your video card.

If you wanted to you could grab a joystick and a laptop an "cast" from it while you fly in a normal fashion. Performance is dependent on the power of the PC and the quality of your WiFi.

Look on the web for Chromcast ifo. Many virtual and real stores carre the little Chromecast device at $35.00US.

As John suggests  ;plugin a HDMI cable BUT most TV;s are pathetic resolution compared to a Hi Res Monitor, BUT why most TV's are NOT TV's but HD Monitors with Television decoding or Composite video input from other devices..

My PC is located on a different floor so I was quite happy to be able to "cast" to the TV. It was a simple test that showed me that my 42" unit looked quite good. Yes, the pixel density is not the same as one of the new "ultra" TVs or monitors but it told me that a used (craig's list) TV just may be a nice alternative to a 24" ancient LCD monitor. I will try TeamViewer to see if I can control P3DV2 remotely. Before the comments arrive, it would only be to maneuver the aircraft to see if a TV really looks "OK".

Chromcast ($35US) "casts" (sends) the desktop of a PC running the Chrome browser to any TV  equipped with the device AND on your WiFi network. This is NOT perfect. There are stutters. The PC screen is smooth but the TV has stutters probably due to the processing power in the Chromecase device (beta) or the WiFi wireless network. Also, that fancy new router will do little good if there are many other WiFis in "radio" range of yours. You can get a cellphone app to see other WiFi's and which of the 14 channels they occupy. The router may then be set to use an unoccupied channel or one with the weakest signals. Otherwise you may suffer a loss of speed.

I did it to evaluate the visual appearance and not the functional capabilities of using a TV. I did discover that I needed to slightly turn down the TV's sharpness to actually provide a clearer and quite acceptable picture. 

I might mention that I have turned off my cable TV (nice savings) and now use the Internet. The primary device is a Roku box and over-the-air for local TV. Downton Abby still looks as grand as it did on the +$100/month cable service. I do continue to use them for my 25megabit Internet service since no other choice with a monopoly in place.

My mother in law just introduced me to Chromecast the other day.  Nifty little cheap app for throwing up your screen on a full size TV.  I use it to show the wife what I am working on when she asks from downstairs or I'll ask her opinion on a photo I took and am editing in lightroom.

Archived