I did a dumb thing !

Tassie

Hope someone has a suggestion for me, I did a dumb thing. I tried to boot up my computer on Friday but I kept getting a message that the Bootmanager was missing. I thought, easy I'll just reboot from my Backup disc ( Acronis ). What I didn't realise was that I had only backed up my C drive. Now I cannot access the second internal drive, it does not show in My Computer, ( guess where all my flight sim files are ).

I have tried a Windows repair install but to no avail, please someone " help ", I really don't want to wipe everything and start again.

Any advice greatly appreciated.  :banghead:

Cheers, Rick  

Hi Rick,

Can you go to the Disk Manager and check if the drive is recognized there (right click My Computer, select Manage, Disk Manager should be under Storage or similar, I'm using a non-English version of W7)?

Maybe it just has no drive letter assigned to it. At any rate, it should be salvageable ;-)

Tym

Hi Rick,

Can you go to the Disk Manager and check if the drive is recognized there (right click My Computer, select Manage, Disk Manager should be under Storage or similar, I'm using a non-English version of W7)?

Maybe it just has no drive letter assigned to it. At any rate, it should be salvageable ;-)

Tym

Hi Tym,

No sign of it there I'm afraid.

Thanks for trying, Rick

Hi again,

That's strange... Even if the data somehow got wiped out, the drive itself should still be visible -- as long as it is working/connected. So, this only leaves one explanation: a hardware failure (or faulty connection). Can you check if the drive is visible in BIOS, and if not, check the cable connections inside your PC? It's likely that the boot failure was caused by this in the first place...

Tym

It will be the boot drive sequence in the BIOS.

I had this problem and found the boot drive somehow had been changed to a non windows system drive. When I changed the order it booted straight away. 

But that's not the problem Rick has now!

@Rick

What do you see with the disk management of your Windows? Right click "computer", click "manage", "storage", "disk management". Do you see your drives and partitions? Is this missing D(?) drive a second real disk or a partition of your C drive? You didn't see this drive in the process of Windows repair?

Spirit

Rick, this is usually pretty easy to fix, my PC does it from time to time as well.

All I do to fix the problem after I get the BOOTMGR IS MISSING message is to cold boot the computer (switch the computer off for 1-2 minutes) and then start it.  On startup I open the BIOS menu (DEL key on my PC, F2 on some others) and go to the Boot menu.  There you'll find a Boot Drive priority menu, open that and select your OS drive, exit out of the menu and Save & Exit from the BIOS.  On reboot, the PC should boot right through to Windows.

As an aside, what motherboard do you have?  I've only had this problem on ASRock mobo's.  PM me if you need more help mate.

Cheers,

Derek

But that's not the problem Rick has now!

@Rick

What do you see with the disk management of your Windows? Right click "computer", click "manage", "storage", "disk management". Do you see your drives and partitions? Is this missing D(?) drive a second real disk or a partition of your C drive? You didn't see this drive in the process of Windows repair?

Spirit

Hi Spirit,

the second internal drive does not show there, since I have done a repair install to Windows it boots up OK, just the d drive is not recognised. I also have an external drive connected via USB. No problem there. Might be time for a trip to the local PC Doctor.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Cheers, Rick

What system set up is this residing in ?  What your describing sounds very like you have an MBR failure and quite possibly the Drive is also not "active" hence the Boot Loader Missing. 
Is this in a RAID configuration etc

"What I didn't realise was that I had only backed up my C drive."

WHY would your Akronis image be an issue? , you ONLY need to back up your "C:/" as it has the keys to everything else which is why I keep telling people to run multiple drives and only have a small drive for the Boot and OS  as it makes it so much easier to rectify issues. 

Let me know please. 

What system set up is this residing in ?  What your describing sounds very like you have an MBR failure and quite possibly the Drive is also not "active" hence the Boot Loader Missing. 

Is this in a RAID configuration etc

WHY would your Akronis image be an issue? , you ONLY need to back up your "C:/" as it has the keys to everything else which is why I keep telling people to run multiple drives and only have a small drive for the Boot and OS  as it makes it so much easier to rectify issues. 

Let me know please. 

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your advice and suggestions, unfortunatly this is a bit beyond my PC ability. I will get someone a bit more trained to have a look for me.

I will let you know the outcome.

Cheers, Rick

Tassie, what version of windows are you running?

If it's 7 you just go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore and create a repair disk, burn it, reboot with the CD/DVD boot option in your bios and once this will load you just need to select Startup Repair...your best option is to select to repair the master boot record.

Tassie, what version of windows are you running?

If it's 7 you just go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore and create a repair disk, burn it, reboot with the CD/DVD boot option in your bios and once this will load you just need to select Startup Repair...your best option is to select to repair the master boot record.

Thanks for the suggestion Jean-Francois, I will give that a try ASAP.

Cheers, Rick

Archived