Mesh - Clarification

Stefan...

Probelm is that even in the FTX Global Vector User guide it isn´t clear hat a 3rd party mesh is required.

Quote:

Vector does not include any terrain mesh files. Mesh is used to provide the definition of mountains and
undulating terrain so the smaller the distance between each mesh point (the resolution), the better defined
these features look in the simulator. We recommend you check the compatibility forum in the link above or
the FTX forums to research what the best terrain mesh product is for Vector.
Orbx has also partnered with PILOT’s who have released a download version of their worldwide FSGlobal2010
Mesh product, called the “FTX Editionâ€. This is the mesh product Orbx beta testers used when testing Vector

and although it is not required or mandatory, it’s a quick solution to provide a worldwide mesh which you can
purchase and download from the flightsimstore.com – this is a ~24GB download though so be aware that’s a
lot of data!
Vector also works perfectly fine with FSGenesis and a myriad of other freeware meshes available. The most
important thing to remember is that Vector corrects all airport elevations to their real-world elevations. This
means if the mesh you are using is not accurate, you may see plateaus or trenches at airports. The best way to
solve this issue is to invest in a global mesh product that provides the most accuracy.

So while it might be obvious for those who developes Vector files, this is by far not obvious for the normal Flight simmer who simply wants to see his flightsim be enhanced.

I bought Vector too without using any 3rd party mesh and I´m also a seasoned flightsimmer. No where did it itell that a 3rd party mes was required, so I thought that Vector was made for Default FSX + FTX Global Base.

It seems we are a lot of customers who got that wrong, so somehwere communication must have failed.

Right now I have a 62,- AUS$ installer that I don´t dare to use, cause I don´t want to wreck my allready complex FSX install (tons of Orbx airports, regions, other addon airporst, aircraft etc..)

FJ

Hello again!

While browsing through the answers to my post I see, there still are open points, which need clarification.

First of all thank you for all your answers and expecially to those, who support us.

Some though still do not seem to understand: You can only make a Vector product carrying contents like ours

for one defined altitude model (mesh). You can not have such a single Vector product work with two meshes.

So we had a choice of supporting FSX default mesh *OR* another 3D model.

Of course it is no option to support a mesh, which will render like this

FSX-default.jpg

versus one, which renders like that.

srtm.jpg

I again emphasize: Vector supports ALL SRTM meshes. There is no exception. FS Genesis, even freeware, as

there are many around.

What people who deny this mix up, is the fact, that not yet all airport elevations have been corrected. This leaves

some in a bathtub and some being an aircraft carrier. These are bugs and will be addressed.

With V1.10 *all* relevant airport elevations will be corrected to a value which makes sense. Remember, we still have a flat

airport concept to cope with! So, on a non flat surface, an airport using this concept will always generate hills

or walls at its edges, depending on the values the topography differes.

I am accused of not having told ORBX C.E.O. about the fact Vector is based on SRTM. I can assure you, this was a

joint descision. In fact the only one which makes sense. Basing Vector on FSX default mesh would have been no developement.

And w/o developement we would still climb trees.

Someone does not understand, why we would use FSG 2010 versus Ultimate as base. Well, I can tell you, the shape

of the earth is the same. These two products differ in resolution. Especially if you wish to have sharp ridges

in the mountains you should go for Ultimate. You can at any time swap between these meshes. Or even freeware.

And there was the cost factor: 18DVDs (Ultimate; bundleprice EUR 120,--) vs download (FSG2010; price EUR 59,--).

We wanted to have an economically priced alternative for those, who do not own a mesh scenery yet.

If more people are interested, we would also consider to offer the Ultimate Series as a download.

And yes, maybe we develope further and release a new version this year or next year or whenever.

Stefan Schaefer

PILOT'S GesmbH

C.E.O.

Thank you. Finally a clear and understandable answer. I guess the DVD versions of Ultimate aren't ready to be installed with P3D V2? If so, i would like to know if there will be a new version on DVD, like for 2010. Otherwise, a download option would help. And it probably would had helped to avoid a lot of issues and angry customers, if this information would have been given out before release. I don't have a problem to spend money for a product like Ultimate. But i want to be sure, that i don't have to downgrade afterwards, because of issues i couldn't know.

Kattz, me old mate, what you say is right and we no doubt all agree, Vector will work better with a good Mesh. The issue here is that Vector has been sold with no indication that it is mandatory to have a third party mesh, if you want things to look correct.

Perhaps at this point it might be beneficial if Orbx were to post the Vector owners manual for download so prospective purchasers can read it in advance and understand what to expect.

Perhaps at this point it might be beneficial if Orbx were to post the Vector owners manual for download so prospective purchasers can read it in advance and understand what to expect.

Not only in some manual but somewhere plain to see before buying the product. Keep in mind, that not every potential customer would read a manual before buying the product.

That´s just not the way things work.

Hello again!

While browsing through the answers to my post I see, there still are open points, which need clarification.

First of all thank you for all your answers and expecially to those, who support us.

Some though still do not seem to understand: You can only make a Vector product carrying contents like ours

for one defined altitude model (mesh). You can not have such a single Vector product work with two meshes.

So we had a choice of supporting FSX default mesh *OR* another 3D model.

Of course it is no option to support a mesh, which will render like this

FSX-default.jpg

versus one, which renders like that.

srtm.jpg

I again emphasize: Vector supports ALL SRTM meshes. There is no exception. FS Genesis, even freeware, as

there are many around.

What people who deny this mix up, is the fact, that not yet all airport elevations have been corrected. This leaves

some in a bathtub and some being an aircraft carrier. These are bugs and will be addressed.

With V1.10 *all* relevant airport elevations will be corrected to a value which makes sense. Remember, we still have a flat

airport concept to cope with! So, on a non flat surface, an airport using this concept will always generate hills

or walls at its edges, depending on the values the topography differes.

I am accused of not having told ORBX C.E.O. about the fact Vector is based on SRTM. I can assure you, this was a

joint descision. In fact the only one which makes sense. Basing Vector on FSX default mesh would have been no developement.

And w/o developement we would still climb trees.

Someone does not understand, why we would use FSG 2010 versus Ultimate as base. Well, I can tell you, the shape

of the earth is the same. These two products differ in resolution. Especially if you wish to have sharp ridges

in the mountains you should go for Ultimate. You can at any time swap between these meshes. Or even freeware.

And there was the cost factor: 18DVDs (Ultimate; bundleprice EUR 120,--) vs download (FSG2010; price EUR 59,--).

We wanted to have an economically priced alternative for those, who do not own a mesh scenery yet.

If more people are interested, we would also consider to offer the Ultimate Series as a download.

And yes, maybe we develope further and release a new version this year or next year or whenever.

Stefan Schaefer

PILOT'S GesmbH

C.E.O.

Stefan, it´s not about the fact that you guys chose this product to be based on this mesh. It´s about not telling the community about this in a clear manner/way before buying the product, having those of us who don´t have a mesh product end up with worse quality in our sim after having the product installed. So that is why some of us are disappointed/upset.

It's been there availble to download from the product page since day one : http://fullterrain.com/product_ftxgvector.html

And in a pinned topic on the FTX Global VECTOR support forum: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/70449-download-the-vector-user-guide-here/

Not sure if we need to make it more available and obvious than that?

As for all the "noise" on various forums including AVSIM, ADX and here, I can count about 12-24 people who are bleating the loudest, many of them who don't have the product, and most of which don't have a third party mesh installed. I mean, FFS, why would you consider yourself taking your FS hobby seriously if you have not invested in a decent SRTM based mesh.? And please, all the cries of "forcing me to buy an *expensive* mesh"?? Seriously? You guys likely spend about $1,000-$3000 per year on FS products each year and you bemoan the need to invest in what is a fundamental, critical part of the FS experience? Perhaps you have been too spoilt by the FTX regions which provide everything you need out of the box?

Finally, there has been no deception, no ambiguity and no "business above all" tactics. PILOT'S came to me with a proposal for a global vector product and we have spent the best part of four months on top of their two years work, honing it and making it market-ready with a clear promise of perpetual improvements.

Now we have bush lawyers ranting about OSM usage terms, how we are extorting customers by daring to charge for VECTOR (please, go make your own global vector product in your own time, be our guests), how we are misleading our customers - when the opposite is true. Have we not spent the better part of four months educating you all about the layers we deem necessary for a total solution? Did you not all download the Iceland demo where we made it clear mesh was part of the overall product strategy and a necessary part of the layers? Have we not shown preview screenshots which showed the extra layers added (including FSGlobal2010 mesh!!!!!) - go back and check please, in case you have short memories.

Please explain where we have been misleading in any step of the way, for crying out loud!

To those few dozen people who are camped on forums all day instead of flying in the sim - you are a loud, noisy minority. VECTOR is selling better than any addon we've released so far in the past six months and I can assure you 99.9% of those buyers aren't wasting their time and our bitching and moaning on forums about the "expense" of having to purchase a measly mesh product, when they have likely gladly devoured every new aircraft and airport addon from every established developer during the holiday period.

Please give us all a break and stop with this nonsense, we're tiring of it.

And that, if you will, is customer relations 101. You get no BS from me and I don't put up with yours either.

Good night.

Archived