Vector at lowest priority?

earnorbust

I don't really understand all the talk here about the priority levels of ORBX!OPENLC files, Landclass files and the new FTXGlobalVector files.

I installed FTXGlobalVector and found it installed itself in the scenery library below (lower priority) the FTXGlobal Base files and below my SceneryTech Landclass files and even behind my FS Global ultimate mesh files??

I thought the Vector-files had to have the highest priority - above all the other files!? :wacko:

Could someone please explain this contradiction?

Robert

This is from page 13 of the Owners Manual:

VECTOR Scenery Library Entries

Vector installs automatically into your scenery library and is contained in the following folders inside the ORBX

folder in your simulator’s root directory:

FTX_VECTOR\SCENERY

FTX_VECTOR_AEC\SCENERY

What is very important to note is that the Vector installer places those entries at very specific locations in your

Scenery Library and locks them in. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE THEM UP OR DOWN IN THE SCENERY LIBRARY.

Doing so may lead to unexpected results, particularly with airport elevations and also suppressing other

scenery addons with the excludes contained within Vector. The bottom line is that you should let the installer

manage the Scenery Library entries and don’t try to edit their locations.

Rick

This is from page 13 of the Owners Manual:

VECTOR Scenery Library Entries

Vector installs automatically into your scenery library and is contained in the following folders inside the ORBX

folder in your simulator’s root directory:

FTX_VECTOR\SCENERY

FTX_VECTOR_AEC\SCENERY

What is very important to note is that the Vector installer places those entries at very specific locations in your

Scenery Library and locks them in. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE THEM UP OR DOWN IN THE SCENERY LIBRARY.

Doing so may lead to unexpected results, particularly with airport elevations and also suppressing other

scenery addons with the excludes contained within Vector. The bottom line is that you should let the installer

manage the Scenery Library entries and don’t try to edit their locations.

Rick

Robert's Concern is genuine and makes sense.

At the very same user guide you are quoting from at the beginning of the guide it also states that the Vector is at higher layer then the Landclass (look at the terrain sandwich images).

so how come the Vector was placed lower then the LC?

You just quoted what the user manual tells us what "not to do", but you did not explain to him why it is layered that way as the logic claims it should be layered otherwise,

the same reason why Robert opened this support thread (could be a bug as far as we know).

that's the question he expects to get an answer for.

Looking for clarification on this issue too...seems odd where the installer has placed the 2 vector entries in the library order:

The ORBX!Vector - just above the bases and underneath all the mesh etc etc.

x8it.jpg

And the /Vector_AEC right at the bottom

a2ts.jpg

Just doesn't seem logical given the traditional fundamental rules of setting up the scenery library so the various elements are all in their correct hierachy !?!?!

Here one more who likes to know, what ORBX/Pilots is "cheating" here.

It is needful to know about the "why". There was enough trouble with FTX EU because ORBX is going a special way, and now there is a new issue that throws all well known structures overboard...

I don't really understand all the talk here about the priority levels of ORBX!OPENLC files, Landclass files and the new FTXGlobalVector files.

I installed FTXGlobalVector and found it installed itself in the scenery library below (lower priority) the FTXGlobal Base files and below my SceneryTech Landclass files and even behind my FS Global ultimate mesh files??

I thought the Vector-files had to have the highest priority - above all the other files!? :wacko:

Could someone please explain this contradiction?

Robert

Hi Robert,

The entry at the bottom of the library are new airport elevation files. Those don't need to be adjusted. The entry higher up is for Vector itself so that it is given a higher priority than the default terrain data.

Regards,

Alex

Hey Alex

Nobody here is talking about the default terrain data. We are talking about FTX Global base files, SceneryTech Landclass files, FS Global ultimate mesh files and even the FTX region files.

FTX Global Vector installs itself below all of those files !!!!!!  ...instead of above them - as expected ???  Is that a bug?? That contradicts everything you guys have been talking about in the layers discussions concerning the positioning of mesh, landclass, autogen and vector files in the scenery library!

By the way - don't you read the messages here before answering?....jeez ???

regards

Robert

Hey Alex

Nobody here is talking about the default terrain data. We are talking about FTX Global base files, SceneryTech Landclass files, FS Global ultimate mesh files and even the FTX region files.

FTX Global Vector installs itself below all of those files !!!!!!  ...instead of above them - as expected ???  Is that a bug?? That contradicts everything you guys have been talking about in the layers discussions concerning the positioning of mesh, landclass, autogen and vector files in the scenery library!

By the way - don't you read the messages here before answering?....jeez ???

regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Vector's location in the library allows it to override the default data and sit below other addons. You can try placing mesh at a lower priority but as you can see it works fine with Global and regions in it's current placement. Actually if it were to be placed higher than regions it would likely override their data so I suspect that it's placement is correct.

Snapping at me will not help you out. I am currently working ease the inundation of support requests on release day. Vector is not my product and so my support is provided voluntarily and on my own time.

I'll let PILOT's provide a conclusive answer on the scenery placement.

Regards,

Alex

The reason for the Vector layering being set is (from my understanding when working with Pilots) :

the Vector layer is set to sit just above the base 1107 layer as it contains CVX excludes and this way it won't exclude any other installed addons which may contain vector data. It does not matter if this Vector folder sits below mesh or landclass folders, it will still work.

Hi Ed

Thanks for your revealing statement.

However, I still don't understand how those Vector files can still work when mesh, landclass, autogen and addon scenery are overwriting their files, because of there higher priority level - unless Vector only includes BGLs that are not found in the higher priority files.

And how can the CVX excludes exclude anything that was installed at a higher priority. That shouldn't be possible. But even then, when inserting the Vector files after landclass and before airports and other scenery addon files should guaranty that the excludes still work, since I would install addon scenery at a higher priority, whichs overwrites everything identical in Vector.

And if landclass, autogen and scenery files don't overwrite Vector files, then Pilots is making software that isn't conform with FSX standards and is confusing everyone.

For my understanding, FTX Global Vectors should logically be installed after any mesh, landclass or FTX Global files and before anything else like addons and airport scenery.

Installing Vector just above the 1107 base level makes no sense to me ...it's only confusing!

Robert

I just placed it (VECTOR mail CVX folder) one notch above UTX-Landclass/SceneryTech which is directly above "Addon Scenery" without anything in between.

that way it is above Mesh, LC and Global but yet doesn't disturb any other addons.

I advise you to do the same.

Hi Ed

Thanks for your revealing statement.

However, I still don't understand how those Vector files can still work when mesh, landclass, autogen and addon scenery are overwriting their files, because of there higher priority level - unless Vector only includes BGLs that are not found in the higher priority files.

And how can the CVX excludes exclude anything that was installed at a higher priority. That shouldn't be possible. But even then, when inserting the Vector files after landclass and before airports and other scenery addon files should guaranty that the excludes still work, since I would install addon scenery at a higher priority, whichs overwrites everything identical in Vector.

And if landclass, autogen and scenery files don't overwrite Vector files, then Pilots is making software that isn't conform with FSX standards and is confusing everyone.

For my understanding, FTX Global Vectors should logically be installed after any mesh, landclass or FTX Global files and before anything else like addons and airport scenery.

Installing Vector just above the 1107 base level makes no sense to me ...it's only confusing!

Robert

Hi Robert,

You're correct, the CVX excludes won't exclude anything above, hence it being placed above the last default layer (1107). As I said, this is to prevent it from overwriting any other addon that might be installed that contains vector data. 

As to landclass & mesh sitting above the Vector layer in priority, from my limited understanding is that they contain different data so it does not matter how they sit with each other. 

So there is no need for concern, the Vector layer can be moved up further if you wish, it was just set to the low layer on purpose for the reason I mentioned.

Archived