Everything Old Is New Again

I've been working through some of the older Orbx airports updating them for P3D V2 and am constantly amazed at the change to flight simming as a result of the new lighting and shadow system. It really changes the mood of your location depending on the time of day and adds immensely to the immersion factor of flying in the sim. I'm sure each of you will be equally impressed.

Here are just a few screenshots.

Coffs Harbour:-

nxWRD.jpg

xKPHR.jpg

d7O89.jpg

wyKRG.jpg

Warnervale:-

TDgs.jpg

bmehn.jpg

Lilydale:-

VoAdE.jpg

YRuy3.jpg

Coldstream:-

63hbZ.jpg

9uA.jpg

There is still much to do to bring our airports up to scratch but we are making good progress so far. Although we have a few airports finished, we will not be releasing them just yet as there are some issues that still need to be resolved both by ourselves as well as Lockheed Martin. Some of you with a keen eye may notice one or two of those anomalies in the above screenshots. Hopefully the required modifications will be included in update P3D V2.05 due some time in January.

One thing you will notice in a couple of those screenshots is that there are still a few burnt in shadows remaining under some objects. Unfortunately, there is little we can do about that now as much of the older imagery used for those airports is now lost.

Having now spent considerable man hours on this project, I am probably more aware than most of the differences with P3D V2 over both FSX and P3D V1.4. While many of the older files will run in one way or another, merely slapping a V2 installer on a FSX file will deny you most of what this new platform has to offer.

Thanks Graham and the whole ORBX Team for this upgrade!

If you are working on the airports anyway: Is there any Chance to make them wwork as airports in FTXG (without the full regions around it)?

I bet that it would increase the clientbase if you could install the ORBX payware airports directly into the "FTXG+Vector world".

I appreciate all the work that is being done, however one little bone of contention I have about all demonstration screenies is that rarely is there a "before" shot with which to see the difference. I know it can be difficult given the variation in add on programs that can effect any screenie, however for example in the above screenies it appears we are showing P3D 2.0 effect on airports and verbally comparing with original Orbx airports without showing the original airports. I think that if all "improved" screenies were then compared with screenies of the previous level of scenery that was available it would be more informative.

Hi Graham,

that looks amazing maybe i will start with ORBX Australia when it is P3D2 compatible. But i do have another question regarding the shadows. Did you notice that when you set just  "Buildings Receive Shadows" they actually wont receive them. It only works when you tag "Cast Shadows" then they receive shadows from aircraft and trees besides that they cast as they should.

I ask this question cause on my system and after a reinstall i have this little bug and thought that someone noticed this too. At this point i didnt ask in LM forums cause they seem pretty busy with 2.05.

Hi Graham,

that looks amazing maybe i will start with ORBX Australia when it is P3D2 compatible. But i do have another question regarding the shadows. Did you notice that when you set just  "Buildings Receive Shadows" they actually wont receive them. It only works when you tag "Cast Shadows" then they receive shadows from aircraft and trees besides that they cast as they should.

I ask this question cause on my system and after a reinstall i have this little bug and thought that someone noticed this too. At this point i didnt ask in LM forums cause they seem pretty busy with 2.05.

Yes, this is a bug which I also noticed. The only option for shadows and buildings that actually does something is Cast shadows: it will immediately enable Receive shadows also. The Receive shadows option does nothing.

Thankyou Graham . I can patiently wait ., and well we are in January already ( after midnight that is !) . Take your time mate and do it well , your usual standard .

I'm happily cruising about p3dv2 getting blown away with almost every flight .

Every year since Orbx started we've been saying ...what a year this is going to be . Exactly, what a year this is going to be ...lol

Cheers

Graham, any update to the ai traffic?

Thanks

Paul

I've already made a statement on the FTX AI Traffic package here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/68748-information-regarding-ftx-ai-traffic/#entry632675

There will be no change to this situation until LM have released an update which addresses the problems.

Archived