YPEC Aeropelican - first beta shots

We're well underway with the next project from Andreas Hegi and myself - YPEC Aeropelican. The licensed source imagery here is nothing short of 'magical'. This will have every house and object annotated, because it's just too nice material to not do it. We're also adding in a lot of Lake Maquarie POI's and the powerstation to the west, and the closed YCOB Cooranbong airstrip (it's in the W apprach vector). The waterways will be teeming with wildlife and boats as well. We love doing airports with 'character' and this one oozes it!

Other devs working on this project are Graham Eccleston, Holger Sandman, the LC team and also our real-world pilot and man on the ground with his trusty camera, Marty Venn.

This will further add more photoreal scenery to our Central Coast Series will make a perfect complimentary 'hop' from YWVA.

First beta shots!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, JV  I already have a couple of Orbx airports to catch up on my purchase list, but this one will be making  serious move to the fore...

Looking forward to progress shots, thanks for posting those.

One small problem.  Aeropelican has been closed for two or three years now ;D ;D ;D

Roy

One small problem.  Aeropelican has been closed for two or three years now ;D ;D ;D

Roy

Who cares? I moved to Kalinda Street Blacksmiths when I married in 1967 and lived there for 11 years. Flew out of 'Pelican to Sydney and then USA and Canada on my first business trip. Its great to see the surrounding area done over properly. The dragon (ma-inlaw) still lives at Coon Island Caravan park in Swansea, so I still drive through there a lot.

Yeah, its inactive. Aeropelican airlines fly out of Willie (YWLM) now. The local Council refuses to let owners tear up the airport for housing, so it may just become an active runway again. In any case it was listed in the ERSA as a private airstrip.

J.V - bring it on......

Oooh WOW. This is (was) literally down the road from were I live(d up until recently. As some of you may know, my new residence is just around the corner from YWVA. I can't believe it. Christmas hasn't come yet...but it sure will when YPEC arrives ;D ;D

Thanks for the exciting news John!! Look forward to watching it's progress.

Benny/Solareagle, I'm with you there. Just because an airfiled/aerodrome has been closed doesn't mean we can't fly from it in FSX.

P.S. John V keep looking around the hunter, there are more airstrips which ooze character Eg, YCNK, YMND, YWLM, YSCO...

Maybe some of those could be placed on the to do list in the future :P

To be honest I am not sure if it's an operational airfield or not; certainly Marty has gotten us all the source photos we need so there must be something happening there. My opinion is that if the airfield exists there today (even if it's inactive), it still makes for one of the most unique and picturesque airfields we could produce, and that's enough reason for us to make it. It's the perfect partner airfield to YWVA and also remember that OZx have made Somersby, which is also very close to YWVA.

The same applies to the closed YCOB Cooranbong airstrip, which will be in this scenery. The beauty of simulation is that we can choose to ignore the 'X's on the old runways, LOL!

P.S. John V keep looking around the hunter, there are more airstrips which ooze character Eg, YCNK, YMND, YWLM, YSCO...

Maybe some of those could be placed on the to do list in the future :P

Can't say too much ....... but ....

YMND - saw a preview over at Aussiex.org - unfortunately, their Forums are down at the moment.

YCNK - its a secret, but I shouldn't be the one to say who. Let's just say 230 photographs of Cessnock's buildings have been taken ...............

When he's ready, the designer will announce it, but I've seen the prelims and thought they were photos.

YSCO or YWLM - no info, but when I first flew into Scone as a student, Col Pay was warming up his Mustang right in front of us. He took off and then did a low pass at 50 feet on full power, and then headed Sydney way. Never forget it.

Yeah, John, YPEC is not operational. As a private airstrip, it was easy for the owners to close it when they went to Willie. Mind you, its a pretty damn good private airstrip, although last I looked, the grass is encroaching on the tar. Flew over it a few times when taking grandkids on a joy flight to see "little grandma" (the dragon). She'd come out her trailer home, stand in the street and wave a towel. I reckon she's lucky I'm not called George ...........  ;D

There was a rumour round (heard from a local) that Warnervale would be moving to YPEC, and that YWVA would be closing - but I have not been able to have it substantiated.

Cheers

Oh Man...how gooooood,

It's 20 minutes drive from home for me...love this area...... and that would have to be the best aerial shots of YPEC and Lake Mac I've ever seen. the colours are spot on. The highway and atrerial roads look great.

As stated before, it is a closed airstrip, but I have flown out of there many times to yssy when it was operating. Very intersteing approach when you have a 30kt southerly blowing, heavy rain and poor visibility. Really got to trust the local knowledge of the pilots  :o Those twotters stop on a 20c piece though :D

Bring it on ;)

To the best of my knowledge we (YWVA) will be moving to YPEC in the next year or so, sadly YWVA will be closing as the land is to be developed for light industrial use. If you are a real world pilot please do not attempt to land there unless of course it is an emergency as it is privately owned by Mirvac (the developers). I had to obtain permision to take these photos and do what I did. 

Ohhhhh, This keeps getting better and better BennyHill  :P :P I'll never leave my backyard once these are out  ;D I better not waste anymore time getting around the rest of FTX Aus...

You're dead right Marty. My father is on the committee at YMND and has been telling for the last year or so about the immenent move of the Aero Club at YWVA to YPEC. It will be great to see it active again (even if it is not the Twotters as some of you call them). I fear that the old DC-3 won't be relocating though >:(

Please, don't forget  Cathrine Hill Bay. My Best Friend's Mum Betty Walsh, the lady I call my foster Mum and for whom I am carer comes form there, and was the publican there in the 1950's, her father having taken over in 1942. The saleint feature is the long coal loading jetty--used as a landmark by Jean Batten in 1938, Bett remebers her school being turned out to wave at her as she flew over the Bay enroute to Sydney--she waggled her wings- There is also the pub, halfway up the hillat the bay

In Swansea, at the bottom of the hill  there is a Maccas by the roundabout

I will be buying thiw as sson as it is release, I would love to have a go at beta testing this :)

Wife visited her mother yesterday and drove past YPEC on her way to Swansea. Says she was startled by an aircraft landing at YPEC. Came right over the road over her head. First plane she has seen at the airport since it closed. Asked her to describe it and it sounds like a Cessna 172. What do they fly at Warnervale? Unfortunately she didn't get the registration - understandable - but a pity.

As for YWVA moving to YPEC - we will be able to land at Warny forever; thanks to ORBx.

The Warnervale A/C sport a bsic yellow livery so if it had yellow stripes it could have been one of the instructers doing a reke! Geoff McCloy (who I think owns the aerodrome) has a Pilatus so it wouldn't have been him.

when I first flew into Scone as a student, Col Pay was warming up his Mustang right in front of us. He took off and then did a low pass at 50 feet on full power, and then headed Sydney way. Never forget it.

How long ago would that have been? The one and only time I went there, Dad flew me and my daughter up there to get some hours up. We just missed the P-51 flying. Col had taken it for a run earlier in the morning. I would have died to see her in the air. A magnificent A/C. When we arrived it was parked out front of the hanger along with the Kittyhawk. We helped ourselves to a tour of the hangers too. There is some great A/C there. We also managed to grab a quick chat with Col before he headed off to Sydney. This was about 2 months before his accident GRHS.

Archived