was just reading up on Outback region..

dmrich28

thought I'd try and educate myself a bit on the region since I'm not familiar with the area at all.

Someone should put that Dingo fence in somehow that would make for a neat route to follow.

Hmm where's my copy of Instant Scenery ( and a month of time)  :)

Dave

Hi Dave,

actually, RED includes thousands of kilometers of fenceline including actual fence models but they aren't easy to spot. Look for straight reddish lines on the ground that are a few meters wide (about half the width of the dirt roads). They should have a thin black line that the fences sit on. Currently, the fence models themselves will only be visible in areas that have autogen on the surrounding ground textures but we'll try to change that in an update.

I assume the real Dingo fence is a bit more sturdy than our basic wire-and-post model but it should be there if it was part of the GeoScience Australia database.

We've also placed more than 50,000 windmills and water tanks based on real-world data but, again, those small models are hard to spot in the vast region.

Cheers, Holger

In my experience of nearly 500,000 kms of driving the WA wheatbelt including the Eastern extremeties fairly regularly, the old fence was more like the picture above than anything else.

Cheers,

Anyone found any fences yet? Post us up a screeny :)

Well... found something that looks like a fenceline, with autogen nearby, but no fence.  Could be my autogen setting (Normal)?

Posted Image

A watertank:

Posted Image

A well supplied watertank:

Posted Image

I want one of those water tanks for my garden, then ;)

So, yes, it turned out to be autogen setting - you need to have autogen set to Very Dense or Extremely Dense to see the fences.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I must admit I cheated by loading the fences.bgl into tmfviewer. But here's another pic of the fence and a windmill. Don't look to closely at the windmill as I think some polygons are mixed up and watching the moving parts to closely can do your head in. (well they did for me near midnight last night, well past my bedtime).

PS How useful would these fences be to Mark Lee and the Aussiex team? They like to do bumpy airstrips and placing the fences around them must take ages using Instant Scenery. If there was a new entry in the terrain.cfg for just the fence lines (not the vector polys underthem), a couple of tweaks to the SBuilder config files and fences could easily be drawn in Sbuilder. Just a thought.

Posted Image

I assume the real Dingo fence is a bit more sturdy than our basic wire-and-post model

Cheers, Holger

Sorry Holger - in reality a large portion of the various fences around Aust are much more like the one posted by bazzam - besides the dingo fence which is actually about 3 different fences in varying stages of upkeep, all jokingly called dingo fences - there are also 3 rabbit proof fences (thats especially a joke because the rabbits were already on both sides before the fences were built) in West Aust that are in basically the shape of bazzam's photo these days but their course is well visible from the air if not on the ground - usually there is a maintenance track both sides where possible although they are not maintained as well these days

Dingo fence near Birdsville. I think I prefer Holgers wire and post model for sturdiness :)

Posted Image

This is much more like the real thing that I have seen in many places around the country having driven '000's of miles of them way back when I was a well sinking contractor putting down wells and bores along with the windmills and associated tanks and troughs when I was young and fit - plus of course additional '000's as an avid 4WD'er both whilst still working whenever I could get away into the outback for a holiday from the smelly city and in retirement

We've also placed more than 50,000 windmills and water tanks based on real-world data but, again, those small models are hard to spot in the vast region.

Cheers, Holger

I was very glad to see that the few windmills that I have checked against the ones I errected all those years ago are still there lol - good to see that the data set that you are using is accurate for those at least

The widmill shown below by anthony31 is pretty close to reality for what I call a "small/medium mill" - each crossbar is spaced 5ft apart vertically for ease of assembly and they came in sizes up to 30ft high for the tower and the "heads" were from 8ft to 24ft - each vane was either 4ft, 5ft, or 6ft depending upon the manufacturer and the needed (desired vs cost) pumping capacity

Your tanks need a little modification - common sizes were 12ft diam x 6ft high, 24ft diam x 6 or 7 ft high and 30ft diam x 6,7 or 8 ft high again dependent upon the above variables of capacity, cost etc - they were usually constructed on a mound of earth to lift them above the water line  because the constant traffic of stock around the watering point inevitably created the ideal place for great puddles of mud to accumulate in the rare event of rain but more likely from the overflow of water from the tank once full - therefore tanks were usually placed about 50ft from the mill and the troughing was at least 20-50ft further from that depending upon the site

Troughs were in usually 8ft sections either 2ft wide for sheep or 3 or 4 ft for cattle and the length was dependant upon the anticipated mob size at that water point

It is great to see that you are showing better representations of roads in red but still not quite right but at least far better than the previous regions which are still far from reality - hopefully they will change before the DVD is produced

I must admit I cheated by loading the fences.bgl into tmfviewer. But here's another pic of the fence and a windmill. Don't look to closely at the windmill as I think some polygons are mixed up and watching the moving parts to closely can do your head in. (well they did for me near midnight last night, well past my bedtime).

PS How useful would these fences be to Mark Lee and the Aussiex team? They like to do bumpy airstrips and placing the fences around them must take ages using Instant Scenery. If there was a new entry in the terrain.cfg for just the fence lines (not the vector polys underthem), a couple of tweaks to the SBuilder config files and fences could easily be drawn in Sbuilder. Just a thought.

Posted Image

Nice find Ant - that is one of the better shots of a modeled windmill that I have spotted, very close to real life - wish I could find it in the sim - and the trough is also quite close to reality - although in the context of the mill shown perhaps just a little oversized in scale

Nice screenshot though

Placing the fences does take ages - i fenced the whole perimeter of two runways at maitland SA and it took me approximately three days using IS. Hardest part is trying to get the fences to stop floating and follow the ground where you havent used a flatten :'(  If it could be possible to do fences this way would that mean they automatically follow the earths surface in FSX?  And the Dingo Fence is only ever partially dingo proof.  There are regulary sightings of dingo's in the Little Dessert and Nargkat Conservation Parks some 400km south of the Dingo Fence. 

AFX fence lines are a bit different. They use the default FSX fence for airport boundaries and these need to be on a completely flat airport base otherwise they will stick up in the air or disappear into the ground. Most of the strips made by OZx though like to use non afcad strips where the ground undulates (like it does at virtually any real world airport) to varying degrees. The fence lines in FTX RED would seem to be a good way of making fences for these strips as the RED ones are vector lines with autogen attached (much like Holgers roads with the trees along the road side).

Archived