Invisible AI Traffic

Ryanm

G'Day everyone.

I posted this on the end of another thread, but since that had been resolved, I probably should have started a new thread.

I recently reformatted my computer and upgraded to W7 HP 64bit (was running 32 :banghead: ). The only other hardware change was installing the W7 onto a SSD.

Since then, I have noticed that a lot of my AI traffic is invisible, on the ground and in the air. The only scenery addons installed are Orbx regions/ several airports, AUS Scene Adelaide and AU Traffic v4.1.

The only mod to the fsx.cfg I have is HIGHMEMFIX=1.

LcRO.jpg
aAGmr.jpg
78JC.jpg

There is a REX SAAB parked there apparently. You can see a QF737 in the background.

I've not heard of this issue before so am a little light on possible causes. The fact that one SAAB 340 is visible when another with the same model and texture is not makes me believe this is a system problem and not an AI aircraft or traffic file problem. 

I know the HIGHMEMFIX=1 setting does have a few side effects and this may well be one of them. Given that this is a graphics related setting there may well be an issue here. You could perhaps disable that setting and see if the problem goes away.

Hi Graham, thanks for the reply.

I've just had a go with HIGHMEMFIX deleted and unfortunately no change.

How-ever, this seems to be isolated to Adelaide (AUS Scene). It doesn't appear to happen anywhere else. I'll post on their forum but I can't see how scenery could affect AI traffic?

There does seem to be a problem with that Airport package. If you turn aircraft shadows on, your FS9 AI aircraft disappear and you get some dummy aircraft shadows on the ground. If you turn them off your AI aircraft all appear and the dummy shadows are gone.

I would definitely follow that up with the AUscene people or PCAviator.

• 5 months later...

I jump in on this rather old thread which is "answered" in the FTX way of solving problems... I really do not get how it can be marked "answered" other than it is due to the fact that the thread was dead.

Anyway: I downloaded the AI traffic pack for NA recently and I have now exactly the same issue: the planes are not displayed completely. That means, some models show up, some do not, only their shadow is visible. I know that this is related to the fact that the models are not FSX native. This is a pity, do you know any workaround besides turning aircraft casts shadows on ground off?

It's a known issue with FSX... you can use either older FS9 traffic or FSX traffic, but not a combination of the two. Doing so does exactly what you are reporting here (i.e. The FS9 traffic will not be displayed).

The best way to fix it is just as Patrick suggested above... Convert your old style FS9 traffic files to FSX standard.

Hmm, I think you got me wrong: I do not use .bgl based traffic, only injected one via Ultimate Traffic 2. My problem is (as stated...), that the models are invisible. But they are there, indicated by the shadow underneath them. I know that this is due to the use of "non-FSX-native" models, and I am wondering if there is any FSX-native GA AI traffic models available.

As you obviously offer a freeware AI traffic pack but show no intentions to give support or even know what you are offering there precisely, I kindly ask to at least put a note in the documents or in the download sections somewhere that this AI traffic package is NOT compatible fully with DirectX 10 preview mode, not even if Steve's DX10 fixer is used.

Due to the fact that no one is interested to help me here or at least give a statement, I started to convert the GA ai models into FSX native models myself using MCX. Some culprits to deal with, but so far it works as expected: shadows can be activated, DX10 can be on and textures plus planes are displayed correctly. I still think that at least in the documentation of the freeware FTX NA GA traffic package (and I guess also in the other for Australia), it should be mentioned that with shadows on and/or DX10 mode the planes are not displayed correctly.

It was not particularly helpful posting under a thread which was essentially closed with an answer. The issue raised in this thread related to a specific airport, Adelaide International, which was developed and marketed by a third party and which has a unique, non standard ground poly. Because of that, no FS9 AI aircraft, either the FTX ones or those from other developers will work as they should.

Unless you also have a problem with Adelaide international, I would assume your issue is quite different. I'm not aware of any general problem with the FTX AI Traffic being invisible as you describe either with or without DX10 and I would have been keen to follow up on your matter if I had known it existed. Perhaps if you could start a new thread and give me some details such as which airport or airports you are seeing this problem I may be able to investigate further.

Incidentally, I run my FSX sim with DX10 on with Steve's DX10 fixer in place and have not had any issues with FS9 AI aircraft.

The issue with invisible AI traffic is related to the ground poly, yes. But this is not restricted to Adelaide but many other Sceneries have this ground poly issue for FS9 style AI traffic (regarding some other forums it has to do with something called scasm code). In my case, it is the LSZH scenery from FSDT, amongst others (Aerosoft airports). And yes, it is related to the option "aircraft cast shadows on the ground" option. I might be wrong (sure I am...) about the DX10 thing, as I can see those models without any issue on other airports. This is my mistake, that I confuse things here.

Forget about it, I had a terrible morning and was a little bit upset that no one answers here, now I am settled and I absolutely see your point. Still it should be mentioned in the documents that turning this shadow option on could lead to problems with 3rd party addons. In my case, I could simply modify this ground poly in a way that it avoids this scasm coding thing, but honestly, I have no idea how to perform this...

If your issue is with LSZH Zurick by the FS Dream Team, then the AI traffic must be from some other developer as well as the FTX AI traffic files do not go anywhere near Europe. So if your issue is with a non Orbx/FTX AI traffic package at a non Orbx/FTX airport, then I am a little perplexed as to why you are posting this matter in the Orbx/FTX support forum at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the latest updates for the AUScene Adelaide scenery didn't include any fix for this. The only "work around" I can think of is to turn aircraft shadows off when I fly around Adelaide.

Archived