Jeff's Round the World with ORBX (023)

jpreou

Jeff's Round the World with ORBX (023)

Leg 23 - China - Mongolia - China

After modifying my flight plan, I scooped around the western end of Mongolia to take in the Gobi Desert. To be honest, FSX has neglected this area and it wasn't the most interested; shame, because the Mongolia I've seen on TV is so much more rugged and spectacular. As a result, the picture opportunities simply didn't present themselves, not helped by poor weather; in fact, the last four legs out of Mongolia and back into China were some of the worst storms REX has yet thrown at me. The approach and landing into Dongshan was really very difficult with abrupt changes in pitch and roll of up to 45 degrees! How I got that thing down is something I'm still not sure about :)

So this trip was:

• Baita (ZBHH), China
  • Oyutolgoi (ZMOT), Mongolia
  • Dalanzadgad (ZMDZ), Mongolia
  • Mandalgovi (ZMMG), Mongolia
  • Buyant-Ukhaa (ZMUB), Mongolia
  • Underkhaan (ZMUH), Mongolia
  • Choibalsan (ZMCD), Mongolia
  • Dongshan (ZBLA), China

Leaving Baita

g2n3.jpg

Not such an interesting trip since I couldn't see the ground for almost any of it!

lm7w.jpg

Eventually found and landed at Oyutolgoi which sits up at an elevation of 3887ft. In fact, all the stops in Mongolia are at high elevations like this. Stayed until there was a break in the weather and then left.

jmx7.jpg

Dalanzadgad; didn't stop there.

qxsy.jpg

Approaching Mandalgovi, elevation 4550ft, where I stopped for a walk around.

rru.jpg

vww3.jpg

This is what greeted me on approach to Buyant-Ukhaa. I'm given rwy 32 by ATC so the drop over the top of those hills should be interesting.

hfqj.jpg

Another angle, and to make matters more interesting there was a strong uplift on the slope which required a good bit of forward-stick in getting down. Of course, once you drop below the level of the uplift, the extra pitch down you;ve been holding kicks in suddenly and you need to release the pressure on the stick and bring the nose back up to regain the correct approach speed over the fence and down onto the numbers. Fun!

se0e.jpg

I stopped long enough to uplift some fuel and then got on my way again.

24gg.jpg

The weather soon turned and I spent the next couple of hours flying around thunderstorms.

4h1n.jpg

I climbed up to 10,000ft to try to find some clean air. There was none. I picked up some significant icing in the attempt; so much, in fact, that for the first time in FSX I was unable to maintain level

flight and started a descent back to warmer but bumpier levels. 'She' seems happy enough though; no fear I guess!

qgj3.jpg

High over-flight of Underkhaan

9nc4.jpg

I was going to land at my final port of Mongolia; Choibalsan, but the thunderstorms were still very heavy so after obtaining clearance I pushed on back into China. What isn't shown in this shot is the massive forked lightning bolt that struck right in the middle of the airport about a half second earlier (I missed it) which is what made up my mind not to attempt to land there!

vnmo.jpg

Still thunderstorms at Dongshan but I'm no longer in a position of choice; I have to land here. I'm getting tossed about like a toy. Sudden pitch changes and roll changes of up to 45 degrees in extremely heavy turbulence. I've never been in it like this before. They must think I'm nuts down there: I sure as hell think I'm nuts being up here!

ipy9.jpg

Approach is ... hardly conventional. And yes, I'm high here; just as well its a long runway for an RV.

3ydt.jpg

And finally, before I park up, change my trousers and give thanks to God, I fill the tanks. In the rain. And thunder. And lightning. REX is going all out to impress me, and does so in style! :)

oyfq.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I might take a short break from the world trip and go check out Queenstown, NZ which I bought as soon as it was released, installed that same evening when I got home from work, and still haven't actually loaded!

Cheers

Archived