First Time OOM's

Andrew 737

Hi Guys

I have never really suffered from OOMs during any GA Flying. I have got all FTX UK and Airports.

I run TML 1024, Dense Autogen, 5760 x 1080, REX and 50% UT2. My ground textures were 7cm but after my OOM reduced to 30cm.

Flew EGSC - EGHI in the A2A C172 and got an OOM 8 miles out of EGHI

Any suggestions gentlemen?

Thanks

Try setting your virtual memory to 3072 in both boxes under custom. Be sure to do this on the drive that FSX is located on.

If this is a machine used "prImarily" for simming do not have more than 8G memory max in your machine.

Try setting your virtual memory to 3072 in both boxes under custom. Be sure to do this on the drive that FSX is located on.

If this is a machine used "prImarily" for simming do not have more than 8G memory max in your machine.

I'll give this a go chick - its set quite high at the moment (default setting) - Ill let you know mate

I only run 8g memory in all my FSX Systems and these systems are used exclusively for FSX :)

Thank you chick

Are you running a 32bit or 64 bit version of Windows?

W7 Ult 64bit - set up and tweaked by the Late Michael Greenblatt (my good friend whom I miss dearly).

I have only ever got an OOM in the NGX so I don't fly ORBX in the NGX - but the A2A C172? This is a 'Must' Especially to Southampton.

BTW - So far Southampton exceeds all my expectations by a mile :)

Try this

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Lets you monitor FSX VAS usage in real time. I suggest you move the Virtual Size column adjacent to the CPU then click it to move FSX to the top - it will be the greatest VAS hog.

Also, when you first load FSX load the default flight then at the selection screen select the aircraft you want to use, time and location the hit 'Fly now'.

I have loaded the PMDG 777 at YBBN and barely step over the 3gb level - well short of OOMs.

In addition, when I had the 777 as the default load then loaded it from the selection screen it was ticking around 3.7gb as apparently it was loaded in the background (as the default flight always is) then loaded again.

This may help.

Sorry could you tell me where i go to change this. I also have the same issued with ORBX UK. Thank you and best regards

Hi Jimmy

FSUIPC makes its 'pleasant' sound when were close to OOM - but what should I do then?

Thanks

That's the sound that basically tells you your engine has quit. There isn't enough virtual address space left to keep the sim aloft for many more minutes.

Assigning a key combination to Refresh Scenery and pressing that might help by freeing up a few hundred MB's. Otherwise, just save the flight, quit the sim and reload.

If you go into the Logging tab in FSUIPC, type in "024C" in one of the blank fields and select "U32" and Log to FS Window, FSUIPC will print out the actual amount of VAS available on-screen. This is very useful when troubleshooting OOM errors. You can change settings or disable add-ons and observe how it affects the available VAS pool. You can also determine which aircraft add-ons are use the most VAS by repeating the same flight with different aircraft.

Sorry could you tell me where i go to change this. I also have the same issued with ORBX UK. Thank you and best regards

Hi

Control Panel - System - Advanced Sys Settings - under 'Perf' click 'Settings' - Advanced tab - under 'Virtual Memory' click change - bullet custom size - plonk the nbers in!!!

Good luck mate :)

Thank you Chick

Try this

Lets you monitor FSX VAS usage in real time. I suggest you move the Virtual Size column adjacent to the CPU then click it to move FSX to the top - it will be the greatest VAS hog.

Also, when you first load FSX load the default flight then at the selection screen select the aircraft you want to use, time and location the hit 'Fly now'.

I have loaded the PMDG 777 at YBBN and barely step over the 3gb level - well short of OOMs.

In addition, when I had the 777 as the default load then loaded it from the selection screen it was ticking around 3.7gb as apparently it was loaded in the background (as the default flight always is) then loaded again.

This may help.

Thank for the head ups up buddy - ill let you all know - thanks all

Try this

This may help.

Hi Chumley

Do you mean put 'working set' next to CPU?

I don't have a 'Virtual Size' Column?

I did actually load this particular flight from a 'Saved Flight' is there a bug?

Thanks

That's the sound that basically tells you your engine has quit. There isn't enough virtual address space left to keep the sim aloft for many more minutes.

Assigning a key combination to Refresh Scenery and pressing that might help by freeing up a few hundred MB's. Otherwise, just save the flight, quit the sim and reload.

If you go into the Logging tab in FSUIPC, type in "024C" in one of the blank fields and select "U32" and Log to FS Window, FSUIPC will print out the actual amount of VAS available on-screen. This is very useful when troubleshooting OOM errors. You can change settings or disable add-ons and observe how it affects the available VAS pool. You can also determine which aircraft add-ons are use the most VAS by repeating the same flight with different aircraft.

What excellent Information - Thank you Jimmy 

Hi

Control Panel - System - Advanced Sys Settings - under 'Perf' click 'Settings' - Advanced tab - under 'Virtual Memory' click change - bullet custom size - plonk the nbers in!!!

Thank you Chick

Thanks for helping out Andrew.

Hi

I am using FSUIPC to monitor on screen virtual memory usage as shown in attached screenshot.

pKSbB.jpg

Is there a way to remove the green bar completely and leave the red coloured text in place.

Have searched Google and in  fsuipc.ini but am unable to find a solution.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

noels7

What excellent Information - Thank you Jimmy 

On the screen for Process Explorer open the View menu and then open Select Columns at the bottom. from there select Process memory tab and check the Virtual Size box. then it is a simple matter of sliding the column across beside CPU.

The process I suggested was recommended in the T7 documentation and apparently by MS as well. If you go into the Load option in FSX settings you can select the Default which is the one I use - not a default I may have created to make the last aircraft used the first selected.

Apologies for not going far enough with this.

Hi

I am using FSUIPC to monitor on screen virtual memory usage as shown in attached screenshot.

Is there a way to remove the green bar completely and leave the red coloured text in place.

Have searched Google and in  fsuipc.ini but am unable to find a solution.

Regards

noels7

If you run FS windowed I think you can log to the Window titlebar instead by selecting the checkbox in the FSUIPC logging tab.

On the screen for Process Explorer open the View menu and then open Select Columns at the bottom. from there select Process memory tab and check the Virtual Size box. then it is a simple matter of sliding the column across beside CPU.

The process I suggested was recommended in the T7 documentation and apparently by MS as well. If you go into the Load option in FSX settings you can select the Default which is the one I use - not a default I may have created to make the last aircraft used the first selected.

Apologies for not going far enough with this.

Ah I see - thanks for the extra info mate

As ever greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for helping out Andrew.

My pleasure; least I could do :)

Thank you for giving my old grey matter a gentle nudge in the right direction :)

So I did this VM change then added the 'max autogen trees & buildings per cell' tweaks; I will set up Process Explorer as per chumnleys instructions and see if this is enough - ill report back tonight after a flight

Thank you everyone.

Hi

pKSbB.jpg

Have searched Google and in fsuipc.ini but am unable to find a solution.

Regards

noels7

Great question - lets wait and see if anyone knows :)

edit - see Jimmys post above

Wow I didn't know Michael had passed Andrew. I paid him to set me up also a few years back what happened to him?

Oh Louis

Mike and I became great friends; chatting about music, FSX and life - I'm still so really sad.

Mike taught me much and saved my hobby - it is with profound regret Mike never saw the GTX 780, FTX EU, FTX Global - he loved ORBX

Talk about A2A - the C172... oh mate; he'd have loved it. I feel upset now :(

Mike got Lung Cancer and realised late - he passed away.

I spoke to him while he was close!

'Smooth Flights and Blue Skies Michael'

A

Just a heads up, your PC's Virtual Memory and VAS usage have nothing to do with each other. They are two VERY different things and there is no need to change from the Windows7 managed pagefile.

Ok but from what I understand the smaller the file the less HD and CPU work so still good anyway?

Please feel free to correct me - knowledge is Useful :)

Ok but from what I understand the smaller the file the less HD and CPU work so still good anyway?

Please feel free to correct me - knowledge is Useful :)

You are correct, the smaller pagefile will take up less space on your HDD/SSD so if space is a premium. Memory Management is much better in Windows7 than it was in XP which is where the Virtual Memory/Pagefile tweak was more beneficial. It's a leftover.

Just a heads up, your PC's Virtual Memory and VAS usage have nothing to do with each other. They are two VERY different things and there is no need to change from the Windows7 managed pagefile.

Well, you *can* get OOM errors from actually running out of virtual and physical RAM - for example if you only have 4GB of RAM and a very small (or no) paging file. Then you only have 4GB for the FSX VAS pool as well as the OS and background processes, meaning in reality about 2.5 - 3GB for FSX.

However, 99% of the time, FSX has access to its full 4GB, and OOM's are caused by the sim exhausting its 4GB VAS pool.

Hi

Thank you Chick

Thank for the head ups up buddy - ill let you all know - thanks all

You mean ORBX control panel?

if you only have 4GB of RAM and a very small (or no) paging file.

Even more reason NOT to mess with a system managed pagefile (virtual memory). If you had 4gb or 32gb of RAM your FSX still has it's own 4gb VAS limit. The "VAS pool" used by FSX is independent of what your system is using.  Your OS and other programs have their own "VAS pool".

Hi!

I already have OOM's while flying in the EGHI Area with the A2A C172. Looks like it's really a problem with the C172. The VAS is as high as at the PMDG 737NGX.

Has anybody found a memory leak at the C172?

Regards,

Martin

I've not had a chance to monitor VAS yet - have you 'confirmed' the C172 is as memory hungry as the NGX?

Archived