Early Fall in FTX Global?

Gaiiden

I'm not sure if this is an FTX Global issue or an FSX issue but today I noticed deciduous trees turning color. The date/time in FSX is still set to the Summer season for the current date (today) and that screenshot is over my neighborhood in NJ which certainly hasn't started turning colors yet. Just a few days ago (8/28) I was still flying with proper Summer textures.

earlyfall.jpg

I think this is an FSX issue, but that is only a guess. I also think it depends where in the world you are. I live near Chicago and while trees have not begun to change color yet, my FSX/FTXG. textures are showing some scattered change. Actually, I think it is rather cool how it is more or less gradual.

Sherm

Thanks. I will just fly at the end of August until Fall really arrives around here. Because that can mess a bit with the time setting, what I do is set the Time/Date to Dawn on Aug 28th and note the time FSX gives me. I then check Weather.com for the dawn time of actual day I'm flying. Then I just apply this offset to get the proper sun position during my flight.

Just do as I mention above, re84uk and the problem will be "solved" :) Really the only point in setting the date is for the sim to properly position the sun in the sky. If you offset the time right you won't notice much difference as long as you choose the latest date with summer textures until actual fall foliage starts to arrive in your area.

However the date also affects the moon phases, so if you want a realistic moon phase you should choose a date accordingly.

FTX Global does not alter the seasons control file at all, so something else is causing the season switch.

Flying in Thailand yesterday, many of the trees had fall colors...not very realistic in South East Asia, is it? So, now my question turns to FTXG. If the new textures are replacements for the FSX originals, was there no coding to allow for geographic differences, especially in the tropics? In re your comment, JV, do you have any idea what that something else might be? Changing the dates might work, but that seems to me to be a bandaid repair, not a real fix. But, as I said above, if this is coded into FSX itself, there simply may be nothing to be done about this.

Hello All,

The quotes below are from a thread that I started a couple of days ago when I noticed a similar affect in FTX Global. 

"First let me say thanks for FTXG. I have had it for a while and have recently spent time flying around my home territory in Eastern Ontario, specifically the area West and South of Ottawa.

I continue to have a mixed display of open water lakes and iced over lakes, adjacent to each other. My settings are for summer using the real dates and time. Though it is early by a few weeks, the deciduous trees are turning into their bright fall colors. That is reasonable, the mixed water on the lakes is not. I have also spotted a couple of elevation issues on the Ottawa River just west of Deep River with what appears to be a waterfall effect running diagonally across the widening of the river above the Des Joachims dam. I have spent a few days flying around the area to confirm that this is a widespread effect."

"Do you also have UTX: Canada installed? that creates iced out lakes in their options menu."

I do indeed use UTX Canada and this may also cause the early fall and covered lakes along with FSX itself.

I will live with it. FTX Global is still awesome, and as we know will continuously be improved and added to.

Rick 

Seasonal changes outside of "fully fat" regions are controlled by FSX alone. It's done this at least as far back as FS98 I believe (possibly longer - can't remember) and long before Orbx arrived on the scene. That, of course, doesn't affect ice. Outside of fully fat Orbx regions, that's a UTX thing (which you can control yourself).

Hello All,

The quotes below are from a thread that I started a couple of days ago when I noticed a similar affect in FTX Global. 

"First let me say thanks for FTXG. I have had it for a while and have recently spent time flying around my home territory in Eastern Ontario, specifically the area West and South of Ottawa.

I continue to have a mixed display of open water lakes and iced over lakes, adjacent to each other. My settings are for summer using the real dates and time. Though it is early by a few weeks, the deciduous trees are turning into their bright fall colors. That is reasonable, the mixed water on the lakes is not. I have also spotted a couple of elevation issues on the Ottawa River just west of Deep River with what appears to be a waterfall effect running diagonally across the widening of the river above the Des Joachims dam. I have spent a few days flying around the area to confirm that this is a widespread effect."

"Do you also have UTX: Canada installed? that creates iced out lakes in their options menu."

I do indeed use UTX Canada and this may also cause the early fall and covered lakes along with FSX itself.

I will live with it. FTX Global is still awesome, and as we know will continuously be improved and added to.

Rick 

Elevation issues are nothing to do with FTX Global. There is no elevationm mesh included in the Global product. What you are seeing is either the result of a seperate mesh addon or its like that in the default FSX.

Archived