Sunken runways FTXG - Yemen

GarethW

I want to say I am very glad I went with FTX Global. I use hybrid at the moment (with FTX England) for short hops in the NGX e.g. EGHH to LFPG. The contiguous feel it gives the terrain is the best I've experienced, and frankly it has reinvigorated my interest in simming. Also in exploring, which brings me to my Topic.

Many moons ago I co-piloted an RAF Beverly from Aden Airport up to small strip on the plateau called Mukeiras (OYMS). N.E of Aden. I felt had to try it again with FTXG and see if it in any way recalled the general ambience of that trip. I was blown away by the FTX desert textures. Great work there ORBX! But Mukeiras turned out to be a sunken strip. See pic. One of 9 or 10 other, mainly smaller fields in Yemen that have sunken airstrips/runways. On my set-up that is. Most of the larger ones were fine.  

I came across a similar problem a while ago when installing FTX NZSI and it was easily fixed as I recall. Any suggestions please as to how to fix this issue?

I have Genesis World Mesh Global Mesh installed. Also a dedicated Yemen mesh from the same people. I have re-installed both.  As my P3D setup is a recent rebuild from scratch I have no conflicting scenery areas or files.  I have installed the latest Library and Core files but wasn't expecting them to affect this particular problem.  

Cheers,

Gareth

Sorry, couldn't find a way to attach the pic I took of OYMS

Order # FSS0222979

I have Genesis World Mesh Global Mesh installed. Also a dedicated Yemen mesh from the same people. I have re-installed both.  As my P3D setup is a recent rebuild from scratch I have no conflicting scenery areas or files.  I have installed the latest Library and Core files but wasn't expecting them to affect this particular problem. 

This clearly is a mesh problem... FTXG does nothing to FSX that can make airports sink (or rise): only mesh can do that. So to fix this problem you should contact Genesis! I presume they have a tool with which you can correct errors like this, which are very common with mesh addons.

Hi Gareth,

just went over to OYMS myself and indeed the place looks a bit down in the earth, alas this glitch was/is already present in the stock fsX as just checked here, see attached screenshots for comparison

Stock fsX

oyms_fsX_001.jpg

Stock fsX same as obove top down view

oyms_fsX_002.jpg

FTX Global

oyms_FTX_005.jpg

FTX Global same as obove top down view

oyms_FTX_006.jpg

FTX Global + hybrid mode

oyms_FTXhm_003.jpg

FTX Global + hybrid mode same as obove top down view

oyms_FTXhm_004.jpg

it is correctable with a program called ADE to raise the elevation of that airfield to the correct altitude, I do not have it but there are a number of people around in the forums that can maybe fix it for you.

I have dug it out of the hole but I only have default mesh.

It is now at a height of 7152 feet but may well not fit into

Genesis mesh.

If you can tell me the height of your surrounding terrain,

I can soon alter the height to match your mesh.

e10u.jpg

Were there any buildings there, windsocks, vehicles?

It looks a bit blank.

V1A

2w3b.jpg

klc6.jpg

Regards,

Nick

Wolter and Nick, thanks for your great replies, and your offer to help sort it Nick.

The pix you both included are pretty much duplicates of the ones I took. I suspected it a was mesh elevation issue but thought it strange that not all the Yemen fields were affected.  I found quite a few, probably 8 but would be grateful to fix one or two of them.  I hope it's not a huge time-consuming exercise.  

Is ADE  something I can get my hands on, or maybe it takes a bit of expertise?   

Anyway, Nick I'll be back poste haste with some elevations ...

Thanks again both.  Best,

Gareth

Order # FSS0222979

Btw, what's the drill to add a pic? The editor, at my end anyway, lacked the familiar 'Attach' button. 

Wolter and Nick, thanks for your great replies, and your offer to help sort it Nick.

The pix you both included are pretty much duplicates of the ones I took. I suspected it a was mesh elevation issue but thought it strange that not all the Yemen fields were affected.  I found quite a few, probably 8 but would be grateful to fix one or two of them.  I hope it's not a huge time-consuming exercise.  

Is ADE  something I can get my hands on, or maybe it takes a bit of expertise?   

Anyway, Nick I'll be back poste haste with some elevations ...

Thanks again both.  Best,

Gareth

Order # FSS0222979

Btw, what's the drill to add a pic? The editor, at my end anyway, lacked the familiar 'Attach' button. 

Airport Design Editor can be found here

http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/

It is relatively easy to use and free unless you want to upgrade

to the Pro version which activates more functions, such as the ability

to move an entire airfield..

I am no expert but can manage the basics.

I must warn you that it is very absorbing and can become very time consumimg.

As to airfields, it is quite common, once you have left the mainstream areas,

to find FSX default airfields in pits like this one or on their own plateaus, sometimes

attached to a hillside.

This tends to become much worse if a more accurate mesh is applied but as Wolter has shown

us in this case, many of them don't even match the default mesh.

Often they are also several hundred metres from their real life locations.

I have wondered in the past whether the developers of FSX sometimes gave the files to

their children to play with and whether the data they used for airfield locations was from

the same planet as the terrain data.

As to the Yemen airfields, I will send you the files for this one for your approval

as soon as you publish the surrounding elevation.

If you want some more done after you have seen this one, by all means but let us proceed

using Private Messages, so as not to hijack the forum.

Regards,

Nick.

Nick, I welcomed your comments above and sent the elevation data for OYMS to you soon after. Since then we seem to have lost touch. Never having sent a 'Private Message' on the ORBX forum before it could  be that I fouled up somewhere. I simply went to the Members area and went from there.  I hope you're still able to help me out as I went ahead installed ADE was unable to use it anyway as I don't have the FSX SDK. I use P3D but imagine its the same difference. 

As with the procedure for attaching screenshots (I still don't know how) I could find no area on this Forum to help rookies use 'Private Messages', or exchange files etc. 

Dieter, thanks for your recommendation of AFM 'tool'. It appeared to be presented on the Pilot's site as an 'elevation mesh repair' for FS Global. Still, it evidently did the job for you. Does it need the FSX SDK? I happen to like using fairly high-powered mesh for the desert areas since they can be somewhat boring by default. As you fixed OYMS yourself, can you kindly give me a few more details about AFM? 

Thanks, 

Gareth

Archived