Trees on taxiways after FTXG installation

Kosta

Hi,

I pretty much confirmed it, I am at the LDDU, have the Croatia addon for FSX, looking at my taxiways, installed FSX and P3D fresh, and in both sims, LDDU works fine PRIOR to FTXG installation, and after I install FTXG, I see trees on taxiways. It also happened on 2-3 other airports...

What's the problem? Prior to purchasing, I wasn't made aware that FTXG was so deeply changing the core of FSX/P3D, that my addons will stop working!!?? (I do however read reports on other forums, should I have paid attention to that?)

Hi,

I pretty much confirmed it, I am at the LDDU, have the Croatia addon for FSX, looking at my taxiways, installed FSX and P3D fresh, and in both sims, LDDU works fine PRIOR to FTXG installation, and after I install FTXG, I see trees on taxiways.

What's the problem? I wasn't aware that FTXG was so deeply changing the FSX/P3D, that my addons will stop working!!??

Same thing happened to me tonight; trees on the approach to Aberdeen.

Scotland and FTXG on Hybrid mode - be nice to get this sorted guys

Thanks

Hi Kosta,

find attached a screenshot of what I am seeing here at my end at LDDU

lddu_001.jpg

lddu_002.jpg

lddu_003.jpg

did you try and switch FTX Central by unticking the boxes and hit Apply, sometimes this can help to get the file order straightened out again.

could you also please inform us which other addons you have installed ?

I have the Davor Puljevic (Simmarket) Croatia, which works without the FTXG (before it is installed, and when installed, I can't remove, I tried replacing original terrain.cfg, lclookup.bgl and autogendescriptions, and sce/wor/sce folder - nothing helps).

Seemingly, something else is changed. When I disable the croatia however, something is also bad, trees disappear, however the water in the middle of the airport appears! This only happens though AFTER FTXG has been installed!

And no, checking-unchecking stuff in FTXG doesn't help.

sorry to jump in here , but obviously when something like this is brought up , become curious and have a look. and the water issue which was brought up in another thread for another airport is happening here too . if u stand on runway 30 , the land on either side of where the runway number is turns to water. but hover  above the runway and it disappears and becomes land again ???

This gives me a very negative feeling about FTXG, especially after I read what one another developer said about FTXG.

I was *never* warned by ORBX, that FTXG will change the core of FSX, and thus possibly cause other problems. The only advertisment ORBX made, that I was aware of, was new set of ground textures.

I would like a clarification, why is not possible to "deactivate" FTXG as it is other FTX regions?

What other parts of FSX exactly are modified, so that when problems arise, I can go about manually reverting them to see where the problem lies?

That is interesting then. Back on the issue, I have discovered one thing: installing Croatian Airports makes them work, BUT, when I uninstall, I get water. Now, does this have anything to do with the fact, that when I install FTXG, trees on runways appear, I doubt...

For what its worth, I had a look at LDDU and can report no water and no tree issues, only FSX acceleration + FTXGlobal installed atm

@Kosta, is your 3rd party scenery placed above everything 'Orbx' in the scenery library?

Yep, that it is. I am playing with a fresh installation of the sim. Clean install, all sidefolders also cleaned, I am assuring that there is *nothing* else interfering.

I simply wonder at the incompatibility of a simple default texture replacement of FTXG and why is it interfering with an addon scenery...

I can't confirm the the tree issue. I checked Aberdeen in various modes and in default (I have two machines with FSX, one without any ORBX addons, and one with all of them),no tress are found on the runway. On my default machine, the described water problem is confirmed.

I do believe that the problem might arise on some and then not on some, this is due to the fact that we all use a big eco-system. All addons may or may not play together nicely, but what wonders me, why does a simple texture upgrade interfere with an addon? The propaganda was that this will upgrade the simulator texture world, that it did, but at what cost? Were users made aware of it?

And the worst thing is, you can't uninstall it...

Hi Kosta,

I'm the first to admit that I'm not a scenery tech savvy, and I live and hope to learn every day, I do have a vanilla fsX+Acceleration here and these screenshots I have just made

StockFSXissues_001.jpg

StockFSXissues_002.jpg

StockFSXissues_003.jpg

as you clearly can see the water creeping issue is a stock fsX bug, as we did not alter the Landclass for Europe so this bug will be creeping up all the time, so most presumably when a LC is made for that particular part of the world that issue will cease to exist.

as for working together with your local scenery there, I cannot judge as I do not have that particular addon, but I suspect it maybe has to do something with scenery library order.

as for your little "Uninstaller" rant, it is well documented that the Team clearly announced that it is working very hard to make a uninstaller, but before we get all of trollandia over us again on this subject the Team is making darned sure it works as should and that takes a bit of time.

So please let's keep things in a positive perspective we are all here to enjoy our hobby which is flightsimming, I think we all strive to make things better and in that light we join hands to make the basic fsX to a better place to fly in even in spite all it's warts and peculiarities.

I went to LDDU, just to see if I would have any problems, and the problem I have is the same as Wolter's.  When I'm sitting at or close to the threshold there is water, but, when I moved, or slewed, up, or forward (then look behind) it was gone.

I had never flown at this airport before.  I just went there to see if I would have any issues.

I have FSX Acceleration, FTX Global, all my purchased Orbx scenery, and UTXUSA installed. 

Rod

Hi Wolter,

Thank you for your analysis.

so most presumably when a LC is made for that particular part of the world that issue will cease to exist.

Correct. The scenery I have comes with a custom LC for that area. However, the issue I am talking about is about trees in that area, and not water!

You apparently didn't at all understand my issue. Let's recap:

- P3D installed, fresh - no issues in LDDU, at all

- Croatian Airports addon installed - no issues

- FTXG installed - trees appear where you show water

And while at this, I can confirm that I have been flying there for a long time, though with GEX and without tree-issue. However I love FTXG textures and would like to understand what is going on.

but I suspect it maybe has to do something with scenery library order.

Unfortunately not. I tried moving the scenery up and down, nothing helps to remove the trees!

the Team is making darned sure it works as should and that takes a bit of time.

Understood, thanks. How about the information what files FTXG exactly changes? That would surely help advanced users to understand and troubleshoot FSX if such problems arise.

Hi Kosta,

I'll ask Holger if he can shed some light on this and sorry but  I'm not at liberty to debate the inner workings of FTX Global with others than the FTX Team,

if you want to have insight of that I can only advice you to contact John Venema about it.

and could you also please be so kind and add your ordernumber(s) to your Sig as per forum rules.

Alright, thank you.

Wow, I wasn't aware that the user is not allowed to know what the software is exactly doing to his simulator, especially in the complicated ecosystem as FSX is. But as per your advice, I'll ask John when he's back. One thing I am sure about: right now, for a simple user, or even advanced like myself, it is impossible, even manually, to remove FTXG.

Sig: done.

And there is apparently no other place to ask this: how would I go about requesting a refund, if I decide to? And how long time do I have? If this issue shows itself as an annoyance, present at more airports, I might decide that way...

Hi Kosta,

Holger will be better able to assist you with knowledge of what Global does and does not replace. It has long been announced that it modifies the lclookup.bgl and other core files. The reason Wolter probably can't specify is not out of malice, rather that he is not a developer and did not have a hand in modifying anything. Rather, Wolter is our troubleshooting guru for a wide range of support issues.

Please wait for Holger to consult with the core file issues. In the meantime, the refund policy has always been no refunds but you can contact John and when he returns on the 18th he will be able to provide more information.

Thank you Alex, appreciate the effort of everyone here.

I've always been a patient person, so I'll just wait for Holger, I hope he chimes in here, and will contact JV after 18th and discuss with him everything, that is also when my vacation ends.

Hi guys,

it looks to me as if the issue with the trees on the runway is due to the Croatia add-on not using one of the default airport grounds landclass types, which don't have autogen. There are some non-airport classes in default FSX that also don't have autogen but they do in the FTXG replacement textures and thus add-ons that use these classes will display unwanted autogen. In short, this isn't an issue with lclookup.bgl or terrain.cfg but simply default versus FTXG textures and autogen with an add-on that uses a non-standard class for their airport grass polygons. Kosta, does the situation change at all whether you select FTXG hybrid mode or not?

The easiest fix would probably be to add local autogen excludes with ADE or SBuilderX, by someone who owns that add-on, and then share those files in our compatibility subforum with other users. 

As for manually uninstalling FTXG the two key steps would be to restore the \Scenery\World\texture backup that the FTXG installer created and the default lclookup.bgl file in \Scenery\Base\scenery. The FTXG installer placed backups of all swapped files in \ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\InstallBackup. For a complete uninstallation you also want to restore these other files to their default locations (I can provide folder names if needed) but for a quick back&forth check only the \Scenery\World\texture backup and lclookup.bgl are essential. 

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger, thanks for replying.

Kosta, does the situation change at all whether you select FTXG hybrid mode or not?

No, no change at all.

A simple answer that would fit this situation is poorly coded addon, am I right to understand? As I have checked now about a dozen other airports, and non display such problem...

but for a quick back&forth check only the \Scenery\World\texture backup and lclookup.bgl are essential.

This is what I restored, and nonetheless, it was apparently not fully restored. At least not the last time I was playing with it.

Let me explain:

- current situation, CA installed, FTXG installed = trees

- moved the backup folder into corresponding position, backed up FTXG, restored lclookup.bgl = still trees on the airport!

So even if I do what you say, restore textures and lclookup.bgl, I still get those trees at wrong places.

The FTXG installer placed backups of all swapped files in \ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\InstallBackup.

My folder is empty. It only contains restore.bat, but it's also empty.

Archived