Real World Flying Experiences

Andrew 737

Hi Guys

Not sure if anyone is bothered but I would love to read about and share RW flying experiences.

I have my (4th attempt) PPL skills test booked in on Tuesday; went for some revision Thursday and all went well but got a bit queasy at the end. There were lots of thermals around as we were up and down around 70-80 (40 ish up and 40 ish down) feet here and there. We started doing steep turns; stalls, go arounds etc and an hour later I felt rough - lunch started repeating on me, the plane was hot...

Good session though apart from this :)

P.S. I haven't failed (and really hope I don't) my test, just been unlucky with the winds. On Monday I went for a few circuits with my instructor; wind was across runway 23 @ 20 gusting 25 kts - sporting to say the least :)

I'm not far behind you at 37.1 hours. My QXC was relaxed and my most enjoyable solo experience. My first solo nav from Southend to Lydd I decided to turn around and go home as I wasnt happy with weather. That knocked my confidence a bit to say the least but I was told I'd made the right decision.

Without a doubt, the weather is the biggest unknown for me. I am generally confident but I always worry about the lack of experience in this area.

I have two written exams left to do and then I will be doing the skills test mock myself.

My school is Southend Flying Club. A good bunch of guys and my instructor looks after me well.

I love reading about other people's experiences so keep them coming. I really believe people can learn a lot from each other by reading about their experiences.

Hi Guys

Not sure if anyone is bothered but I would love to read about and share RW flying experiences.

I have my (4th attempt) PPL skills test booked in on Tuesday; went for some revision Thursday and all went well but got a bit queasy at the end. There were lots of thermals around as we were up and down around 70-80 (40 ish up and 40 ish down) feet here and there. We started doing steep turns; stalls, go arounds etc and an hour later I felt rough - lunch started repeating on me, the plane was hot...

Good session though apart from this :)

P.S. I haven't failed (and really hope I don't) my test, just been unlucky with the winds. On Monday I went for a few circuits with my instructor; wind was across runway 23 @ 20 gusting 25 kts - sporting to say the least :)

I'm not far behind you at 37.1 hours. My QXC was relaxed and my most enjoyable solo experience. My first solo nav from Southend to Lydd I decided to turn around and go home as I wasnt happy with weather. That knocked my confidence a bit to say the least but I was told I'd made the right decision.

Without a doubt, the weather is the biggest unknown for me. I am generally confident but I always worry about the lack of experience in this area.

I have two written exams left to do and then I will be doing the skills test mock myself.

My school is Southend Flying Club. A good bunch of guys and my instructor looks after me well.

I love reading about other people's experiences so keep them coming. I really believe people can learn a lot from each other by reading about their experiences.

That's great guys.  Good luck goes out to both of you, even though you won't need luck to pass your exam as it's all your skill.

I received my PPL October 2004 flying C172s.  Afterwards, couldn't afford my own plane so I always rented.  Flying is a lot of fun.  I haven't flown for about three years, and I miss it.  It just got too expensive for this retired guy.

Safety is always first.  Many times my instructor and I were scheduled to fly, however, the weather would stop us.  And my instructor would always ask me if I wanted fly, and I would say no due to the weather.  And, he would say "good call" every time. 

The day I took my exam, you know I was very nervous.  All I could think of was what my instructor said, "Just fly the plane, you know how."  And, it all worked out except for my short field landing.  It took four tries to put the plane down.  I practiced the short field landing so many times I can't remember, with flaps, but that day the examiner said no flaps.  So, my problem was trying to keep the airspeed down without flaps.  Oh yeah, we had a 50' obstacle at the beginning of the runway.  But, he passed me and said he'd fly with me anytime.  Made me feel pretty good.  After that, I went out ( a couple of days later) and practiced short field landings, without flaps, and pretending to have a 50' obstacle at the start of the runway.

Rod

Hi Hobnobs

I would fly with you any day mate - hearing about sensible decisions is music to my ears mate.

I will tell you about my QXC soon (a bit busy now - with family and the carrenado 337!), that's where I got my 'biggest' wake up call.

Keep up the good work mate.

That's great guys. Good luck goes out to both of you, even though you won't need luck to pass your exam as it's all your skill.

I received my PPL October 2004 flying C172s. Afterwards, couldn't afford my own plane so I always rented. Flying is a lot of fun. I haven't flown for about three years, and I miss it. It just got too expensive for this retired guy.

Safety is always first. Many times my instructor and I were scheduled to fly, however, the weather would stop us. And my instructor would always ask me if I wanted fly, and I would say no due to the weather. And, he would say "good call" every time.

The day I took my exam, you know I was very nervous. All I could think of was what my instructor said, "Just fly the plane, you know how." And, it all worked out except for my short field landing. It took four tries to put the plane down. I practiced the short field landing so many times I can't remember, with flaps, but that day the examiner said no flaps. So, my problem was trying to keep the airspeed down without flaps. Oh yeah, we had a 50' obstacle at the beginning of the runway. But, he passed me and said he'd fly with me anytime. Made me feel pretty good. After that, I went out ( a couple of days later) and practiced short field landings, without flaps, and pretending to have a 50' obstacle at the start of the runway.

Rod

Hey Rod

Thanks for the reassuring and sound words mate.

Re the precision landing - I have always used flaps and 'dragged her in' on the power; without flaps the attitude is going to be a whole different ball game; I will try that next flight (hopefully it won't be skills test :))

I just wish FSX was as well behaved as my little 152 ;)

I think FSX is invaluable as a training tool. Practicing circuits in FSX helped me nail it for real. I use OPUS to help with the turbulence and weather effects as FSX doesn't really model this very well as standard.

My QXC was Southend > Norwich > Cambridge > Southend. Again FSX helped me prepare but not for the Class D airspace at Norwich. The controller was polite but firm when he said "No, write the clearance down and read it back in full."

Playing around the Easyjet A319s at Southend is always fun and I suspect Southend will be Class D soon as well.

Where are your home airports guys?

Real world flying experience well here's my 5 pence worth:

I did my PPL at Stapleford, starting on my 2thth Birthday.  I'd given up working in IT and used the funds from selling my house in Cheshire to pay for ab-initio pilot training.  For me a life long ambition and dream come true.  I flew C152's whilst at Stapleford and took every opportunity to back seat in other students CPL lessons in Warrior's and Arrows, not only a great experience in itself but also helped a great deal. By the end of August I had completed all 7 written exams, the RT license and the skills test.  The in the September of that year Off I went to Florida to do hour building, JAA night rating, IMC rating and MEP rating.  Al my hour building was done in C172.  Being 6'3 or there about I definitely found the C172 far nicer to fly, I had learned to be some what a contortionist to just get in and out of the C152.  Being British I found autumnal Florida too hot so opted to do the IMC rating at night straight after getting the night rating.  Flying at night is really quite amazing.  I did the MEP rating in the Dutchess which is a lovely aeroplane to fly. 

The stand out the memories for me were: Key West (even I felt sane there lol), West Palm Beach (there used to be an awesome curry house 2 blocks away from PBI, in fact the best I found in the whole of Florida lol), Ft Lauderdale Hollywood Int (an easterly departure is very interesting out over the docks if you're heavy) but I would say my favourite (there was so many scenic places) was Everglades Airpark, its a small runway and as a recently qualified PPL quite a challenging flight.  The first time I flew there we had a gator on the runway.  A first for me, another first for me at St Lucie County Int, being told by ground to turn left at the turtle laugh.png another one being asked by St Lucie Tower to do a left orbit at about the inner marker because a student Pan Am pilot (Pappa Alpha's) was about to cut me up on final  help_s.gif   I think they were all Far East student pilots with a minimal grasp of English lol, suffice to say doing a 360 on final at the inner marker with a rather large mast very close was a brown pants moment.  Hell I could go on for ages about the 6 months I spent in Florida but would bore you all half to death.

Here's a pic of me from when I was younger had some hair and was a fair bit slimmer lol at Punta Gorda

MeFlorida1.jpg

This is of me Flying N106JK (this was my favourite 172 lol) on a short flight down to Boca Raton.  There used to be a video of my landing at Boca online somewhere that a friend posted and I swear it was the best landing I've ever done in a 172, holding it on the stall warning in the flair and the two mains kissing to asphalt - bliss.

MeFlorida2_zps9eb22c15.jpg

106JK_zps3ce53a04.jpg

I regret not talking more picture while I was there but I've never been the photographic type lol.

Nice reads. I am at 34 hours on an old straight-tail C150 (from 1958) in KHWO - North Perry in South Florida, (south of Ft. Lauderdale and just north of Opa-Locka). Haven't soloed yet but soon. I am not so young anymore at 58 so it takes time to get things right. I love it. Passed the medical but have not done any tests yet. My instructor is private with his own aircraft (no school) so I do theory on my own from countless books and the web.

My strongest wind day was 16/20 (last week) and we did cross-wind landings. Not too bad but with some turbulence at times.

Real world flying experience well here's my 5 pence worth:

I did my PPL at Stapleford, starting on my 2thth Birthday.  I'd given up working in IT and used the funds from selling my house in Cheshire to pay for ab-initio pilot training.  For me a life long ambition and dream come true.  I flew C152's whilst at Stapleford and took every opportunity to back seat in other students CPL lessons in Warrior's and Arrows, not only a great experience in itself but also helped a great deal. By the end of August I had completed all 7 written exams, the RT license and the skills test.  The in the September of that year Off I went to Florida to do hour building, JAA night rating, IMC rating and MEP rating.  Al my hour building was done in C172.  Being 6'3 or there about I definitely found the C172 far nicer to fly, I had learned to be some what a contortionist to just get in and out of the C152.  Being British I found autumnal Florida too hot so opted to do the IMC rating at night straight after getting the night rating.  Flying at night is really quite amazing.  I did the MEP rating in the Dutchess which is a lovely aeroplane to fly. 

The stand out the memories for me were: Key West (even I felt sane there lol), West Palm Beach (there used to be an awesome curry house 2 blocks away from PBI, in fact the best I found in the whole of Florida lol), Ft Lauderdale Hollywood Int (an easterly departure is very interesting out over the docks if you're heavy) but I would say my favourite (there was so many scenic places) was Everglades Airpark, its a small runway and as a recently qualified PPL quite a challenging flight.  The first time I flew there we had a gator on the runway.  A first for me, another first for me at St Lucie County Int, being told by ground to turn left at the turtle laugh.png another one being asked by St Lucie Tower to do a left orbit at about the inner marker because a student Pan Am pilot (Pappa Alpha's) was about to cut me up on final  help_s.gif   I think they were all Far East student pilots with a minimal grasp of English lol, suffice to say doing a 360 on final at the inner marker with a rather large mast very close was a brown pants moment.  Hell I could go on for ages about the 6 months I spent in Florida but would bore you all half to death.

Here's a pic of me from when I was younger had some hair and was a fair bit slimmer lol at Punta Gorda

MeFlorida1.jpg

This is of me Flying N106JK (this was my favourite 172 lol) on a short flight down to Boca Raton.  There used to be a video of my landing at Boca online somewhere that a friend posted and I swear it was the best landing I've ever done in a 172, holding it on the stall warning in the flair and the two mains kissing to asphalt - bliss.

MeFlorida2_zps9eb22c15.jpg

106JK_zps3ce53a04.jpg

I regret not talking more picture while I was there but I've never been the photographic type lol.

Fantastic

Please please please bore us more :)

A fantastic story to share

Nice reads. I am at 34 hours on an old straight-tail C150 (from 1958) in KHWO - North Perry in South Florida, (south of Ft. Lauderdale and just north of Opa-Locka). Haven't soloed yet but soon. I am not so young anymore at 58 so it takes time to get things right. I love it. Passed the medical but have not done any tests yet. My instructor is private with his own aircraft (no school) so I do theory on my own from countless books and the web.

My strongest wind day was 16/20 (last week) and we did cross-wind landings. Not too bad but with some turbulence at times.

Keep it up Alex

Never too old my friend :)

I flew a 150 straight tail in Paphos a couple of summer ago

I just wish FSX was as well behaved as my little 152 ;)

I think FSX is invaluable as a training tool. Practicing circuits in FSX helped me nail it for real. I use OPUS to help with the turbulence and weather effects as FSX doesn't really model this very well as standard.

My QXC was Southend > Norwich > Cambridge > Southend. Again FSX helped me prepare but not for the Class D airspace at Norwich. The controller was polite but firm when he said "No, write the clearance down and read it back in full."

Playing around the Easyjet A319s at Southend is always fun and I suspect Southend will be Class D soon as well.

Where are your home airports guys?

Egsc is my home

We get lots of interesting planes there.

My fav flight was Paphos to Larnaca; orbiting on right base and watching the jets coming in to land :)

My 9 year old son was in the left seat (I was in the back) he did the approach and the instructor rounded out, held off and flared with him :)

I Flew back

Here's a pic of me . . . at Punta Gorda

Cool! I'm from North Carolina, but, about eight years ago when I was 12, I lived in Punta Gorda temporarily for about five weeks. My dad was a FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) contractor, and we went down there after they were hit by a hurricane.

And, as said above, feel free to bore us with more stories! :)

Cool! I'm from North Carolina, but, about eight years ago when I was 12, I lived in Punta Gorda temporarily for about five weeks. My dad was a FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) contractor, and we went down there after they were hit by a hurricane.

And, as said above, feel free to bore us with more stories! :)

That coincides with when I was in Florida too.  I arrived in the Sept after the hurricane and one of the clearest memories over than how much of Florida looks the same and how big lake Okeechobee is was how many roofs had blue tarps on them.  On the ramp at St Lucie there was a C172 that had been destroyed by the hurricane and an Albatross with quite substantial damage.

Around 700 Hrs PIC Single Seat Glider's including

Astir, Hornet, Jantar2, Kookaburra, Blanik L13, Cirrus, ASW20. PIK 20

Around 150 Hrs P1 C152,172,182,

Approx 50 P2 C206,
50 Hrs P2 in friends Bonanza, Cherokee, Mooney 

The main reason I say Around and approximately,  I can't find my Logbooks :( NOT a happy camper as these are precious legal documents. ) 

Some insane amount of Sim hours like the rest of us :P 

All GA though I can't stand the big stuff. 

Around 700 Hrs PIC Single Seat Glider's including

Astir, Hornet, Jantar2, Kookaburra, Blanik L13, Cirrus, ASW20. PIK 20

Around 150 Hrs P1 C152,172,182,

Approx 50 P2 C206,

50 Hrs P2 in friends Bonanza, Cherokee, Mooney 

The main reason I say Around and approximately,  I can't find my Logbooks :( NOT a happy camper as these are precious legal documents. ) 

Some insane amount of Sim hours like the rest of us :P 

All GA though I can't stand the big stuff.

Nice Maurice

Some 'stand out' moments to share? :)

I kinda like the manual flaps but sometimes I have trouble finding the lock point for #3 setting (30 deg). On the plus side, you can set them fast in an emergency and they do not need power.

CPL, 740 hrs and Instrument Rating. Twin endorsed, the usual BE76, PA44, PN68 but the highlight was my C340 pressurised flying (too short, only about 12 hours).

Own a Mooney M20M Bravo (VH-TLS) and Beech BE24 Sierra (VH-ZYX).

Highlights: 5 return trips to YBCS in the Sierra (13 hrs each way!), delivery flight YPJT to YMMB in the Bravo and my first venture into Flight Levels and on oxygen. Darwin to Tasmania and Melbourne/Central Australia/North Queensland/Tasmania in a previous Mooney in the '80's.

CPL, 740 hrs and Instrument Rating. Twin endorsed, the usual BE76, PA44, PN68 but the highlight was my C340 pressurised flying (too short, only about 12 hours).

Own a Mooney M20M Bravo (VH-TLS) and Beech BE24 Sierra (VH-ZYX).

Highlights: 5 return trips to YBCS in the Sierra (13 hrs each way!), delivery flight YPJT to YMMB in the Bravo and my first venture into Flight Levels and on oxygen. Darwin to Tasmania and Melbourne/Central Australia/North Queensland/Tasmania in a previous Mooney in the '80's.

'Wow' an impressive CV there; would love to see some pics if you have any

Nice post pal :)

Solo, yep, anyone who as a Private license will remember this day forever. No real stress apart the the plane feel so light (my instructor was 220 pounds).

relax on your exam, the guys is not there to sink you. I don't know how hard your licenses is in England and what you have to do in the air but I guess it's similar???

Here in Canada we are renown to have very hard exam, the hood is now part of the exam, it was not not so long ago. Spin, stall and spiral need to be perfect. Same goes for level flight (altitude VS degree). Me, I had like 100% in the air but sunk a section of the written exam: weather... the good thing Is after a month I could take it back, only weather because I had over 70% for the rest.

In my school I was the only French Canadian... ha ha. People from all over the world where here??? Never got this one.

Commercial was expensive and not so easy. The exam is way harder and I have failed this one once (in the air). Navigation and preparation was the big thing.

Now those days with GPS.. it's a breeze to fly. I'll show you my  first knee pad later, it's still the way it was 15-20 years ago.

I stop mid way into multi engine because I was out of money...never finished this one. My dream was to be a commercial pilot. No way I would do so because the pay was not good at all.

On top the only way to accumulate decent hours was to go fly in the northern part of Quebec in very difficult year round condition with about no salary.

At least I tried and I'm very happy to have done so. It's now about 2 years since I have flown.

My Prefered plane was the srurdy Cougar

ga7_3.jpg

ga7cougar_martinstephen.jpg

The Arrow being my second best

Arrow-3-4-view-large.jpg

Much memories.

Cheers, Ben

Solo, yep, anyone who as a Private license will remember this day forever. No real stress apart the the plane feel so light (my instructor was 220 pounds).

relax on your exam, the guys is not there to sink you. I don't know how hard your licenses is in England and what you have to do in the air but I guess it's similar???

Here in Canada we are renown to have very hard exam, the hood is now part of the exam, it was not not so long ago. Spin, stall and spiral need to be perfect. Same goes for level flight (altitude VS degree). Me, I had like 100% in the air but sunk a section of the written exam: weather... the good thing Is after a month I could take it back, only weather because I had over 70% for the rest.

In my school I was the only French Canadian... ha ha. People from all over the world where here??? Never got this one.

Commercial was expensive and not so easy. The exam is way harder and I have failed this one once (in the air). Navigation and preparation was the big thing.

Now those days with GPS.. it's a breeze to fly. I'll show you my first knee pad later, it's still the way it was 15-20 years ago.

I stop mid way into multi engine because I was out of money...never finished this one. My dream was to be a commercial pilot. No way I would do so because the pay was not good at all.

On top the only way to accumulate decent hours was to go fly in the northern part of Quebec in very difficult year round condition with about no salary.

At least I tried and I'm very happy to have done so. It's now about 2 years since I have flown.

My Prefered plane was the srurdy Cougar

ga7_3.jpg

ga7cougar_martinstephen.jpg

The Arrow being my second best

Arrow-3-4-view-large.jpg

Much memories.

Cheers, Ben

Good to hear I am not the only one that stuggled with meteorology. I think I found it hard because the theory can be hard to grasp. Anabatic lapse rates = mind blown.

I was sad to hear you haven't flown in 2 years because it sounds like you got some good training under your belt.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

Good to hear I am not the only one that stuggled with meteorology. I think I found it hard because the theory can be hard to grasp. Anabatic lapse rates = mind blown.

I was sad to hear you haven't flown in 2 years because it sounds like you got some good training under your belt.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

It's to expensive lately, at least for me. The monthly checkup to keep your rating (on one plane) is not something I can afford. Got a mortgage now :-  It's nice when you can bring friends and they share the fee but alone. The sim and RC plane are filling my need... for now. My plan on the long therm is to built my own kit plane. I have studied as airplane fabrication for 3 years. That should help :-)

It's to expensive lately, at least for me. The monthly checkup to keep your rating (on one plane) is not something I can afford. Got a mortgage now :- It's nice when you can bring friends and they share the fee but alone. The sim and RC plane are filling my need... for now. My plan on the long therm is to built my own kit plane. I have studied as airplane fabrication for 3 years. That should help :-)

Building your own? That is a leap of faith as the first time you fly it you are a test pilot. That takes balls, and putting aside the achievement of building it, you have my respect when you decide to try. Perhaps I will just watch though. ;)

Building your own? That is a leap of faith as the first time you fly it you are a test pilot. That takes balls, and putting aside the achievement of building it, you have my respect when you decide to try. Perhaps I will just watch though. ;)

Ha ha ha....

I have built stuff larger than this one.

150extra260_03.jpg

Built over 100 other RC scale airplane. I'm also a mechanic and have my own shop. I installed converted Subaru engine and put them in VW camper! But it's a dream! Without dream life as no meaning for me.

I have learned with an older version of the E6B, I'm sure that there is many apps now for intelligent phone. It now sell for 79$, I remember paying like 300$ 20+ year ago. (new one shown in the picture).

9343.jpg

Congratulations Andrew, big achievement. :)

Would appreciate a write up if you get the chance since I am maybe a month behind you!

Best wishes

Hi Hobnobs

I will write up :)

Just a bit tired and off to Ireland for 5 days; I will then write up - if I forget please nudge me

Thanks for the encouragement :)

BRAVO!!!

Thanks

Thanks Andrew. BTW it is said that some dreams might come true....

The picture below shows my instructor heading away from the aircraft and leaving me for my first ever solo. I was so damn nervous. That was back in july 1997 @ Buckeye Mun/AZ about 30 miles west of KPHX.

STt4D.jpg

It was an F33A Beechcraft Bonanza actually. I was trained at Lufthansa Pilot School and that was the training concept back then. 156 hours in F33A and 30-40 in the B58 Beech Baron. At the time of this shot i had only 20 hours of actual flying in the Bonanza. It was a hell of a challenge. Besides the retracktable gear it has all the fancy IFR gizmos inside. I lved to fly the F33A. I think Carenado did a F33. Nice plane to fly and train.

@William

Yes that is correct.

Hi Mickey

I can't get a class 1 medical; already lost my class 2 for a year :(

I'm happy enough, get to fly and building my cockpit :)

I was convinced it was a joke when my instructor sent me on my first solo; all the way to the holding point I thought ATC were going to call me back!!!!

Got lined up, power in and the rest is history as they say :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lesson Learned...

Today I flew a short nav detail as 'Pilot In Command' (no 'Student' call sign) for the first time ever - EGSC to my departure point of 6 Mile Bottom, a short trip (6NM) to Wratting Common Disused field, then on to Bury St Edmunds (14NM) and back to EGSC.

Yesterday evening I planned everything as I normally would (and i'm normally pretty thorough) with 1 exception, I usually write a 'Full' departure brief so I can fly it on my sim (or in my mind whilst looking at the chart), but this time I didnt - I'm a pilot now...

I have flown to this departure point a few times, but, always off runway 23 (follow the train track directly to it!); the surface wind was 040@10kts, hence we used 05 today. Couple that with about 9k vis, haze and CB's at 2400ft, it was harder to identify. I should have written the brief (that always consisits of 'both' runways) and I would have been right on the money or I should have departed from the overhead and been right on the money.

My wife bought me an airnav GPS for passing my test so i had that with me; I couldnt quite identify 6 mile bottom so I orbited around the 6 mile bottom wind farm and turned on the GPS which i used to get to Wratting Common; from there I turned it off and did my TTTT (Twist Turn Time Talk), set course to Bury, FREDA (Fuel Radio Engine DI/Compass Altitude) checks and all was ok in the world :)

Had I not had the AirNav? I would have turned back and bashed some circuits! :)

The lesson learned was PPPPPP!

I would really love to learn from your experiances too guys - please post?

Hello Andrew,

glad to hear that you have lots of fun ridin by yourself. The weather wasnt too bad for a quick spin ;)

One thing i can tell you is something about CB´s and how fast they can travel. First (i think you herd that a lot of times from your Instructor ;) stay away from these buggers they travel pretty fast and they can kill you in seconds. LAst year i made the experience how fast a medium rainshower/TCU can travel.

We´ve been on downwind for RWY28 @ Nürnberg EDDN Temprature was around 22°C with Scatered 3000 TCU Tempo TSRA -RA The guy in the right hand seat had about 150hrs on the CR7 he was PilotFlying on that leg. The shower came from the south to pass the airport westerly ca 6NM away we passed north in front of it encountering light to medium bumps. By the time we turned to final the shower was right in the missed approach sector of RWY28 giving the new guy a hard time controlling the plane. We ended up hitting the thrustl ever to max detend to perform a balked landing hovering at 30 feet above the RWY till the turbo fans spooled up with their full thrust.

Talking about go arounds. Yesterday we observed an Emirates  B777-300 shooting a missed app below minimum at Prague airport. The weather was quite nice Temps around 25°C few clouds winds easterly at 10 but with a whole bunch of medium thermals in the approach path. It looked a bit like the KSFO situation few weeks ago. The 777 rocked wildly with the wings before they decide to go around. It looked pretty scary though. They stated wind shear as reason for missed app. Behind the 777 was a Speedbird their statement about the wind situation was typically british (yea the wind is fine there a just a few thermals and light bumps ;)

Was strange cause no crew including us encountered wind shear on final before and after the 777....But who knows how the situation really was in the 777.

Tomorrow i have m "ready for final line check" ride. We will fly Munich-(EDDM)-Münster/Osnabrück(EDDG) and EDDM-Paris Charles de Gaulles(LFPG) same schedule wil be for my final check ride next week. Then for god sake i´ll finish my conversion from CRJ to E190/195 i started in mid may. Till today everything should be fine for next week and my training went pretty good so far.

Hello Andrew,

glad to hear that you have lots of fun ridin by yourself. The weather wasnt too bad for a quick spin ;)

One thing i can tell you is something about CB´s and how fast they can travel. First (i think you herd that a lot of times from your Instructor ;) stay away from these buggers they travel pretty fast and they can kill you in seconds. LAst year i made the experience how fast a medium rainshower/TCU can travel.

We´ve been on downwind for RWY28 @ Nürnberg EDDN Temprature was around 22°C with Scatered 3000 TCU Tempo TSRA -RA The guy in the right hand seat had about 150hrs on the CR7 he was PilotFlying on that leg. The shower came from the south to pass the airport westerly ca 6NM away we passed north in front of it encountering light to medium bumps. By the time we turned to final the shower was right in the missed approach sector of RWY28 giving the new guy a hard time controlling the plane. We ended up hitting the thrustl ever to max detend to perform a balked landing hovering at 30 feet above the RWY till the turbo fans spooled up with their full thrust.

Talking about go arounds. Yesterday we observed an Emirates B777-300 shooting a missed app below minimum at Prague airport. The weather was quite nice Temps around 25°C few clouds winds easterly at 10 but with a whole bunch of medium thermals in the approach path. It looked a bit like the KSFO situation few weeks ago. The 777 rocked wildly with the wings before they decide to go around. It looked pretty scary though. They stated wind shear as reason for missed app. Behind the 777 was a Speedbird their statement about the wind situation was typically british (yea the wind is fine there a just a few thermals and light bumps ;)

Was strange cause no crew including us encountered wind shear on final before and after the 777....But who knows how the situation really was in the 777.

Tomorrow i have m "ready for final line check" ride. We will fly Munich-(EDDM)-Münster/Osnabrück(EDDG) and EDDM-Paris Charles de Gaulles(LFPG) same schedule wil be for my final check ride next week. Then for god sake i´ll finish my conversion from CRJ to E190/195 i started in mid may. Till today everything should be fine for next week and my training went pretty good so far.

Hi Mickey

First (I'm 100% sure you don't need it but out of courtesy) I wish you the best with regards to completing your conversion - total respect buddy, total respect.

I only got surprised by a CB once, last summer I think. I had just been out with my instructor (young lady in her 20's called Catherine - brilliant young pilot) and as we were joining crosswind for 23 at Cambridge we could see a few scattered CB's; the one closest (did not look that close at all at the time) must have had lots of energy built up in there because it shook us about a fair bit even from a little way away. Ever since then I have always been minded to give those bad boys a wide berth, with a view to divert round them or turn back. However, I have never really considered the speed at which they can travel, I think I will discuss this next time I'm at the club.

I really appreciate your story here, it will definitely help me be safer, but I really enjoy reading about your experiences - thanks Mickey.

Re the T7, it just goes to show that these things can shake a big heavy bird like that, how strong they can be.

Look forward to your next post :)

Archived