New GTX 280

Graham Eccleston

I've just ordered a new GeForce GTX 280 to replace my 8800 Ultra and on checking my system, a Dell XPS 720, I find my graphics card power supply is via 2 x 6 pin plugs while the GTX 280 requires 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 8 pin plugs.

The technicians advising me on the transaction have said my 2 x 6 pin set-up will be fine, the 2 extra pins will remain empty and that is OK.

Am I being correctly advised, or is this just salesmen telling me anything to get the sale?

I will cancel the order if this problem is a 'show stopper'.

I have some experience on this one...

Yes, the card will run....okay...but it will NOT run at full power, unless its getting all the juice it was designed for. Now most of us agree that a GPU over an 8800 Ultra will not increase FPS in FSX lots, but some. With that in mind, and you current power plugs, you could say that the 280 card WILL get enough power to make a difference in FSX, since FSX is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent. Now if you want to be able to run that 280 GTX at its full capacity for other games, then keep in mind that until you upgrade your power supply, it won't be running at full speed. That's the good news...

Tha bad news is that it might not get enough power to properly boot up your system, which is what happened to me a while back, when I tried to upgrade from a 8800 GTS to a 9800 Gx2. The difference in the plugs was the same problem your having, and techs for the 9800 Gx2 told me the same thing they told you. Reality for my system is that the card just would not work right, even though it was getting enough power to physically appear running normally (i.e. the fan was running, and the led lights on the video card came on).

That's what I have for ya... your mileage may very...

ggeccles many foks don't understand the tech involved and think upgrading will have gains.......... Well! too some degree this is true but in most cases a gain is obtained when you factor in many of the hardware specs. The new Intel I7 CPU has too much horsepower for even a GTX 280 because the graphics card is a bottle neck at this stage hence you will not see the full potential of the I7 CPU until a newer GPU is produced which takes on-board the architecture.

The same can be said if you purchase a GTX 280 but run it on an older MOBO while the card can handle it all the limiting factor now is the older MOBO hence that the graphic card will not run at it's full potential so it's a balancing act. The latest and greatest isn't always the best answer/result that is why so many folks around here are just not getting the performance they seek but could do if they matched there hardware along with using tweaks.

Then there is the issue with the power supply if there isn't enough juice to run your new upgrade or graphic cards it might just scrape in but again the performance isn't there so this whole matching hardware is very closely related to results at the end of the day.

What MOBO do you have?

Thanks for that Sniper31,

I was seriously thinking of cancelling and if the net gain is going to be limited, and with the potential for problems, I may as well save my money now and upgrade to a new computer later.

You've made me feel more comfortable with that decision.

Glad I could be of service ggeccles, your very welcome.

My EVGA 280 came with a 2x6 pin to 8 pin adapter. Works just fine. I am sure you can purchase such a thing separate as well (somewhere).

Which brand is it ? Maybe you can see something on their homepage regarding accessories.

Interesting....I always buy EVGA cards, including my last two 8800 Ultra cards, and my current 260 card, and none of them came with a 2x6 to 8 pin adapter...they ALL did come with the older, large 4 pin to the smaller 2x6 pin adapters though.....are we talking about the same adapter's here, or different ones?

Mango, gotcha...that plug adapter did not come with my 260 GTX. 

What one must wonder though, is why did the technicians that ggecles talk to not tell him about that adapter, because that looks like it would work just fine.

Thanks for the info guys. I've now cancelled the order for the 280 but should I now be considering the 260. The specs are not as good as the 280, but would there be a noticeable improvement over my current 8800 Ultra.

Frames are not a problem at the moment, it's just that scenery sometimes takes longer than I would like to focus and textures can take 3, 4 or 5 sec. to appear. I don't want to 'dumb down' my FSX settings as I believe my system should be capable of giving me a pretty good ride.

Last night I experienced a new problem, stutters. While flying around in the Carenado 152 at Coffs the sim kept on pausing for short periods of about 2 to 4 sec. In the year or so I've had my current Dell, I have never had that problem.

I am open to any thoughts and advice from those with greater knowledge than me on these matters.

I too had some stutters not to long ago, before I upgraded my system. My stutters were not as long as yours, more like 1-2 seconds. What cleared them for me was to change from 'Unlocked' fps to a locked setting (I used 70). That fixed the problem for me. After upgrading my system to the specs I have now, I tried 'Unlocked' mode again, and I no longer have the stutters anymore. Not sure what was causing it with my older components, but I upgraded the mobo, cpu, ram and went from Vista 32 to 64 bit, so who knows.

As for your video card question, it is hard to say. I went with the 260 instead of the 280 simply because of cost to performance. The 280 was significantly more money for me, and I was able to buy a 260 Superclocked edition over the regualr 260 and it runs pretty durn fast. Plus, if you buy an EVGA video card (any model), they come with a handy little utility program called EVGA Precision. This utility lets the user very easily overclock the video card GPU and memory on the card. It also gives you temp readings for the card, and also has a setting which I really like, that overlays an accurate FPS counter onto any screen. When flying in FSX I refer to the EVGA Precision counter and compare it to the default FSX one to see the differences. A new 260 or 280 should help accomplish what you said above as far as loading textures faster, but will it be fast enough to suit you? Only you will be able to decide that I'm afraid.

Well, 260 or 280... Look at the specs and you'll see the difference - it's not only the clock speed. Btw, the 280 over clocks like mad. Not sure how much more you can squeeze out of the 260 which is probably running on the edge already. In the end it's a budget thing - if the price difference doesn't kill you, go for the 280. So you won't regret it in the future.

Hi

I have a 280gtx but the power supply I use an Amptac Pyramid 850w has two lines for the graphics card. One was the six pin block and the other a six pin block with another teo pin block that slips into the side of it. Runs a treat.  Mango I think I read in another post that your card is water cooled.  Would you mind writting some info on how you did it ,what you used and what settings you used on your over clock... I know Im sounding pushy but it really sounds intrieging. :)

Krono, i bought the 280 ready assembled as a water cooled edition. There are separate cooler available, but this way i keep the warranty and it's sometimes a bit tricky to do it yourself.

For the over clock i use the EVGA Precission tool which is part of software CD. You can download it from EVGA as well when you are registered there (not sure if it works with other brands). I got the card to 756/2800 but that made me a bit nervous... ;D. So i pulled back a notch for everyday use.

That's the one :

Posted Image

Thanks Mango

I have downloaded the EVGA presician tool and it works fine on the winfast leadtech gtx280. I had it running at 712/1350/1533 for a while.  It was running at 62 degrees with fan on auto, I hope thats not too hot although the fan was still only at 40 percent so I suppose that would be fine.

By the way the plug that is the 6 pin with an extra 2 pin adapter for the 280 simply connects the two outer pins to the ones next to them, if that makes sense , if not I can get a photo.    eg          1  2               

3  4                  six pin connector

5  6                   

|  |                  the | denotes the wire joiner.

7  8                  two pin connector

Archived