Region packs water textures

Kim Sibbritt

Hi Kim,

not really because they are tied to seasonal features of each region's waterbodies, like the automatic freezing in winter or seasonal flooding (in Australia).

If you don't mind losing those features you can experiment by removing all 3xxb2sux.bmp files from a region's [...]08_CUSTOM\texture folder (e.g., "301b2su1.bmp" to "353b2su7.bmp" from \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_SAK08_CUSTOM\texture for the SAK water textures) along with all "_WC_" .bgl files from the corresponding  [...]08_CUSTOM\scenery folder.

Having said that all that our custom water textures change is the base color, all other components, such as reflection properties, dynamic wave patterns, shaders, etc., are still influenced just like the default textures by replacements like REX as well as display settings and local weather.

Cheers, Holger

Having said that all that our custom water textures change is the base color.

Is it in any way possible to change the default FSX water colors into the 'usual' FTX regions water colors by using REX, maybe...? The default water often is too light or blue and FTX regions often have darker colors that look more realistic. Does Orbx use specific settings or numbers or is it impossible to give some general suggestions for this and do I have to experiment with REX myself? Would be cool if there was some sort of Orbx preset in REX that would change various things into Orbx-like colors etc. with one click of a button! ;)

Hi Jeroen,

while in theory one could match the FTX water textures to default equivalents the problem would be with the waterclass files that tell the sim where to place which texture. Default FSX only uses a handful of different textures (=colors) for inland waterbodies, which we find too limiting. Thus, our custom waterclass files for the regions reassign some of the inlet and ocean water classes as lake or river classes. In other words, the texture names (the 3xxb2sux.bmp files I mentioned above) generally don't match the default water types. In short, you'd have to familiarize yourself with the FSX Terrain SDK, then use TMFViewer and DXTBmp to get data on placement and RGB values, and then use that to do the manual tweaks in REX. It would seem to me that Wolter's suggestion to find alternate approaches for less blue default water is a lot easier.

Cheers, Holger

FTX has the best waterclasses going anywhere esp for inland water.  Stay with FTX, and if you have REX and FSWC (which I do) and as Wolter says you can change the look of waves and shaders to achieve a balance that works for you.

Archived