A very civil Wimpey

VH-KDK

The Vickers Viking was a civil version of the Wellington bomber. The Wellington, which was the mainstay of Bomber Command in the early years of WW2, was affectionaly known as the Wimpey.

The first of 163 Vikings flew in 1945 and they carried on in service until the mid 60s. The wings were of geodetic construction but the fuselage was of conventional design.

G-AJPH was fitted with 2 Rolls Royce Nene jet engines and thus became the worlds first pure jet transport aircraft.

Todays flight takes us from Leeds-Bradford Airport across the Pennines to Manchester. Only a short hop but still plenty of vs.

1.QFxJU.jpg

Taking off from Leeds-Bradford with a Tu154 in the background.

2.NfPdI.jpg

The River Aire with Yeadon and Guisley next to the airport.

3.eD8xv.jpg

Over Bradford, Leeds is in the distance.

4.MqpBc.jpg

Upper left is Halifax, below the nose is Brighouse and on the right is Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike.

5.XDzYF.jpg

The M62 crosses the Pennines to Lancashire. Below is Huddersfield, the other side of the M62 is Elland and Halifax in the distance.

6.5hWdH.jpg

Butterley Dam and Marsden are to the left of the Viking.

7.3qsMw.jpg

Descending over Dovestones Reservoir. Greenfield and Uppermill are just to the left of the water.

8. VMw5f.jpg

Bleaklow and Doctors Gate are behind the town of Glossop.

9.BWSKn.jpg

A big junction on the M60 at Bredbury with Stockport next and Manchester Airport in the distance.

10.RVwCW.jpg

Not far now. Just have to avoid the jets taking off from the opposite direction. Good job at least I know what I am doing.

11.05Z1k.jpg

A straight railway track at Heald Green. The high rise in central Manchester can be seen.

12.DGxXj.jpg

Close up of VC.1 Viking G-AHPS.

13.h3RDN.jpg

The old and the new together.

Very nice mate.

cheers

Iain

What an odd looking plane...

Thanks for this interesting set.

Mallard

Yes they were unusual to say the least, I can just remember seeing them.

Thank you both for your comments and interest.

Well done set Martyn , you sure know your way around . I feel like a duck out of water when I am

flying over in the British Isles .

Cheers

Brad

Thanks Brad, but I am the same in your part of the world. It is interesting flying around discovering new places.

Archived